I am soooo irritable, I can't stand myself

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by nyssagirl, Oct 30, 2006.

1. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

Every little thing irritates me and I feel like screaming. Does anyone else feel like that when taking treatment? I feel so picked on and confused it is horrible. My sig. other doesn't understand, and neither do I. However, he tends to be on the grouchy side most of the time, and I am having problems dealing with that, since I am grouchy too. I am usually a kind sweet person, (honestly) but I don't care for the new me. Hope it doesn't last a long time. I am into treatment about two and one half weeks and will be taking the antibiotics for three months.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Grumpy Nyssagirl
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I just want everyone to leave me alone in my misery! I was taking Lexapro to help with the negative feelings, but developed a reaction to it and had to stop. Now I'm back to my old, grouch self.

DH has gone to hunting camp for a few weeks and I have the house (and TV) to myself. Ah, blessed relief!
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

what his doctors have done is to either change or pulse his abx (ie, give him some time off, like taking every other week or only M-W-F each week).

This has helped immensely to lessen the herxes... and irritability.

all the best,
    Victoria
  4. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I got sooooo irritable, and I heard myself saying things outloud that I would never ordinarily say...and not very nice! Grouchy is putting it mildly, more like the "b" word!

I could no longer stand myself and felt terrible for my family, and called my Dr. She said it was due to toxins from the treatment, and that I should detox and pulse my medications.

I had been on azithromycin continuously I believe for about 2 months. So she had me pulse: 2 weeks on, 1 week off. This has helped a lot.

Another thing that has helped is Burbur. Also, detox baths and drinking lots of water.

It used to be thought that being extremely miserable during treatment was a sign that it was working. Now, more doctors are recommending that we be a little easier on ourselves, if possible, and allow our bodies to detoxify at a slower pace.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Hopeful4
  5. Mom2onlk

Mom2onlk New Member

Hi, sorry u r feeling so lousy, I was diagnosed in June, however I saw the rash last year & was misdiagnosed. I was on ABT for 1 month of Doxy 100mg Twice a day. I was seen out in Phil.By the chief of staff at Penn Hosp, He says this is stage 11 & then I went to a Ruhmatologist for pain control which didnt do much good. After that I went to pain management & was put on a narcotic for 2 weeks, when i asked the Dr to take me off it I went thru a withdrawl that was horrible-never again! So is it any wonder we get grouchy? Im trying Zoloft now & hope it helps me in a few weeks time. I was told it can take a long time for all the toxins to get out of your bloodstream, has anyone else heard this? TY
  6. kellyann

kellyann New Member

I get quite grouchy and I don't mean too. I just feel so bad and hurt for so long it just is hard not to. I tend to get irratated when I really shouldn't. It isn't fair to my family. It isn't their fault I am sick. It isn't very big of me either.
    Kellyann
  7. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I am hurting so bad I can hardly stand it. I can't get comfortable. I can't stand much more of this. I am not quite as irritable as I was for a while. So, it is the toxins going out of my system that is doing this..It is so much worse than my regular aching and hurting. I am on Prozac, that helps a lot. Aleve helps some, but I am afraid of what it will do to my stomach. I have precription pain killers but I don't want to sleep all the time..however, I don't have much choice right now. I just do what I have to do to get by. The hot tub and heating pad are my saving grace.
    I think it is time to call my Doctor and ask if there is anything I can do to help, maybe he will have me let up on the antibioticsI don't know what I would do without all of you, thank you so much, you are such a big help!!!!
    Good luck to you, too!!
    Hang in there,
    Nyssagirl
  8. Chootik

Chootik New Member

I'm so pissed off most of the the time and I don't even know why? But then again, being sick for 3 years and not knowing what exactly is wrong and tyring a million things to get better, I guess won't make anyone cheery!

I think we just have to take it easy, do a lot of nice relaxing things for oursleves, like messages and facials and even alone time can help.

I honestly can't wait for the day that all this will be gone and we can go back to our old selves and being happy and healthy!

I guess till then we just do our best.
    Chootik
  9. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I called my Dr. and told him what was going on, I was having hot flashes that wouldn't quit...and hurting beyond belief. He cut me back on my Zithromax, to half. He left the other antibiotic alone. I still take two a day of that one. The Zithromax was what was causing most of the problem, I guess, as I am feeling better.
    I wake up so darned early. I feel really lucky to sleep in until 5:00 A.M. This morning I woke up at 3:00 and tossed and turned as usual, I got up and took a half of a Benedryl and went back to sleep and slept until 6:30. I was a happy about that!
    Sleeping is a big big problem!!! I may have to get my Trazadone doseage upped from 50 mg. to 100 mg.
    I know what you mean about being alone in your misery. I am alone most of the time, and I think it is a good thing. I am so used to being by myself I don't know if I could have someone around all the time.
    Hugs to all of you and hang in there!!!
    Nssagirl
  10. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I called my Dr. and told him what was going on, I was having hot flashes that wouldn't quit...and hurting beyond belief. He cut me back on my Zithromax, to half. He left the other antibiotic alone. I still take two a day of that one. The Zithromax was what was causing most of the problem, I guess, as I am feeling better.
    I wake up so darned early. I feel really lucky to sleep in until 5:00 A.M. This morning I woke up at 3:00 and tossed and turned as usual, I got up and took a half of a Benedryl and went back to sleep and slept until 6:30. I was a happy about that!
    Sleeping is a big big problem!!! I may have to get my Trazadone doseage upped from 50 mg. to 100 mg.
    I know what you mean about being alone in your misery. I am alone most of the time, and I think it is a good thing. I am so used to being by myself I don't know if I could have someone around all the time.
    Hugs to all of you and hang in there!!!
    Nssagirl
  11. bsyounges

