I am, now, almost getting paranoid about driving...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Plantscaper, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

I have to be able to get groceries and run minor errands, but lately, I have had some very close calls in relation to other cars..I know my mind is just not good enough to be aware of everything going on around me..Driving has become a major task and sometimes I seem to barely get home..Driving was so easy for me, before this DD..but, now, it is causing so much stress I don't want to be out there anymore..but as an adult, you have to be able to get out there and do it..(had a accident, recently, and have dodged many others) and I am a very cautious, slow driver, at this point, although, this lack of brain functioning makes you just a lot more in the accident prone area. When I am really exhausted, it seems that my peripheral thinking/seeing darkens..I wish that I could just catch the bus, but I live way out in the mountains, and there is no public transportation..
  2. teawah

teawah New Member

Driving has been my life. Now I also am afraid to do it. I love to get behind the wheel. It seems like it is the only way I can be free but lately my mind is so gone that I don't think that I am capable of paying enough attention. Unfortunately, I must drive to help my hubby run his business. It really is scarey. I am hoping to get help from the doc I will be going to next week for this. Maybe there is something we can take?
    By the way, I am so jealous about you living out in the mountains! I used to live way out in the mountains but my health got so bad that I had to move to town. I compromised and moved to a really small town twenty miles from anywhere.
    teawah
  3. looneytunes24701

looneytunes24701 New Member

that is so amazing because i had a wreck 3 years ago when i was in a bad flare-up (before i knew i had fm/cfs). i have had 3 close calls with tractor trailers in the past 6 months with this flare. normally i am a very good driver. i thought i was going crazier than i am. it's good to know this is part of this DD. thanks. by the way, does anyone know a great doc in virginia for fm/cfs/depression? i need one desperately.

thanks,

looneytunes
  4. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

There is a good doctor list under the Doctor Referral on this board and others may be from your area...I think I have ADD or this disease causes attention deficits... Cylert worked for a while for me, but then, it stopped working..it helped me focus, then, but I decided to stop trying stimulant drugs, because Cheney said they were not good for this DD..but I have got to find something that will help me focus..You both ARE definitely not alone...AMELIA
    [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2003]
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Plantscraper, what I do when I have to drive, is time it when there is less traffic on the roads. I leave about 9;30am and make sure I get back home before 2;30 when the schools start letting out, that eliminates the teenagers, and the school buses on the road, and most people that are working on not on the road either.

Of course I live in a small community, but the closest store to me is 12 miles of highway driving from my home (there are no mountains in Louisiana, thank God! I am afraid of height! High bridges are a problem to me, which we have a whole lot of them here.

I stay off the innerstates completely. I take the low roads, longer, but safer.

I also take the direction that the 18 wheelers travel the least. I truly hate those trucks!

I had stopped driving for almost two years, except in emergencies. It was not the fog, it was my back going into spasms. I was afraid that if I had to cut the wheel hard, that I would get that pain and do something stupid. But my husband convinced me, along with Marilyn, that I would do what what necessary no matter what the pain was.

Unless you are taking medication that can cause you be less alert, and never drive when you are tired you should be alright.

I have the fog mostly under control with drinking water, and taking ZMA, Melatonin, and Xanax for sleep. I am sleeping deeply for 7-8 hours a night. I think that lack of sleep have a big impact on the fog too.

Good luck and do be careful.

Shalom, Shirl

6. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

I am sometimes paranoid about driving too. Especially since I backed out of a parking spot and backed right into a car. I was so embarassed. I am not sure if I looked before I backed up. Luckly, both of us had almost no damage. I drove home a nervous wreck that day. Did not drive for a couple of days. Now I am nervous every time I drive. Also, my numbness and tingling is more noticable while driving. I now rely on my daughter a lot to take me places. When she cannot, I will drive myself. I love to drive and now I don't care to since I have Fibromyalgia.
    HURTSALOT2
  7. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

That just happened to me, yesterday..we must be on the same wavelength..it was like, did I forget to look back there? I mean this is a simplistic thing that used to come automatically to me..and now, I have to put so much effort into each move I make on the road..I could not believe it..Shirl, I try to stay off of busy roads and at busy times, but I have to go 25 miles to get to the library, shopping, etc. and I get very exhausted/sensory overload before I get home, and that, is usually when the "crazy stuff" happens...I had an accident, with more damage earlier this year, when I never saw this car coming and it was almost about to hit in the middle of my car, when I finally did see it, I accelerated fast, and it hit the back of my car.. I would not venture out unless I have good sleep..cause who knows what would happen, then...AMELIA[This Message was Edited on 03/14/2003]
  8. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

One other thing I did just the other day was: I was driving and I had my daughter with me. When I asked her," Which turn can you make on red, left or right?" Needless to say my daughter informed me that I made an illegal turn. She also said to me, " Mom I think you may need to quit driving until you get totally well." I may take her advice because I would hate have an accident and hurt someone or myself.
    HURTSALOT2
  9. Dara

Dara New Member

I also am going through the same thing with the driving. I am 56 and have driven since I was 15. For the very first time I rolled into a car in front of me. I turned my head to look at something while stopped at a red light and I guess I took the pressure off of the brake pedal because I bumped a truck in front of me. I can't believe I did it. I know that I'm not as alert as I use to be either because I also have had some very close calls lately. I also try and not drive at night because it is very hard for me to make out the lines on the roads now, especially if it has been raining.

Dara
  10. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Everyone! Only found this web site and been dx'd with fibro about a month. Very foggy since last September with dizzy/vertigo stuff, but recently have felt very "vulnerable" when I drive. I get this weird feeling that I'm not "seeing" everything around me (other cars, pedestrians, etc.) and have felt on the "verge" of a panic attack (have never had one before). Thought it was all in my head, but I guess not. I moved to small town to be near daughter and grandkids. Also bought a truck because it's easier to get into (step to get up and handle to hold on to while I slide into drivers seat). The truck also makes it easier for me to see and not as painful to turn around and look. Always nice to read these messages and know I'm not alone.
  11. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi everyone,

The extent of my driving is taking my daughter 3 blocks to school and back again . Looking forward to the Spring so we can walk. I don't want to drive anymore because the people around here drive like maniacs and I'm afraid I won't be able to respond in time.
    I just got diagnosed recently but last Spring a tractor trailer pushed me into a divider on my way home from work and I think that may have made this really come out.

Lin
  12. bonwar

bonwar New Member

I cut my driving way back because of bad brain fog. It was like I was a drunk driver - I kept saying to myself "concentrate, concentrate..." as I was driving. It was stressful and scary. Since I started on Celexa and Trazodone I am very much improved in the brain department and can drive again - Yay! But I am not keen on driving long distances.

Are you on meds that might help or hinder you?

Wishing you good health,
    bonwar
  13. tsj62301

tsj62301 New Member

Im not quite 30 yet and am already paranoid of driving. Sometimes Im bad enough that after im home i completely have forgotten how i got there. I always back out and then remember i never looked behind me. I recently have noticed that my close calls with rear ending other cars has increased. What do you do when you have the rest of your life that you have to drive and kids you have to get places?? If you figure it out let me know.