I am so foolish...I feel for a scam online

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Sat. night I was just trying to find out info. about hurricane Rita and went to the FoxNews website to get the latest news.Along side their webpage was an ad for free gas,$1000.I figured if it were on the FoxNews webpage it is something I can trust to be true.

Boy was I wrong.Like an idiot I spent 3 hours at the computer answering surverys,joining clubs,filling out applications and on and on.I was promised free gifts from Pizza Hut,Sam"s Club and many more well known companies.All the while thinking surely these companies would not be dishonest.

Well I never won anything.

I was in the worse kinda pain to from sitting there for 3 hours but it kept saying you are almost there,the lying scum.

So be leary of any ad that promises free gas no matter who's website it is on.I have emailed all the companies that I can find that was aprt of this scam.I will later be reporting them all.

I feel so stupid but we are in such a bad way where money is concerned and I trusted FoxNews.

Sheila
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Well-Known Member

I clicked onto that " $2,000 Lowe's reward card" and didn't even fill things out. Now I've been inundated for the last 2 months with everytype of business there is that gives a "reward card"! I'm telling you, they'e multiplying faster than rabbits on my computer. Even blocking them doesn't stop it.
  3. vp

vp New Member

I did it once too, you can probably expect to get lots of junk e-mail for awhile, too. I know I still am but I've got it marked as spam so just 1 click and it all goes in cyber trash.
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I never click on those things, except by accident. I don't even open up the spam email anymore, just delete it all.

But I have gotten "caught" in some sites that went on and on with questions and the end result was to find out some info about yourself, etc.

Also, some places will send you a free coupon (a valid site and valid coupon, etc.) if you give them your name and address, phone number, etc. At one time I was giving them an old cell phone number of mine that was canceled.
    I hate giving out that info. When they ask for the email addy, I always give out one of my Yahoo email addys.

Don't feel bad, okay, this has happened to us in one way or the other.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Not the same thing...but they've gotten me, too. Don't feel too bad.
  6. spmary

spmary New Member

I too, filled out surveys,etc for free every thing. then they told me to send money. why if its FREE? So I didn't finish the application, just deleted it and do so everytime I'm offered something free. Don't feel dumb. I and many others thought it was from reputable companies too.LOL, Mary
  7. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I have been busy getting all the emails connected to this scam.I have even been contacted by one of the legitmate buisnesses apart of this scam and they had never heard of this being don using there company.I emailed FoxNews about it being on their website and have responed to all these free ads explaining I am going to report them al and I will.
    I hate that I was suckerd into this.We really need that free gas like every one else.I am hoping FoxNews takes this seriously and does some invetigating into it.
    Fool me once shame on you,fool me twice shame on me.This will never happen to me again.I don't even fill out cards that you see posted along with this advertisment that you could win this car,trip or whatever cause I knew they would sell your info.But if it hadn't been on the FoxNews website I would never had clicked on it.
    I hate to see I am not alone in this,but like was said nothing is free.Boy,I learned tha they hard way and feel so stupid.
    Thanks for trying to help me feel better.I t does help to see I am not alone in this but it makes me very angry that this is so common.Wish me luck,I am gonna go after each and everyone of these scam artists and do my best to bring this to the attention of someone that will help stop it.
    {{{Hugs}}}
    Sheila
  8. jana15

jana15 New Member

Hi Sheila

How frustrating for you! I have bad brainfog today and am not sure 'Did they actually scam you of some money?' I know it is very hurtful when you get your hopes up - anything free for people who are trying to eek out a living on reduced incomes is a Godsend, but if you didn't actually loose any money then you were VERY lucky. I had a friend who lost a lot of money via an e-mail scam and it just didn't stop (even when she canceled the card) She finally got it worked out and the bank was very helpful but it was a scarey warning for those of us witnessing what she had to go through.

I remember when I was growing up 'Free' meant just that! a free show bag or a complementary this or that. Sadly, I don't think these type of advertising deals really exist nowadays.

Sadder still is the rise in the number of individuals prepared to swindle fellow human beings!

I think it's wonderful you are not just leaving it but going as far as notifying the businesses involved too. Good on you!

Cheers Jana
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]
  9. abbylee

abbylee New Member

These web people can be very clever and sucker us in when we think we're paying attention. It's their job and they are good at it.

That's one reason I love this site, because the admins/tech support/moderators keep a close eye on things and keep us out of trouble!!

Since most of us wouldn't harm a fly, there are people out there who would - and they don't care if we're healthy or sick!!

Foxnews like other businesses are just that - a business. Unless something illegal is going on, they are in the money making business and will accept ads for the money. It's sad, but true.

Anytime you're on the web and you see a "free" anything, just remember, it's all about the money - and it's probably not free.

What is the saying? If is sounds too good to be true - it probably is. Right now, areas of the country are having gas shortages. I doubt anyone will give away $1000 in gas without requiring $1000 of work - short of a local fundraiser or something like that.

abbylee