I am so frustrated

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diggity, Sep 30, 2002.

1. diggity

diggity New Member

I just came back from physical therapy. They did heat/electro therapy, ultrasound, and massage with a gel called Biofreeze. It felt wonderful; while it was being done. But now? Now I feel just as sore and in pain as I ever have. I asked the therapist if these treatments are intended to help "in the future" or if they are just "for the moment" relief. She said "as you and I both know, there is no cure for fibro, these treatments will make you feel better today, but most say they don't get next day relief from them). WHY AM I GOING THEN? What the heck good are the treatments if they only help while they are being done? Yes I know there is no cure for this, but I thought that with therapy that I would begin to feel a little better. If that isn't going to happen, then what good is it to go? I am so frustrated!!
  2. diggity

diggity New Member

I just came back from physical therapy. They did heat/electro therapy, ultrasound, and massage with a gel called Biofreeze. It felt wonderful; while it was being done. But now? Now I feel just as sore and in pain as I ever have. I asked the therapist if these treatments are intended to help "in the future" or if they are just "for the moment" relief. She said "as you and I both know, there is no cure for fibro, these treatments will make you feel better today, but most say they don't get next day relief from them). WHY AM I GOING THEN? What the heck good are the treatments if they only help while they are being done? Yes I know there is no cure for this, but I thought that with therapy that I would begin to feel a little better. If that isn't going to happen, then what good is it to go? I am so frustrated!!
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

i will know longer go to pt it made me worse the pt finally wrote a note to the dr saying it was of no bennifit to me
    tell the dr and the therpist what you just told us
  4. roro

roro New Member

Its supposed to make you feel better temporarily so that you can exercise and build yourself up? And then eventually, you will be stronger? It worked for me when i had knee pain. I couldnt walk up a flight of stairs, but after 2 months of PT, glucosamine and other supps, I was better and doing weight-lifting. Now I think at that time I had lyme disease, and not FM, but I would ask your dr about it.
  5. JP

JP New Member

I choose not to participate in PT or other types of physical modalities right now. I get worse too. It is pretty frustrating. I use to practice massage and was very big on alternatives for many years. I miss massage, PT, chiropractic,and accupuncture. Now, I am grateful for walks, or a swim, and I have a universal weight set at home that I use for muscle tone. These activities bother me too and I do them most of the time anyway.

Fourteen months ago I had an ankle joint repaired with a bone graft from my knee. It was a fairly complicated surgery with a long rehab. I learned to walk again in my pool and exceeded the doctor's expectations. The water thearpy was exceptional. The PT was only making me worse, so I managed my own rehab and consulted with my doctor. I wish I had more to offer you. Hang in there!

Jan
  6. fibolady

fibolady New Member

for most of us just making a commitment and getting to pt on a regular basis is a BIG DEAL. the therapy, ultrasound, massage will not make any difference in the long run. (even did it through my chiro for a few years too. believe me, i have done it off and on for 10 years.) finally, i just got sick of going and thought i could find something mentally that would stimulate my brain for a change and make me happier than that 30 minutes of "feel good"

the pt are notorious for pushing fmsers too far and causing major flare ups that can lasts for months. the majority just don't get it, i'm sure they had about one paragraph in school about fms. that is my experience anyway. but, not to be all negative, if you can get some good stretching exercises out of pt, that will definitely make a difference for you. then just do your own hot bath with epsom salts and you will feel better!
    you didn't have to drive anywhere, pay anything, or be stressed, pretty good.

my last pt teacher told me she exercised everyday because she didn't want to end up like me! no wonder i never went back, that is proof they had no idea what they were doing. and, this was in a big city at a well know pt center, kinda scary.

warm regards, fibolady
  7. marinemom

marinemom New Member

Anytime you have ANY kind of massage, when you get home you need to remember to drink at least TWO full glasses of water. I found this out the hard way!

The reason is because the massage works out the "bad" poisons from your muscles, and without drinking the water, it's defeating the purpose all together. By drinking two 8 oz. of water, you flush the poisons from your body that were removed from the muscle tissue.

Try this next time you have to go. When ever I can get a massage (which is NOT as often as I'd like) I have a bottle of water in the car waiting for me to drink on the way home, and I drink one after I get there.

PS: Make sure you have a free bathroom too! =)

((((((((((((to you))))))))
    Kathy
  8. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I went to PT a few years ago when I was in a flare. The therapist did the heat and ultrasound. The heat and ultrasound "broke" my flare and pain cycle. She also explained how my muscles are affected by FMS and gave me exercises to do at home. Maybe you need another therapist.