I am really suffering here

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hawkeye, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

OK my shoulder,arm clear down to the tips of my fingers has been killing me since last Tuesday but today it is so bad that I am going insane!

I can't get dressed, do my hair, basicly use it at all, I am typing with one finger on my other hand.

Has anyone ever had a corisone injection? I have had some people give me that suggestion and I need to have something done asap because I am really suffering badly, my pain meds are not even touching it, I just added 800 mg Ibuprofen and that isn't touching it either.

Maybe an injection in my shoulder?

Any ideas on what it could be and what can be done?

Thanks,
    Karen
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Karen, I had a cortisone injection in my shoulder over a year ago and it really worked well. The pain went away quite quickly and has not come back. I only needed the one, although sometimes you may need more than one.
    I think it's worth a try if you have someone who's good at it.

Kathy
  3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Is it something that the Dr can do right there in the office?

I think that my Dr does do them I just didn't know if they usually trust the physical exam or if it is something they put you through x-rays and tests before they will do it.

I want it done RIGHT NOW if now sooner! LOL

Thanks,
    Karen
  4. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I had one of these. It worked very well, but as you can expect it didn't last very long.

My Dr doesn't want to keep giving them to me because he knows that they won't always solve the problem, over time.

Dan
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Sounds like you have tendonitis. Maybe bursitis, but since it travels down the arm, my guess is tentonitis. I have CHRONIC tendonitis in both shoulders, BUT when it get ACUTE, I end up caving in and getting the cortisone injections.

For me, something as innocent as lifting the turkey to put in the shopping cart, brought it on last year. I ended up in the ER, and they took x-rays and said it was partially dislocated, and all I had done was LIFT THE TURKEY. They wouldn't believe that that could do that. Its TRUE.

So, yeah, I've had the cortisone injections a few times. Also, in hips for bursitis. Is not good for us, and causes descruction to the joint over time, but, sometimes, when I'm in tears, and have done the accupuncture, and enzyme therapy, and natural anti-inflammatories, and castor oil packs, and Far Infrared heat light, and pain medication, and ,,,,everything else in my arsenal, and I'm writhing in agony, damn it, I give in. And it has always helped. And this, coming from someone who always tries natural remedies first.
  6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

It hurts toward the front part of the shoulder and the very top the worst, it really doesn't hurt in the back...it is there and then all the way down my arm. I have to keep my arm close to my body and my elbow supported on something or I just can't tolerate the pain and I have a very high pain threshold.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me....it helps me so much to have your opinions and support. I don't know what I would do without this board.

I just called my boss because we are already short handed tomorrow but she has a lot of health problems too because I just can't imagine working tomorrow when I can't even lift a toothbrush to my mouth without having severe pain shoot through my body! LOL

Thanks,
    Karen
  7. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

I had that kind of pain down my right arm for 7 months, and my doctor thought it was just my Fibro and denied my request last April for a neck x-ray. Then it started down my left arm about 4 months ago, she still said it was just my Fibro.

I also have a condition of the skin called Hydradenitis Suppurativa for which a visit to a new Derm wanted me to go on Accutane. Finding out that the side effects of Accutane include bone swelling and skeletal and muscular pain I demanded the x-ray from my PCP before I would allow them to put me on this toxic medication.

She relented in October, had it done and found out I had disk problems at C-5-6. She sent me to a Pain Doctor after a long apology, who then gave me an MRI of my entire spine. I found out I have arthritis all the way down the length of my spine and C5-6 disk herniation with pinched nerves on the right and left side of my neck as well as a herniated disc in my lumbar waste level. Guess what, it wasn't just my Fibro and I put off going on Accutane and am seeking a 2nd opinion from another Dermatologist.

I had a cortizone shot just last Thursday and am still quite sore on my right side but a little less pain in my hand and arm and a little increase in the range of motion in my neck. I am scheduled for another for the left side on the 21st, and then another on the right for the 8th of January. Not sure yet if it will help since they let me go for so long.

Anyway, I do think that the shots are helping some, a week ago I couldn't have typed this reply or even clicked through to read all the replys my hand and arm hurt so much. So I do think that it will help for a while. The pain doctor told me though that it would only last about 6 months and then I would have to have the shots repeated, and sometimes they don't work at all-but that he did have one patient that had one series of 3 shots 2 1/2 years ago that still was pain free.

good luck
    Linda B
  8. elliespad

elliespad Member

I should have added above, and forgot. I did have accupuncture during that last severe tendonitis episode, day after the Cortisone injection.

