I am new but does anyone have a cough with there Fib

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by romie, Oct 6, 2005.

1. romie

romie New Member

Like I said I am new here....have had Fibromyalgia for about 8 years or so now longer but at least they got tired of me showing up and saying I hurt and I am tired and,etc so they gave me a name for my problems...then about three years ago it got so bad I had to give up working but SSD says I am not sick...OK sorry that was venting
    Here is my question.....I got a cough to go along all of the above, we are talking about cought to you lose your breath and or throw up.....Been to more DR than I can count for the cough.....no answer....so now I take pain pills for the cough and the pain.....at least one drug for two things....save some money there....but I still hurt....and I still cough and I am hooked on drugs....
    I lived 54 years to say I am hooked on drugs...
    But then the other day in the Dentest office when I could not let him finish putting on a crown becouse of the cough he started asking me questions about my problems.....the either he used on the crown before he was going to "glue" in it place brought on the cough....could not stop....
    so he said it sounded like a neurologal problem....
    At this point I would try anything but again he could be saying I am crazy LOL But there are a lot of people out there with this problem but does anyone have a cough that will not respond to anything except the hard drugs? I have had every test they could think of....even was sent to Scott White Medical Research and they had not answer..all he could say was he could send me to the Mayo clinic....but I don't have that kind of money. Or should I put my money on drug rehap and see a shrink and let them tell me the pain is all in my head? LOL I have to laugh or I would just cry all the time.....even if my joke are stupid
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

You say that you've had all the tests that the docs could think of. Perhaps it's caused by a variant of asthma that manifests as a cough only with no "tightness" of the broncials. Or do you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)? That can cause a chronic cough. Also, swallowing problems due to a stroke or other neurological diseases can also be a source of a chronic cough. That's why the dentist said that it could be neurological. Have you had neurological follow-up? If not, you probably should.

Take care and let us know what you find out about that cough. Meanwhile, take the cough medicine / pain medicine if it's helping and consider using a cool air mist vaporizer at night while sleeping.

Wish I could sleep - having a bout of insomnia right now! ;<)

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  3. romie

romie New Member

Sorry you cannot sleep also I know that the cough is not a side effect of Fibo......just was wondering if anyone out there had a cough that they could not find the reason for........sometime I think the cough is worse than anything....you get to sleep and then you wake up coughing.....
    We are taking about pull your ribs out cough.....there has to be someone out there with the cough from h---- and I would like to know what there Dr. said..
    But will follow up on the advice......and let everyone know.....
    But I am new here and if I vent too much please say so.....but the dog thinks it is play time if I sit down and start venting at her........she thinks I am saying go get your toy and and we will play..........and my husband has so much on his plate and is so good I do not want to worry him anymore than he does.
    Just tell me to shut up .....
    I will understand.......
    But may today be a good day for us all I pray for everyone that has this when I pray......used to just pray for myself then I started to understand there was a LOT of us and so now it is Please let all of us have a better day with less pain pills, and send everyone at least a friend that is as good as my husband is for them to lean on.
    But all of our friends and husbands need a break also so send us the others through our keyboard that need people that want to share, ask questions and give advice and just read our venting so we can help eachother.
    Romie..........
    also if it is allowed to give out our e-mails here I would love to hear from anyone that needs a friend to just be there when they need someone to write to about anything that is too personal for a message board.........just to "talk" to a friend through email....
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I was wondering the same thing, that you might be sensitive to some environmental triggers. The other thing I thought of is that it might be viral since so many of us with these diseases have viruses.
    I have a chronic cough but it is nowhere near as bad as you describe. As has been suggested,I would encourage you to read all the information you can here and perhaps try to find a Doctor who specializes in FM/CFS.
    CFS is considered a neurological disease by many.

Good luck and it's OK to keep venting. Ask all the questions you like.

Kathy.
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

It is either an ACE or a channel blocker...but I think it's an ACE...they make you cough! A doc gave me an ACE for BP once, and I, who have no coughing problems at all, began coughing all day long. I was glad he had warned me beforehand; later,some doc gave me another one,I didn't realize it, and I began coughing again. I checked and got it changed.

Many have given other reasons, so you have lots of response. I just hope you find what works for you and you can start getting things under control soon. It seems like something should be figured out by now with all the medical consultation you have had.

Oh! Welcome! Glad you found us. Hope all is better soon.

Sue