I am new to the board and looking for new friends.

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by bandwoman, Sep 3, 2006.

1. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

Hi everyone,

I am new to the worship board and have just found this website a couple weeks ago. I didn't realize that the fibro board and the worship board were connected but I am thrilled to find this. I read some of you out there are Joyce Meyers fans too. I love watching her on TV and I have several of her books. I hope to become friends with you all out there. I will usually be visiting here on the weekends as my teaching job really takes a lot of energy which I run low on most of the time. God bless all of you.

Love,
    Nancy
  2. windblade

windblade Active Member

Welcome to the Worship board! There are some people here who especially love Joyce Meyers.

I'm so glad that you found your way here!

This board runs very slowly compared to the others. So it takes awhile sometimes to receive an answer.

Looking forward to learning more about you. My husband is a teacher also - he teaches art in elementary.

Sending God's Blessings to you,
    Judy

3. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

Thanks for the welcome. Good to know about the speed of the board also. I am relishing the day off today. I have been back to school over two weeks now. It is so hard each year but God has sustained me these last many years. I teach at the elementary and junior high level. I am a band director. It is fun but very hard work for me trying to have energy left over at the end of the school day. I hope you enjoy the day with your husband too as I imagine he has off today also. Have a great rest of the long weekend. Hope to talk more.

Nancy
  4. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

So glad you have joined us here. You will find that sometimes not many people reply to posts, but many do read and pray. We have prayer night on Thursday nights and try to review the week.

I am a music teacher, I was a piano major. I no longer teach, sub, do church jobs, or even give piano. I consider myself totally retired.

My husband and I met in college, he was a trumpet major. He has been teaching since our graduation and tomorrow will return to 6,7,8 teaching band. Guess how many years? This begins year number 41........He still loves the kids and gets excited about young musicians coming up the ranks.

You will find me replying often, as I get separation anxiety if away from my computer. I have zero skills, but I can do email and am happy with that.

Over the past 6 to 7 years I found a group of women with FMS and we email. I call it my email family. It is wonderful.

Welcome, and I hope your problems are few and that you continue to be able to teach.
  5. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I think you are the first musician I have met with FM. I keep my condition to myself at my workplace so no one would know. They just know I have had lots of health issues. Wow, your husband has been teaching band for a long time. I thought I was doing it for a long time at 33 years. I am very glad to find this board. Thanks also for some tips about the board. I hope to hear from you again. Have a great day.

Nancy
  6. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Wow.... I have no clue how you manage. At least in these days if you mention FMS people have heard of it.

You can type things in the search bar. There have been discussions and replies from musicians and music teachers.

What state are you in? I live in NY state. Maybe school has already begun where you are located. Have a good year. What age group?

When I taught I preferred the high school kids. This is the first year I will NOT have a piano studio. I have been giving lessons 49 years, since 8th grade. Just so you don't have to scratch your head doing the math, I am 62.

Blessings.
  7. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I am from Illinois. I have also been teaching private clarinet lessons after school at my home since I was a senior in high school. 38 years now I think. I have tried to be very proactive with my health issues. I had several surgeries and that seemed to really take it out of me. I had my last very serious surgery in 2001. I was told I would be paralzyed in 3-6 mos if I didn't have this neck surgery. Well that was a shocker to say the least. After that surgery and all the others I really had a hard time with energy. I used to be a professional clarinet player also and I have had to give up playing. I can play when I teach but that is about it. I can still ride my bike and in fact I am getting ready to go out now. It has been rainy here all morning but I might be able to catch a quick ride. Thanks for the good tips on how to get around on this site. I am still new and haven't explored all the goodies yet. I bet you will miss your students but you have a had a long run. I love my private students. You can really get to know them on that one on one basis. Well you take care and we'll talk another time I hope.

Nancy
  8. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Hi Bandwoman,

Sorry it took me so long to see this post

A very warm welcome to you , so glad you found the board, we need all the prayers and help we can get

I love Joyce Meyer, she is an amazing person, we are so blessed to have her and be able to see her on Christian TV. She has been a blessing to so many, including myself

I am glad you are here and hope to hear more from you soon

God Bless
    hugs
    kgangel
  9. sixtyslady

sixtyslady Member

Welcome to the board, music is a big part of my life also ,I"m not a professional but I do play a couple of instruments.
    Music just soothes the soul.
    This board is a blessing to all.I know you will find many friends here. Sixtyslady.from Il. also
  10. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was looking at your little white furry cutie pie in your profile. I love animals. I have a cat who is 14 and is my big baby. I had a cervical fusion surgery in May of 2001 and I just got in a bad car accident a couple of months ago so it seems we have some things in common! I hope to get to know all of you better. I feel like I am getting to know some of you in the short time I have been on here. I am into another school year and boy has it been hard for me this year. The fatigue is just overwhelming. I just know that I have to build up my stamina every school year. As I get older it becomes harder and harder. I would appreciate your prayers in this regard. Well you take care and hope to talk with you more.