My experience with accupuncture is it helps me for ACUTE pain, but NOT pain that is CHRONIC. And when I say it helps, I mean it reduces it somewhat, but does not get rid of it. So, if you are wanting to avoid the cortisone shot, accupuncture may give you some relief.
  9. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I was getting cortisone shots in my feet about every three months. When my doctor found out I might have FM he wouldn't let me have them anymore. Too bad for those three months all of my FM symptoms dissapeared. That's how I figured out everything going wrong with me was tied together somehow. Cortisone is not good for you on a long term basis. Too many complications. If you could get it and the pain doesn't come back it would be ok. If you need repeated injections novacaine works great. I get them once a month where ever my worst pains are. Usually in my lower back and hips. Sometimes my shoulders and upper back even my hands and sinus area. They kind of work like acupuncture also. I get them at my Rheumy.
    Good Luck
    Kayleen
  10. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

about your pain....I can't offer any help or suggestions, just wanted to say hi. I'm originally from eastern Iowa, so your handle gave you away. We also have boy twins- fraternal 11 yr. olds. Their personalities are as different as night and day.
    I have one that is the leader and one is the follower. Usually that works out until the follower gets fed up with taking orders! Take care....
  11. Tes the dr. can give you an injection in the office, they do help alot. Sounds like you may have a pinched nerve though? good luck.
  12. unney

unney New Member

It could be so many things. I'm will be undergoin my 3rd shoulder surgery in 2 days. I've had a total of 6 cortisone injections and 2 surgeries and have still not recovered. My second opinion doc is doing this next surgery. Known world-wide, so I hope it works.

The pain you're having is similar to mine. It could be the biceps tendon (which I'm having moved to a different spot). It could be a rotator cuff problem. It could be severe bursitis. Your doc will need an MRI to really know what's going on.

Physical therapy will be a good start to see if you can heal. If that doesn't work, or the MRI shows a bigger problem, then you'll probably need surgery. A lot of times PT works for people.

Did you injure your shoulder doing something? You didn't say. Or did you just "wake up" with a sore shoulder? That info will also help the doc diagnose your problem.

I'll say a prayer for your recovery. I know, all to well, how badly a shoulder can hurt. My poor hubby has been washing my hair and shaving my legs for 14 months! LOL He's a great man!

As for meds, I can't take strong drugs. Darvocet is about my limit, LOL Luckily it helps take the edge off of the pain (which is there constantly). It is distinctly different from my FM pain. NSAID's don't work for me. I guess because I've been on so many due to the joint pain.

Hope everything works out for you. Do you have an appt. with your orthopedic doc? Pick a good one. Get referrals from friends/family. Who performs the injections can make all the difference in the world as to whether or not they hurt. They will always be uncomfortable and the area will be sore. Unfortunately, I've heard of people who almost passed out from the pain?? Technique means a lot with these injections.

Let us know how everything turns out, okay?
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2006]

As someone else posted, make sure they check your neck because neck problems can show up as shoulder and arm pain.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2006]
  13. kriket

kriket New Member

Sounds like it could be bursitis. I have it in my shoulder. It comes and goes. Usually a shot into the area where it is inflamed will help. If it goes all the way down your arms though it could be something else as well.
    Ice alternated with heat helps also.

Kriket
  14. bozey

bozey New Member

To me it sounds like it might be tendonitis or bursitis. I have both and it does send pain down the arm. It might also be a pinched nerve.

I think they would want to take an xray to find the problem. That way they would know where to give you a cortisone shot. I've had them in my shoulder and they helped me.

If you go to a sports dr., they have xray machines right there and have the results really quick.

Another suggestion, put your arm in a sling if you have one. If it is a pinched nerve, it will take the pressure off your shoulder.

Also, use ice instead of heat.

I don't know if this has helped you any. You have some really good responses.

bozey
  15. simplyhurting

simplyhurting New Member

Were you checked for bursitis? It is extremely painful. Cortisone shots help greatly in improving condition

simplyhurting