I am new to board.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

First of all, thanks to everyone who posts on this board. I've learned a great deal about FM. Maybe this is what I have . . . my Ortho thinks it's a possibility.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?!?

About 2.5 yrs ago my legs began aching @ nite. I could find relief by lying on my back & plac'g a pillow under my knees. Then in Apr I began having a mild case of shin splints . . . full-blown by June. Ortho said I had shin splints & tendonitis in my legs. Went to PT. They did ASTM (augmented soft tissue massage) . . . sounds good, huh? No way . . . they use acrylic instruments to scrape up and down your legs to break up scar tissue. Then new scar tissue is suppose to form which you in turn stretch w/exercise. My legs were black & blue from knees to ankles. At 1st it seemed to work & maybe it has done a little to help my situation. Was also given anti-inflammatory meds which did not help one iota. Then about a mo. ago I began having severe pain in both arms, shoulders, my knees, my hips and upper back. ASTM was stopped. I was put on Robaxin . . . no help at all. Then Flexeril which may be helping some (am suppose to take 3x day but only take 1x day @ bedtime . . it makes me a little spacey). Still have pain but not as severe. PT was restarted for shoulder,arm & hip pain. I have appt with Rhuematologist @ end of this mo.

A little background: I'm 57, and like all of you, I've been very active all my life. Worked until 4 yrs ago, then quit to take care of parents. In 3/2000, I lost my Dad suddenly (the same day my mother-in-law had leg amputed).
    M-in-L died 6 days later. Then only nephew was killed in auto accident a few mos. later. Step father got sick with lung cancer @ end of 2000 & died in 3/2001. My mom lost eyesight in 2/2001 plus she's bi-polar and has addn'l health problems. (in other words . . . lots of stress about the time my problems started). Am only child and her only caregiver. Mom lives in assisted living, but stays w/me when she's sick. My husband is a huge support, but his job keeps him pretty busy. Arthritis workup was negative. Had sciatica 3 yrs ago & had 3 epidural steriod injections . . which helped. I have TMJ (it's not really a problem though) and MVP (take inderal); fingertips stay slightly numb. Some days I feel like a sandbag that's been drained of all the sand. Other days I do pretty good.

Does this pain sound like FM? What are some good questions for Rheumy?

Thanks for reading this very loooong post. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

2. Nikki

Nikki Member

First of all, thanks to everyone who posts on this board. I've learned a great deal about FM. Maybe this is what I have . . . my Ortho thinks it's a possibility.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?!?

About 2.5 yrs ago my legs began aching @ nite. I could find relief by lying on my back & plac'g a pillow under my knees. Then in Apr I began having a mild case of shin splints . . . full-blown by June. Ortho said I had shin splints & tendonitis in my legs. Went to PT. They did ASTM (augmented soft tissue massage) . . . sounds good, huh? No way . . . they use acrylic instruments to scrape up and down your legs to break up scar tissue. Then new scar tissue is suppose to form which you in turn stretch w/exercise. My legs were black & blue from knees to ankles. At 1st it seemed to work & maybe it has done a little to help my situation. Was also given anti-inflammatory meds which did not help one iota. Then about a mo. ago I began having severe pain in both arms, shoulders, my knees, my hips and upper back. ASTM was stopped. I was put on Robaxin . . . no help at all. Then Flexeril which may be helping some (am suppose to take 3x day but only take 1x day @ bedtime . . it makes me a little spacey). Still have pain but not as severe. PT was restarted for shoulder,arm & hip pain. I have appt with Rhuematologist @ end of this mo.

A little background: I'm 57, and like all of you, I've been very active all my life. Worked until 4 yrs ago, then quit to take care of parents. In 3/2000, I lost my Dad suddenly (the same day my mother-in-law had leg amputed).
    M-in-L died 6 days later. Then only nephew was killed in auto accident a few mos. later. Step father got sick with lung cancer @ end of 2000 & died in 3/2001. My mom lost eyesight in 2/2001 plus she's bi-polar and has addn'l health problems. (in other words . . . lots of stress about the time my problems started). Am only child and her only caregiver. Mom lives in assisted living, but stays w/me when she's sick. My husband is a huge support, but his job keeps him pretty busy. Arthritis workup was negative. Had sciatica 3 yrs ago & had 3 epidural steriod injections . . which helped. I have TMJ (it's not really a problem though) and MVP (take inderal); fingertips stay slightly numb. Some days I feel like a sandbag that's been drained of all the sand. Other days I do pretty good.