Love,
    Nancy
  11. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

Thanks for the welcome. So good to meet another Illinoisan ( is that what we are LOL) I love your little dog. I am an animal lover too. I have one big baby. She is my Himalayan cat of 14 years. She thinks she is a diva. If I ever figure out how to post a picture I will put a pic of her in my profile. I love music too. It soothes my soul even after hearing it all day at school. I could use some prayers for stamina. This has been a very tiring beginning of a school year for me. Being so fatigued so early is worrying me some. I hope to talk to you more and get to know all of you much better. I can tell you all are very warm and caring. God Bless you. Talk later.

Love,
    Nancy
  12. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I see you are from Central IL. I grew up in Decatur and my mom and sister live there now. I go to visit quit often. I looked at your profile before and I need to look at it again. I am getting ready to go off to a curriculum night at school so I need to go now. Hope we can talk more later. It is good to be on board. No pun intended. LOL

Love,
    Nancy
  13. kgangel

kgangel New Member

HI Bandwoman

You are in my prayers I hope all will go well with school for you. Are you a teacher?

I will pray for strength

God Bless

kgangel
  14. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

Yes, I am a band director at an elementary school and a junior high school. I have about 180 students this year. Yikes! I need lots of prayer. LOL Seriously I do. I have been praying for you quite a bit since reading about your son. I hope you are doing ok. Have a good week end. I am so glad I made it to Friday!

Love,
    Nancy
  15. 143alan

143alan New Member

I use to watch Joyce Meyers every morning before I got ready for work, then they moved her to another time and I haven't been able to keep track of when she's on at the time I can watch. I also work fulltime. I check out the boards more on the weekends too. I wish I could sit here long enough to read as much as I would like, but you know how that's not possible.

I wish my son would learn to play an instrument. He's 15 and has RA and RND. He LOVES music but not the kind most kids his age listen to. He loves all kinds of music but favors classical and listening to symphanies. His favorite composer is John Williams and a Japanese composer whose name I would totally slaughter if I tried to type it. He mixes his own music on the computer. He has a ear for it even though he's never seen sheet music or played a note of any instrument. Right now he's looking for an online source for him to hear one particular section of the "Marriage of Figaro". He's got it stuck in his head and wants to hear it again.

Anyway..welcome and take care.

Heavenly Father we praise you and thank you for Nancy and ask that you give her the stamina and strength as she needs it. We touch her with our hearts and pray in agreement that YOUR WILL be done in her life and that YOUR GLORY is shown through her day-by-day strength and healing. In Jesus' holy name we pray. Amen

Smiles and Hugs
    Nancy (Yep, my name too!!)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  16. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I think I would have missed your reply if I hadn't seen your reply to Anne about touching her brother. I looked you up as I had not seen your online name before. I got in a car accident in June. I was rearended and my car was totaled. Long story short, I ended up buying a car online from Illinois and the car came from Knoxville. I thought I would share that since you are from TN. I love the car by the way. Your story was amazing about being touched by your friend. Wow. How long ago was this? It is good to hear from someone else who works full time. I am single and I don't have much of a choice. My other full time job is taking care of my FM so I can function. Your son has alot to deal with too. I didn't know what the initials were. I knew RA but the other one I didn't know. What do they stand for. He sounds like he is really into his music. I wish I could help regarding The Marriage of Figaro other than getting the CD. I love that piece. I have played it many times. I used to be a professional clarinet player too. I stayed home from church today which I don't usually but I was just done in. I am sure you all can relate to that. Have a great day and I am so glad you wrote.

Love,
    Nancy
  17. 143alan

143alan New Member

Hi Nancy
    RND stands for Reflex Neurovascular Dystrophy. Basically the spinal cord sends an amplified pain signal to the brain. If you and I get a paper cut on our finger it stings, hurts and then it stops. His pain is equavalent to getting the entire finger cut off. Even though I work fulltime I also homeschool him since our school system here does not care about his limitations.

