I am new to this board

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMcontpain, Sep 10, 2006.

1. FMcontpain

FMcontpain New Member

I am new to this board. I am so frustrated and depressed. I suffer from Fibromyalgia. I am sick of feeling sick. My mom tells me if I eat all natural foods, no additives, no sugar and take tons of expensive vitamins, I will feel so much better. First of all, when you feel so awful, so tired, it is very hard to muster enough energy to get your painful achy body up to be able to cook like you used to when you were well. You are just looking for something to tied over the hunger without such a fuss so you can get off your tired legs.

I just need somewhere I can be understood and not have to put on a face masking the way I really feel. Somewhere I can actually vent and not be told stop complaining.

I can't work like I used to, can't do housework anymore.
    FM affects your life in every way. I can't walk or stand or even sit. I feel best when I am in a reclined position in bed.

I feel I do not have any friends anymore.
    I have been reading the previous post and feel you all understand how I feel.

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

:) You're not alone!

Everyone thinks they know how to make you well. And, if you're like a lot of us, you may eventually try just about all of those things too. In the beginning of my illness, my grandma was always getting on me to eat red grapes and take brewers yeast and such. My other grandma suggested I had leukemia. I made a rule then and there that neither of them were allowed to discuss health issues with me!!!!!!! It was a huge load off.

Now that I know more (thanks to this board) and have been around the block a few times as far as doctors are concerned, I'm more prepared to defend my choices and disabilities. But it sucks to have to defend yourself when you feel this sick, so most of the time I just don't talk to people about it if they don't understand. I'm housebound, so I get my people contact by phoning people. It's difficult to speak, so I mostly listen. If they ask how I am, I say, "same as usual" in a positive tone of voice. Or I say, "I don't remember," and then laugh, because I have memory problems and I really can't remember! I should complain more, because they ALL complain about THEIR health stuff, but maybe I'll work into that later. There is a lot of misunderstanding about CFS, so sometimes it's easier not to talk about it. But here, everyone gets where you're comming from, so you can say everything.

It's up to you what kind of diet and treatments you want to do. I've done tonns of diet and suppliments. Now I'm losening up on that. Everyone seems to respond differently to everything, so treatment is a personal matter.

I can't cook anymore either. If you want something "healthy" that you don't have to cook... well, one thing that I like now is Amy's organic soups. My health food store carrys them. I also like ice cream. :) Raw fruits and veggies are about as convenient as food gets, and your mom might like to see you eating them. ;) Nuts are good too. They're easy and filling, and you can just keep a bag of them by the couch. If you think some foods might be bad for you but you don't know which ones, you can keep a journal about what you eat and what your symptoms are. That's how I know I shouldn't eat a lot of sugar. I still do sometimes though. It's no fun to stay away from everything you like all the time! :)

Will you fill out your bio? Sorry it took so long to get a reply to your post. The board moves very quickly here, so things can slide off the front page before people get a chance to reply. If you reply to your own post by writing "bump" it will go back to the front page.

Are you fairly young? I have CFS and I'm 24 and I live with my dad and I depend on him for everything.

I hope you like the message board here. I've been on for about a year now. The people here are really great and can help with almost anything. And here, it's never called complaining. It's called venting, and it's a good thing! :) Personally, I enjoy reading a good vent. You're just saying what we're all thinking. And we are here to help you with whatever you need and to listen. I look forward to seeing more of you here.

((keep comming)) Shannon
  3. encantare

encantare New Member

You've certainly come to the right place here. Hang in there, and you will find at least something to help your pain. There are so many good ideas here! My mother is much like yours and I finally got literature from my doctor to hand to her, telling her that her methods aren't necessarily anything that will help. He also outlined my illness and it's effects on my everyday life. Might be an idea? FYI, my mother is a nurse!

Glad you're here!
  4. petsrme

petsrme Member

Welcome FM. I think you will find a lot here who understand. We all hear simliar things about eating right, exercising, working, getting out of bed. People tend to do that when they aren't in our situation. If I had a dollar for everytime I have heard advice on what my problem is I would be rich. I hope you find much support here that help you realize you are not alone.
  5. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

This is the greatest board...im addicted to it! I cant stay off of it!

Im so sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I will send good thoughts your way.

I totally understand what you are saying about everything. I work a full time job as a receptionist, so when I get home, I basically collapse and thats it.

I somehow will cook an easy dinner. I grill meats on my Cuisinart Griddler, which has been a godsend. It makes it alot easier and it looks like it took awhile. Then I make an easy side dish. That is all I can find the energy to do...even if I can manage that. My boyfriend does most of the housework and laundry.

I get the same thing...Im labeled as 'lazy' all of the time. Alot of people think we are fine because we look Ok....we dont have missing limbs or deformities etc. so they assume there is nothing wrong. It doesnt help that Im only 25, so it makes the judgemental thing even worse.

Alot of people say I need to stop talking about these DDs...but how can I? It takes over my whole life...and I like to let things out. I also like to talk alot too LOL!!!
    I feel like I have no one to talk to that will listen or even care without getting aggrevated or mad. This is why I am on the boards all of the time, because everyone listens without judgement. We all have problems, and we want to vent about them. But no one in our lives want to listen most of the time.

I also have lost most of my friends. My boyfriend of 7 years is my best friend, and so are my parents. I am Ok with that though. My father suffered a major injury to his neck/spinal cord and is permanently disabled. His chronic pain is far worse than any pain I have ever heard. We talk to each other and listen to each other. He is all I have to talk to in my world.

I hope you find peace and wellness somehow. Take care of yourself...and dont listen to ignorant people.

Hugs,
    Stephanie
  6. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

You are not alone anymore. People here understand. I was so excited when I finally found people who understand. They understand our weird symptoms because they also live this way. What a relief!

I hope we hear more from you

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  7. FMcontpain

FMcontpain New Member

Wow, I feel I have come to the right place. Thanks!!

A little about me, I am 34, married, 4 kids. I work a flexible part time job. I have been suffering for about 13 years, but I have had the diagnosis for a year now. It was nice to hear a name and not "its all in your head." I participated in a research study for FMS. I can no longer go to the 1 Dr who really took time for me, because he went into private practice. I have no insurance due to losing my FT job. I push myself way too much, and then pay for it the next few days.

I make my kids laugh when they answer my question and then a minute later I am asking them the same question. They always say you already asked and I told you, but honestly I don't remember.

It is definitely a total new lifestyle that affects your whole family to get use to.

8. lakemead

lakemead New Member

I am a new member to this message board. I am 41 mother of a 7 month old. The pain started 4 months after i had the baby. Alot of stress they say can bring this on. I sometimes feel like no one knows how i feel also except for my mother who has the same exact symptons as I do . She has had the pain in her lower body for several years. I am going back to work tomarrow just two days a week to see if I can stand on my feet that long. The only thing that I have found that really helps is streching and small walks. Also the Dr. just put me on diazepam 5mg. at night and that seems to help. Wish we all could find an answer to this bizare illness.