I am pleased I plucked up the courage.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pat UK, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

I have at last overcome my pride at using a wheelchair. I have been housebound since July when I went sick from work, I got so fed up being indoors and too proud to use a wheelchair in case I should see someone I know. I have now been twice to a shopping mall near me and I am loving it. It has taken a long time to actually get me into one but I am pleased I plucked up the courage. Life is good at last.
    Pat
  2. Pat UK

Pat UK New Member

I have at last overcome my pride at using a wheelchair. I have been housebound since July when I went sick from work, I got so fed up being indoors and too proud to use a wheelchair in case I should see someone I know. I have now been twice to a shopping mall near me and I am loving it. It has taken a long time to actually get me into one but I am pleased I plucked up the courage. Life is good at last.
    Pat
  3. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Pat sounds like you have been enjoying yourself! Even though it was hard for you to accept the wheelchair, now you are able to move around and get out and be amongst people and that will help alot. Sometimes we hide and hide and it is hard to make ourselves get out again, but sounds to me like you are glad you did! Great job, hang in there, keep shopping!:) And if people you know cannot accept you in your wheelchair, then you don't need that person. You in a wheelchair is still you without a wheelchair. Sounds like it is others problems that can't deal with your chair, not you! You do what you have to do to be happy, don't worry about what others think. You are the one who has to live with you! I am happy for you!
  4. allhart

allhart New Member

its so grate that you are starting to regain control its amazing how somethings we fight end up helping, i may just try the wheel chair for the mail my kids have been trying to get me to go for monthes
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

Being single with CFS, FM, and NMH, among others I have a great bit of difficulty walking or even standing. Last month I got an electric scooter (the 3 wheeled kind) and it has given me so much freedom.

I can take my dog on walks without worrying that I may not make it back. I can go shopping anywhere I want, anytime I want, without having to ask a friend to come along to push. It is wonderful to have that independence again.

I encourage anyone who is considering getting some type of mobility device because you have difficulty walking to go ahead and do it. It's definitely worth it.

Barbara
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sweetie, I know it is hard for us to admit we need a little help, but it is a sign of growth and maturity and very healthy to accept that we just can't always do what we used to do without some help.

I felt the same way about using my handicap sticker, but now, if I'm tired or in pain, I'm glad I have it and I use it. My kids call it my "Gimp Pass." Making fun of my illness has brought us a lot of laughs and that is the best medicine. The ability to laugh at my FMS/CFS makes me feel powerful over it too.

Watch those wheelies and enjoy your newfound freedom.

Love, Mikie