I am putting my mom in Hospice today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Hello to my PH family- thank you all so much for your caring suppport, I know it will make the next few days a bit easier knowing you are here.

The Dr called last night and we decided not to put a feeding tube in and let her go to Hospice. She is in a lot of pain in her head, from the brain swelling.

There is no hope of her recovering from this because of all of her other conditions and the clot is very large, over 2 inches, plus this is what she wants.

So I am meeting the Dr this morning and move her today. The Hopspice house is a wonderful place and I can stay there and take the dogs. They have a dog that lives there.

I am amazingly calm and at peace as I prayed for God to do his will and give her peace, I talked to her and held her before I left yesterday and told her how I felt and I was glad we overcame our issues this year.

She is in gods hands and there is no better place to be. It is her time and I have accepted that. Thank all of you again for being here and may god be with you all. Love, Carla
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm so sorry about your Mum Carla. I'm glad you've reached the decision to put her in the hospice, they have such caring staff and the experience to help everyone concerned. Your Mum will receive the best of care.

I have to say you are coping admirably with this Carla. You are definitely resiliant!!

It's great that you can visit when you want and take your dogs there too.

Take care of yourself, Carla and God Bless you and your Mum.

Janet[This Message was Edited on 04/14/2008]
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

You are a beautiful daughter and person. You sound so at peace with the next few hours/days. I wish your mom a peaceful time.

4. tonakay

tonakay New Member

My prayers are with you.

5. Doober

Doober New Member

My father had passed away just over 2 weeks ago from cancer.

He was under Hospice care at home until then. The people at hospice are some of the greatest people you will meet.

Not only are they caring and worked to make my father comfortable. They are also a support group for the families.

This is never an easy thing. And they helped us to understand a lot of things. My wife's family actually does a walk yearly for hospice to help raise money. Hospice folks are all volunteers.

6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Hospice is so helpful. We used their services last year with my FIL.

I know this is hard for you and you have been in my thoughts and prayers.

Sending lots of love and hugs your way.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time....

8. sisland

sisland New Member

My heart goes out to you! I Know this has to be very difficult for you! But if you are a peace then i Believe That God has Taken over!,,,,,You are in my Thoughts and Prayers!,,,I pray that your Mom will be At Peace!,,,,Love ,,,,,,Sis
  9. mezombie

mezombie Member

Carla, you are showing your usual strength with this difficult situation.

You are doing the right thing. Hospice volunteers, as others have mentioned, are wonderful, caring people and will make sure your mother is as comfortable as possible. The setting is so much nicer than a hospital, and wow, you can even stay and bring Twy and Missy.

I am so glad to hear that you are feeling calm and peaceful. You know we are all with you in spirit.

I will continue to hold both you and your mother in my thoughts.

Big hug,
  10. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

You have my deepest sympathies on your mother's stroke and the difficult decisions you've had to make in the past few days. Hospice is a wonderful caring place and I'm happy they will let you bring the dogs with you as well. Words just cannot express how I feel for you. I lost my father to cancer 6 years ago and it is a long hard journey. You will be in my thoughts and prayers everyday.

I'm be praying for you and your mother during this difficult time.

Lots of gentle hugs and love.....Monica
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Dear Carla,

Thanks for the update although it was not good. However, you are handling it so well I am so proud of you for what you did and are doing for her. Not sure how far away you are from where your Mom lived but she was in NY, quite a ways from TX. I saw my mom about a week or so before she died but couldn't be there at the end. I just know what my body can take between my pain and my hi b/p. Stree like that or even less then that can cause my b/p sky rocket. Yes, I do feel somewhat guilty anyway.

Yes, glad you have made your peace with your mother before she died. My mother and I always got along well so that was nevera problem. Was glad that my brother was probably there and my SIL who live not to far away.

I guess we all do what we can. Sorry for my story but you are so strong and I admire you so much. Yes, if she was a great a person as you (which I am sure she is) she will be with God soon and in HIS care.

I continue to pray for her, you and your family.

[This Message was Edited on 04/14/2008]
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Oh I feel so much for your pain and courage both right now.

I think this sounds like the very best decision and we will all be praying for your Mother, yourself and the family.

God Bless.

Love Annie
    [This Message was Edited on 04/14/2008]
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Hospice was so helpful and kind during my dad's last month or so...

Bless you as you go through this parting time with your mom; may there be some sweet moments to remember and may God hold you and your mom now and forever.

14. victoria

victoria New Member

We were able to keep my MIL (severe dementia from multiple strokes w/no physical symptoms) at home because of Hospice home care, they were wonderful, especially at the end...

I also just had a friend who died from aggressive cancer, her last 3 months were spent at the Hospice House here; I agree, it's great you can bring your dog in, and the nurses were absolutely also wonderful. I remember while I was visiting, a couple brought their dog in, he was trained as a 'therapy dog'... most of those who were able to loved to give him a pat!

My thoughts are also with you thru this difficult time.
    Take care,

15. stick2013

stick2013 Member

I am sending prayers that she will have no more pain and this will be easy for all of you. I am so sorry that this has happened.

You are truly handling it well.
  16. caffey

caffey New Member

I am sorry for the situation you are in. Your mom is fortunate to have a daughter like you. When you can have some reconciliation it somehow makes it a little easier going through this. The people who operate hospices are truly unsung heroes. I never know what to say in these situations. Just know you are not alone and God and His angels are walking with you through this unfortunate time.
    Blessings on you and your family.
  17. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Sorry to hear about your mother, but I'm glad it's going in the direction that she is allowed to die peacefully and no have to continue suffering.

You are a strong woman, and it's a good thing you are there for her. Remember to pamper yourself. Make sure to make time for you also.

18. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Take care Carla, and know that you are making a loving decision. I am glad that God has given you a peace about the situation.
  19. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm just catching up to your situation, friend, and you know my heart is with you during this final thing you are doing for your mother.

I was with my mom during her last two weeks, and my best friend also; I would not have traded those days for anything.

Helping another cross over in peace is a blessing I'll never forget. You won't either.

Bless you, dear one...keep us informed, ok? We are with you as one...

With hugging comfort,
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Carla, I am so very sorry. Hospice is a wonderful organization for the patient and family too. God bless you all.

Love, Mikie