I am scottish/Irish

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by clerty, Apr 24, 2007.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

I know most people on this board are American can I ask a
    Question can you tell the difference between scottish English and Welsh, the reason I ask is when I was in New york so many people asked me where abouts in England I was from I have to admit this did annoy me as no offence to anyone English but everything revolved round this country

2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I like to think I can tell the difference in accents from your part of the world. I've had friends from Scotland, England, Wales, and Ireland, so that has helped. But mostly, I try to detect different accents through the media.

I.e. Scottish personalities Craig Ferguson, host of the late-night TV talk show, or Fiona Richie, who does a radio show of traditional Celtic music on American National Public Radio. They definitely have the Scottish brogue. The Scottish accent has to be one of my favorites in the world.

Michael Caine and Anthony Hopkins seem to have a bit of the Welsh accent still.

But who knows? I'll bet I'm still easily fooled as far as Celtic accents.

3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Sean Connery. Nuf said!

Stop and smell the puppies!
  4. Engel

Engel New Member

Craig Ferguson ... he is so cute. And Sean Connery is like a fine wine ;-) .
  5. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

I'm Canadian, and I can tell the difference. Then again, I am of British stock, have a Welsh "auntie" (friend of the family) and know alot of English, Scottish and Irish ex-pats that are here.

Am married to a Brit...his accent is often confused with Australian here, to his chagrin. He moved here at age 14 so his accent is a bizarre combo of Cockney, grammar school English and Canadian!

When I'm abroad, it's slightly annoying to be assumed as American, only because I'm such a patriotic Canadian. When in the UK, most seem to be able to distinguish the difference and correctly peg me as a Canuck.

Cheers from across the pond, nature
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I have a Scottish surname and have ancestors from Ireland, Wales and England.

Which country do you mean by "this country"?
  7. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

film on IFC the other night and it was made in Glasgow, very working class.

I have NEVER heard English spoken so "foreignly"!! I've watched other movies where they had to use English subtitles for heavy Cockney, but usually I could make out a good bit of the dialogue without reading subtitles.

This film also had subtitles, but even looking closely at their mouths as the characters talked I would NEVER have been able to decipher what they were saying without reading those subtitles.

Wish I could remember the title (about a young guy who hustles, and deals dope to get his very down-and-out mother a little place of her own).
    P.S. I LOVE Craig Ferguson! What a madcap loon!
  8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I think unless you are around these accents, it is hard to immediately discern the difference.

Even in America, there are different accents from one part of the country to the next. I would think that someone living in the US would be able to tell the difference between a midwestern accent and a N. Californian accent. I don't know if a foreigner would immediately pick up on that.

I believe a native from your area of the world would notice the variations sooner than someone visiting. You are used to hearing the differences in these accents and recognize the subtle (well, maybe the Scottish one isn't so subtle) differences.

In Europe, the countries are small. The people are used to hearing other foreign languages much more frequently than we hear them in the US. (Except for Spanish). You hear these different languages as a child when your brain is more adept at picking up a second language.

Unfortunately in the US, we wait too long before starting our students on a foreign language in school. (It is getting better, but still has a LONG way to go).

Our schools tend to attempt to teach foreign languages with an ineffective program of teaching vocabulary, grammar, and irregular verbs. Again it is getting better in that the US system is slowly turning to "conversational teaching" where the students predominately converse in the foreign language instead of the tedious conjugation of irregular verbs.

So I guess what I'm saying is that we know it is a foreign accent, and we know it is English---but we aren't very familiar with the different dialects because we don't come in contact with them very often. So it kinda' sounds like an accent of someone from England because we have heard that accent on certain TV programs. We know that it is from somewhere geographically in that area, but we are clueless exactly which neighboring country.

By the way, I'm half Irish and half German. So I'm fair complected and have lots of red highlights in my hair from my Irish ancestry, and am a stubborn German. What a combination!

[This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  9. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

and I've often said that....the two cancel each other out!
  10. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Yes my word I can tell the difference btween english and Irish/Scottish although have trouble with the irish and scottish sorry! I just love listening to both the Scottish and irish its gorgeous
    My first husband was from scottish/german/swedish stock and Iam of Dutch and live in Australia, I came here when i was 10, its what we call a Heinz 57 ( a mixture of all)
    in love n liight

11. clerty

clerty New Member

I just wondered I can understand about scots and Irish If you listen to the people form Inverness they have a lovely soft accent or form Barra they do sound like Irish
    I amm very proud of my Celtic roots and I suppose I get on my high horse about my country we just want to be recognised for out own traditions,in saying that I think some canadian people sound a bit Irish lol!!!