I am remodeling my bathroom What was I thinking?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Oct 30, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Oh my gosh!!!! I am headed for a sure flare. I just started remodeling the bathroom today, and the chemicals are overwhelming, and the bathroom is just in a complete mess!!!!

Don't know what I have got myself into!!!!
    We have no running water cause we are putting in a new tub. The whole bathroom is completely stripped. I hope it will be worth it all when it is all finished!!!!!!!

Kriket
  2. Summit

Summit New Member

well, while your at it, make sure and put in one of those nice tubs with the jets in it (think your going to need some soaking time by the time your through) LOL In the meantime, try and pace yourself (get some help from relatives etc.) You often have to make a "mess" to make it better, but I'm sure you will like the results. A bathroom is a major living area that needs to be comfy and functional. Good luck, try to have fun with it!!
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

You were thinking about how wonderful it will be when it is all done, when you can sink into a nice, deep bubble-bath and enjoy the view of your beautiful, new bathroom. Keep thinking this!

Remodeling, especially when you're living in the house at the same time, is one of the worse things to have to live through in terms of stress. You have chemicals, dust, the disruption to daily life and rituals, and when it is a bathroom or kitchen, you're basically camping indoors.

IT WILL BE WORTH IT!

Take lots of pictures, and write down a short few sentences each night, so you can remember what you went through when it is all done. Try, try, TRY to keep a sense of humor.

I'll be thinking of you -- just last year at this time, we were starting a remodel/addition ourselves. We enclosed the carport, built a 2-car garage and front porch, and moved the driveway to the other side of the house. There was only ONE -- yes, just ONE 6' opening to punch through into our existing interior. We were digging drywall dust out between our teeth until a couple of months ago...and I still find fall-out in rarely-cleaned corners.

BUT IT WAS REALLY, REALLY worth it!!!!
  4. littlebrownwren

littlebrownwren New Member

If anybody remembers , I'm the one who had the redneck kitchen in the woods "ALL" last summer when we remodled my kitchen.

We moved my old double sink and cabinet to the far side of the driveway[out of the way] at the edge of the woods. We ran a hose from the house to the sink. I did my dishes there most of the summer. I learned water in a metal pan in the sun can leave a serious burn.

My fridge, microwave and coffee pot were in my den with a tiny cafe table. I didn't even have a stove. My new one couldn't go in until the rest was finished. MY old one sat on the front porch as "decoration" until we found someone who wanted it.

The gas grill did come in handy and we got well acquainted with all the fast food places. That got old really quick.

Kriket

Bathrooms are a pain to remodel. Don't hurt yourself.

You'll enjoy it come the holidays with your pretty new towels and deco.
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

There was quite a bit of black mold underneath the floor and walls too. Hope I don't get sick from that stuff.

Kriket
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope you don't have too many casualties.
  7. ckball

ckball New Member

Get some bleach for the mold, just pour it on full strentgh., wear gloves and it should be fine.

I have done 4 bathrooms, I have put a whirlpool in 3 of them. Just take it one day at a time and enlist all the help you can.

It's always worse before it get better. I've lived in my bank repro remodel for 3 years now. It;s worth if you do it right. Carla
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I did mine, and the dust generated was ridiculous. Get them to use a fan in the window so that it's blown out on the days they're doing that kind of work. If you have forced air heating, change the filters really often and then get the ducts cleaned afterwards. Buy a good-quality air purifier too, but take those other measures since you don't want to ruin it just with this. Also be sure to get out of the house when chemicals (even paint) are used. Maybe even get out for a night or two. Better safe than sorry.

I did our bathroom with a shower, but when we do the other bathroom it will largely be because I want a much deeper bathtub. The jets will be optional.

I well know that feeling. What _was_ I thinking? I think it turned out for us to be worth it, but the memory (a year later) still has me vaguely traumatized.
  9. larryh

larryh New Member

Glad to see I am not the only one. I am not doing the bath room, but just finished treaing out a dump truck load old of horse hair plaster and lathe from the upstairs because my wife wants a new master bedroom. Of course I work part of one day and rest for four or five so it will probably take all winter, but at least I have something to do during the cold weather.

I can really relate to having no water though. When we last remodeled our bathroom we were without water for 3 days. Now my wife wants a Jacuzzi tib so we may do it all over again. Yuck.

Larry
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

rockgor-
    Thanks for the suppoort!! Hope I don't have too many casualties either!!!!! LOL At least I have hope!!!

donnaeil-
    Thanks for the advice on safe chemacals although I think it's too late for that.

I am putting in a jacuzzi tub, so I think I will enjoy every minute of it once I'm finished.

Kriket
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/30/2006]
  11. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

I'm painting my living room. I'm painting over paneling so first I have to wash the walls, then prime, then paint.

We just can't let this dd control us! We pay for it in aches, pain, and fatigue, but it will be great when you're done. Good luck.
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

reading your thread and everyone's experiences with interest... we are just in the stages of thinking about doing some remodeling, since it doesn't look like our house is going to sell. Figure we'll just staya few more years until market gets better but in meantime do some things that need to be done.

Bathrooms are the other major thing besides flooring and kitchen - ours are 1970s vintage harvest gold/avocado. I keep waiting for the combination to come back and be cool again -- the 50s, 60s, and even some 70s styles have made a come-back... but no luck so far, so I'm finally giving up LOLOL.

Hope you take lots of pictures, and keep us all updated as to your progress. I do dread taking out old tile and tub, cuz I'm afraid of what's under there! But I too dream of soaking in a whirlpool tub!

all the best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  13. kriket

kriket New Member

Well today is day 3. No water or sewer. The pits!!!! Especially when you get a pain in the middle of the night! LOL I did go out today and buy a jacuzzi tub though!!! I was so excited to get one!!! We still have to put tile down and put new walls up and paint before it will be finished!!! Can't wait.

Kriket
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

Now Kriket you've got the prized tub right in front of you... I know for me that would give me lots of incentive!

So what kind did you get... a corner tub, a 2 person tub........???

Vic.

15. joyfully

joyfully New Member

If they come with a heater GET IT! I have a jacuzzi tub without a heater. When I run the jets, the air bubbles cool off the bath water waaay too quickly. Then I have to either replace the water or get out of the tub before I really wanted to because of the cool temperature of the water.
  16. kriket

kriket New Member

It is just a plain jacuzzi tub- it has 10 jets. I caught it when it was 10% off. Yea!!!! It is not very big.

Kriket
  17. kriket

kriket New Member

It has the option of a heater. I can always go and buy the heater later to put on it. It is pretty simple to install. I will probably get one sooner or later.

Kriket
  18. victoria

victoria New Member

Getting the temp right is hard to do even with my bathtub... I wouldn't have really even thought about the fact it'd be cooling as it went thru the jets!

best,
    Victoria