He's still looking for Marriage of Figaro and I'll probably try to buy the CD for him for Christmas. He says the best character on Star Wars movies is the one no one sees John Williams. Without the musical accompaniment the movie would be nothing.

My husband died when I was 4 months pregnant so I've been a single mom all this time. My son was born perfectly normal Apgar scores of 10 only 2 weeks early even though he had gone through such an ordeal when I was 7 months pregnant with him. I'm not sure if he developed what he has because of that event or not. He was a gift from God and has a special relationship with him. My son is now 15 years old so this happened a little over 15 years ago.

I hope you are doing well, and look forward to reading your posts.

Take Care
    Nancy

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  18. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I have never heard of your son's disease but it sounds awful. Is he in alot of pain all the time? You have certainly had your share of suffering too it sounds like. My Dad died just last summer so this past year we have been going through firsts if you know what I mean. The first Christmas without him, etc. My mom is having a hard time. She has been really sick this week for the first time without him. She has feared this so much and here she is living through it. My only other sibling, my sister lives in the same town as my mom so that gives me some comfort. I am three hours away from them and I live in the Chicago area with no family up here at all. It is just me and my cat of 14 years who is my big baby! I can't imagine losing your spouse and then having to raise your son all by yourself. That is too bad that the school district won't accomadate his needs. How in the world do you work full time and homeschool also. Wow. Well I just watched Joyce Meyers tonight. She is on here every Sunday night at 5:30. She is on also at other times but I don't know since I am never here during the day. Well you take care and it has been good talking with you. I sure wish I had some way to help your son and the Marriage of Figaro that he is looking for. I love John Williams music also. Your son is right. Many of these movies would not be the same without his music in the background. Have a good week.

The other Nancy
  19. 143alan

143alan New Member

I understand your loss, it's very hard. I'll keep your mother in my prayers also, I'm sure it's very hard on her. I'm so sorry you don't have any family where you are but I understand that as well. 7 years ago God moved me away from what little family I had left. It's a 13 hour drive to see the mother who raised me. I had two older brothers. My oldest brother was shot and killed by his best friend in 10/31/99, the next brother died from complications from diabetes & heart trouble on 11/13/05. Both were 45 years old when they passed. I am 45 years old now and it kinda gives me the creeps. I certainly believe that everything is by God's great design but it doesn't seem to make the pain of them not being here any less.

I can't remember the rules about sending our email addresses but I'll send it if you want it and we find out we can. I'd love to stay in touch with you.

I hope everything goes well with you this week at work and you have the stamina to not only make it through the day but get done what you want to do also.

Yes homeschooling and working fulltime makes for a long, long day but I live 3 minutes from my job, so I come home for lunch and I get off work at 4:30 so it doesn't take long to get home, get dinner and get to work. I make the lesson plan on Sunday and Alan works on the assignments while I'm at work also. He's mature beyond his years and gets a lot done without supervision. He makes it easy on me. I used to design and teach programs for at-risk kids and taught the high school diploma program in an Adult Education program for 12 years so I pull a lot from my old curriculum. Thank God for the vast amount of information available on the internet as well.

Take Care
    Love
    TN Nancy

20. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

My goodness you have had a lot to deal with in your life. I am so so sorry to hear about your brothers. What a terrible thing and so young. I am going to make this sort of short as my bedtime is 8:30. My alarm goes off at 4:00 AM and then I snooze until 4:20. No, I am not a morning person. I have to allow that much time to do all my stretching so I can function and the morning is my prayer and Bible study time with all the other stuff so it makes for a very short night when I get home late. I don't think they allow sharing of email addresses on this website which I really regret. I would love to share with you like that. I saw that in a post but I haven't seen it in writing and I just skimmed throught the new rules when I was on the fibro site a few mintues ago. Your son sounds like quite a great young man. That is great that your work is so close to your home. I have actually been living away from my family my whole adult life. When I have a little more time I will explain why I came to this website. If you look in my first thread posted on the fibro site it explains a little. I am going to need lots of prayer this year. I have a band at the end of the day and there is 80 plus kids in this band and they are really hard to keep focused at the end of the day. When I found out last year they were scheduled at the end of the day I knew it was going to not be the best case scenario. Right when my energy level is going down is when I need the energy the most. I know the Lord will get me through. He always does. You take care and I will write later.

Nancy