I am so confused ! HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tlc8858, Sep 16, 2003.

1. tlc8858

tlc8858 New Member

Thank you all for your replys about helping me to lower my cholesterol. The general consensus seems to be that instead of going on a low fat diet, I should be cutting out the sugars and carbs? Is that what I am to understand? I get so much information about all this stuff by searching the internet, but the more I read the more confused I get.
    HELP
    tlc8858
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, it is the carbs and "bad" fat which are bad for cholesterol. Natural fat in meat, fish, poultry, and dairy products are OK. Stay away from carbs and processed foods. The Atkins or Suzanne Somers diets are both good. I lost a lot of weight on the Somers diet and lowered my cholesterol from 191 to 168 and all my lipids improved.

It is insulin resistance which often elevates cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure. Insulin resistance is the precursor to Type II Diabetes. Everyone who is even slightly overweight has insulin resistance and even skinny people have it.

Read the intro in Suzanne Somers' new book, "Fast & Easy," and it will explain this. It is written by a doc. Another excellent book is "The Nutritional Guide For Syndrome X." Syndrome X is just another name for insulin resistance.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Not no-carb diets. You need some healthy carbs in order to balance things out and to keep your bowels regular.

Love, Mikie
  4. CreateHope

CreateHope New Member

After a two hour 5 blood draw test, I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance. My index number is 3.5. My glucose levels were not impaired. I was told by my doctor that anyone who is under a 4 is considered insulin resistant. Not in any of my research on Insulin Resistance, which has included books as well as the experts, have I heard that everyone who is slightly overweight and some skinny people are insulin resistant. I am curious to where you heard this or read it. If it's true, then it's news to me.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]