I am so tired from not sleeping

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by morous61, Oct 9, 2006.

1. morous61

morous61 New Member

For some time now, I have had a hard time sleeping. Every night its sleep an hour, up for 3 or 4 hours, sleep half hour, up for 2 hours....sleep very little and up most of the night. I have tried 3 different sleeping pills the doc has prescribed to no avail. I then start sleep-walking (or so my husband tells me) or I am tired 24/7!
    I have made sure I dont drink caffeine, eat anything heavy after 6 p.m., try relaxation before bed...nothing works!!!
    I am so tired all the time that the other day I drove myself to the dentist and on the way home fell asleep at the wheel, I woke up as the car went off the road on my side of the highway, jerked the wheel to get back on the road (which I wouldnt have done if I was fully aware) ended up going into the oncoming traffic lane(thank God nothing was coming!) and ended up back on my side in the ditch. I wasnt hurt and my car only ended up losing air in the two driver side tires.
    This isnt the first time I have fallen asleep at the wheel. I called my doctor and told him he needed to find something that will help me sleep. I could have killed myself or worse, killed someone else in the oncoming lane!
    He has ordered a sleep study to see why I'm not sleeping, but it isnt until Nov 6th before they can get me in. In the meantime, my husband wont let me drive alone, he was upset when he heard this wasnt the first time this has happened.
    My question is, does anyone else find themselves this tired all the time? I know with fibro. you are fatigued, no energy but is anyone else at the point that they are sotired all the time they fall asleep at the wheel?
    Looking for answers,
    Maureen
  2. teller7

teller7 New Member

Just before my big crash (me not the car) in 2003 I was home sick from work for 2 weeks with a virus. I tried to go back and my boss told me to go home I was still bad. I found myself driving on the wrong side of the road. Thank God there weren't any cars coming toward me. I don't drive very much at all since. About the trouble sleeping. I've always had trouble that way but since I got CFS and FM it's gotten 100% worse. Just like you I sleep a couple of hours here and a couple there. My sleeping habit I think the the thing that makes my hubby the most mad. He's always been an early riser and when I'm still in bed at 11AM trying to get a couple more hours of sleep I don't think he likes it one bit. And I've tried every sleeping pill there is and 5 hours later I'm still trying to get to sleep. I don't think there's anything out there to help us. Larry has started calling me Elvira becaue when he gets up at 2:30 to go to work I'm at the computer. It is so frustrating and depressing and I don't know what to do about it either. I'll be anxious to see how you make out with the sleep study. I've thought about having it done but I can just see them afterwards saying well there's nothing we can do. Good luck to you and just know there's a huge bunch of us out here with the same problem
    Carol
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

See if you can try bio identical hormones - you are probably in peri-menopause where the hormones are starting to get unbalanced.

I am using progresterone cream and Estogen Cream and have noticed a real improvememt.

I am still taking Ambien CR - if you are tired during the day ask for a drug called Provigil. It will help you be alert during day.
  4. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Have you had your thyroid checked lately? I also have
    fms/cfids, but suddenly I started losing a lot of weight in a very short time, started getting very shakey, and my
    eyes were slightly bulging. My heart was racing...I bad tachyacardia..120+ beats a minute.

So tired, I would fall asleep at work, or go to the nurses station and sleep for up to four hours and still be tired. I crashed my car into a tree and it almost killed me. I was dx'd with Graves disease, hyperthyroid disease.

It is an autoimmune disease, and you should be checked for
    it to be safe. It's a very simple blood test to have them
    do a TSH Thyroid Panel. This is very important. PLEASE DO IT!

I wasn't sleeping at night, either, because I was so wired
    up from all the thyroid hormone flushing through my body.
    Please have it checked SOON to be on the safe side.

~~~Lew
  5. LCasey

LCasey New Member

Hi, this is the first time I have checked out this site. I have had firbro since 98'. I am a therapist and this has been extremely difficult for me to deal with. I woke up one day and my whole world had been thrown up into the air and I was suppose to pick the pieces up and start putting myself back together. The problem was, I didn't know where to start. I have tried everything the doctors have offered to sleep through the night. I can take 2 Ambien and still stay up all night. A xanax, flexeril and ambien and still I can stay up all night. If I could take my brain out and lay it on the pillow and say have at it, and let my body sleep I would. I have fallen asleep at the wheel, which is why I don't drive on days that I'm fibro fogged. When I was is PT school, fibromyalgia was just "muscular pain." Medical terminology anyway. I have worked and treated 100 year old people that could move better than I can at times. It has been very hard to grasp, but not driving when your are feeling that lag of fatigue and fog is a safe bet.
  6. wld285

wld285 New Member

I have had a bad sleeping problem for years, have to just keep going on auto pilot. Am now going to
    FCC, and he started me on Flexaril, now 20 mg. This is not helping, so when I find the answer that works for me, will let everyone know.
    Hang in there.
  7. llama

llama New Member

Hi Morous,

I too have severe insomnia, thankfully have not had the near tragedy that you did. I have nearly stopped driving because of the fatigue and the general feeling that I know my reflexes and alertness are dull.

I've tried all the "new" pills that you see on TV. I feel like I could take a handful of them and still not sleep.
    Or if I did it would only be for a few hours and then wide awake but feeling like he!!.

The sleep disorder doctor that I go to is just about ready to prescibe Xyrem (the infamous date-rape drug). (I have had 2 sleep studies that have shown several disorders). I've heard good and bad about this drug. But some nights when I'm nearly crying because I'm so exhausted and can't sleep, I think I'd just about be willing to try anything!!

Good Luck to you....I'll keep a good thought for you.
    ...............Jill.............
  8. Daisys

Daisys Member

Jill,
    If you're offered xyrem, I encourage you to go for it! I was miserable for so many years, and now, on xyrem, I have sweet sleep and am alert and active all day.

You can do a search on this site and read about personal experiences with it; or ask questions, others are on it who post here. Another place that has a lot of info on it is the narcolepsy board at the Talk About Sleep site. They have lots of experience with it there.
  9. llama

llama New Member

Hi Daisys and all,

I don't know if it just happens to be the couple of docs I've seen or just the general opinion in this part of the country (Cincinnati area, known to be conservative) but they all seem a little hesitant about this drug.

I've been told repeatedly, how carefully it's monitored and that you should have someone to check on you at night to make sure that you're not too heavily sedated. I think these Dr.'s are hoping that I'll respond to something else first and just avoid making the decision.

Actually, I've read where several people have stated that it changed their life. Sounds wonderful and long overdue
    for me..........Thanks so much........Jill..........