Does this pain sound like FM? What are some good questions for Rheumy?

Thanks for reading this very loooong post. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

3. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

Great to have you aboard tho I'm sure you wish it were under different circumstances. Your struggles are hair-raising! I'm glad you will be seeing a rheumie; they are probably the best qualified to diagnose Fibro, with this one caveat: if they start talking about your ailment being "psychogenic", or even hint that Fibro is a psychological problem, leave in a blur! It also might be helpful to list your symptoms, when they occured, etc. and hand this to your doc( most of 'em appreciate this since they are buried under paperwork). God bless, Al
  4. Nikki

Nikki Member

No way is this pain all in my head (sometimes I wonder if anything's in there). I was the sole caregiver to "all" my parents; and while I'm respectful of the Drs. position and not rude, I'm also not intimidated. Most have been pretty decent . . . I packed up and left the ones who weren't. I never had the luxuary of time to waste and neither did my "parents" . . . I also have a stepmom I look after(she, like my stepfather, has no children).

A written list really does help. Sometimes the direction of the exam takes a different turn and you get off track and forget to mention important issues if you don't have a list.
  5. mary57

mary57 New Member

Hi, so much of what you said sounds so familiar. I so sorry you are having to have gone thru so much. I also have parents with health problems. 3yrs ago i lost one of my brothers to a heart attack. I was in such a depression and about that time i was diagonosed for sure with fibro. at this time my fibro is one day under control as good as it gets and then many days of horrible. in the past yr. my mom had a nervous breakdown and some strokes. my dad had triple bypass surgery. he is 80 she is 75. thanks to God they are doing as well as they can. for some months they lived at my other brothers house and hired help for them. I am learnig to stop feeling guilty because i can not take care of them. I was the only girl and the care giver to all until i got so sick. they are now in there own home with hired help. I have great husband and a great rhuemotologist. we are tryin differnt meds all the time. let me hear from you please. mary
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I am exhausted after reading all the stressful events you have been through, and on top of that not feeling well! Bless your Heart! Rheumy will need a full accounting of your symptoms, and will probably run some test to rule out anything else. I do hope he/she can get you back on track. You say you have good and bad days--don't overdo...on the good, just pace yourself. Hope we get good news from you soon, on your upcoming appointment with the rheumy. Best Wishes, Karen
  7. Nikki

Nikki Member

I feel blessed. Will post again after appt w/rheumy.

P.S. I've taken my mom to dr. so many x's this wk I've lost count. Gotta get her to feeling better by nx wed. She's been want'g to go on a "real" vacation for quite some time now to spend time w/grandsons (2 adult) and other friends & family members; so, my husband ( a real sweetie) and I have rented a beach house in Fla (we live in Baton Rouge, LA) so she and her best friend (80) could have a "real" vacation . . . friends & family, too. (Are we crazy, or what. Musta been hav'g a foggy brain eposide.) Anyway, could use some prayers . . . I totally believe in the power.

Later..........Nikki
  8. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I also take 10 mgs of Flexeril since 90 when dx with Fibromyalgia.

I found if I took 2 with dinner and 1 at nite time with my Ambien - my muscle spasms are less infrequent.

I'm still in the work force - working Mon - Thurs about 7 to 7 1/2 hours a day. Would never be able to function during the day if I took the flexeril.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Gentleness

9. Nikki

Nikki Member

Hi domesticgoddess,

I have a question . . . do you take a total of 20 mg of flexeril after dinner and then another 10 mg @ bedtime (total of 30mg/day)?

My Rx is for 10 mg 3x/day (total of 30mg/day). . . but I've only been taking a total of 10mg/day.

I'm having a lot of pain during the night and maybe if I at least take 10mg after dinner and then 10mg @ bedtime, it will help with the pain during the night. My Cuddle EWE underquilt makes me less stiff in a.m., but it doesn't seem to help a great deal w/night pain. But, that's not to say I don't LOVE it (so does my husband).

Thanks,
    Nikki