bsyounges New Member

don't remember on what lyme page i read it on but there is a lyme symptom called lyme rage. i experienced it first hand this week. the dr. said it is herxing from my neuro lyme. i was off of zithromax for a week and the day i went back on i was agressively mad about the littlest thing. this is completely not like me and way beyond being frustrated and tired of this damn disease. by the end of the day i had taken a swing at my husband when he kept picking on the fact that emmitt smith won dancing with stars not mario. how stupid was that! it was like i was watching a movie and couldn't stop it. i was up all night sitting on the couch shaking.
    the dr prescribed an herbal calming formula. i haven't had the same reaction the last 2 zithromax doses. sure hope it doesn't happen again. scared the begeezus out of me.
  12. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I csn completely relate!!!! You gave me a good laugh!!!!!!! Taking a swing at your husband, over Emmitt Smith!!! I got better for a while, now I am back at it again. Everybody ticks me off, I don't like anybody. I pretty much just stay to myself, I am not my nice sweet self anymore. I am beyond irritable. That Zithrmomax must be what is doing it to me too. I am getting more disorganized, I can't find anything, can't remember anything, it is so terrible, I could scream!!! I am frustrated to the MAX!!!! I am so thankful I don't have to cook a Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, I don't think I have sense enough to put a meal on the table. It is pitiful. I hope it is Lyme and not oldtimers, like it feels like it is.
    I didn't know you could take something herbel when taking a presciption, I really need something to calm me down.
    Hope you have a good turkey day, my daughter and grandson and I are going out to eat. Sounds like a winner to me, there will be no confusion involved...no shopping, no dishes....
    I will pray for you if you will pray for me, sounds like we need all the help we can get!!!
    It is nice to talk to someone who can relate!
    Thanks for writing!
    Hugs,
    Nyssagirl
  13. klutzo

klutzo New Member

This problem may not be due to treatment. It may be the Lyme affecting the brain, Ie. Lyme rage, as someone else pointed out.

It was because of Lyme rage that I was finally correctly diagnosed, after 21 yrs. of illness and two misdiagnoses. It was totally out of character for me to behave that way.

Also, I am allergic to all the antibiotics that kill Lyme, so I have had only herbal treatment, which has not helped much. I have become a semi-hermit in order to avoid "going off" at people who make me angry, and also to protect my heart, which is damaged by Lyme and goes nuts when I have a Lyme rage.

Therefore, while pain can certainly make us all irritable, it is possible to have this symptom from the disease itself, even without herxing.

Klutzo
  14. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I haven't tried any herbel remedies. The antibiotics have really gotten to me lately. I got so sick about a week ago and went off of them temporarily. I hate to even think of trying them again. My acid reflux was horrible and my stomach was too. Everything else was worse, too. I just couldn't tolerate anymore. I am feeling much better now. I tried to call my Dr and tell him how sick I was, but, couldn't reach him, left a message and they never called back, so I just took it upon myself to take care of it. I have a phone consultation with him tomorrow, I am afraid he will tell me to get back on them....I don't know what to do at this point. There isn't a lyme doctor in this area, but have found out there is a Dr. close that treats lyme herbally.
    Good luck to you!!! Hang in there!!!
    Nyssagirl
  15. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Nyssagirl,
    You might want to take a break from ABX, dose yourself with plenty of probiotics to replenish your good gut bacteria, and give an herbal protocol a try. Just because it isn't helping me does not mean it does not usually help. There are two that seem to help a lot of people.

One is the Buhner Protocol, from his book "Healing Lyme". I have to stop it because one of the main herbs on it can raise blood pressure, and I am one of those rare Lymies with high blood pressure. Many people at LymeNet say it is helping them immensely.

Another is the Cowden Protocol, which is what I am using. However, I have so much trouble excreting toxins that I've never been able to get close to the active dose of the main herb on it, Samento, which may be why I've failed to make all but minor progress.

The Cowden Protocol actualy has research behind it, which you can find at www.samento.com.ec. This is a research library web site for treatment of illnesses that can be helped by Samento. Look in the Lyme Borreliosis library section for the articles by William Lee Cowden, M.D. His articles have the protocol in them, so you can print it out and use it.

I hope you feel better soon,
    Klutzo
  16. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

Waht about anxiety? I have such strong anxiety sometimes.
    All the different emotions, anger, anxiety, depression is enough to make me want to shut myself up away from teh world. Lately I have been doing that.

Now it all makes sense and I don't feel so abnormal. I tell myself that the feelings will pass and they being caused by the lyme, at times that does actually seem to help.
  17. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

Kimelia,anxiety and depression have been with me for so long. I am thankful for right now that I am not having to deal with that. I have made trips to the ER with anxiety attacks and it is scarey as can be. Not only that, but they treat you like you are nuts along with it. I am so sick of being treated like a hypocondriac. I don't hardly ever go to the Doctor anymore because of it. I was so sick in '04 that I thought I would die and didn't care if I did, at that point. The anxiety was so bad, I dreaded to wake up in the morning, because that was when it was the worst. A doctor put me on Atenalol, which is a beta blocker, it helps high blood pressure and anxiety. It was a God send. I don't know if you have high blood pressure, or not...I have a friend of mine who has fibro, at least that is what they say, was put on it also and she hasn't had a panic attack since she went on it.
    Prozac is the only anti depressant that works for me. I had a time when it quit working so I went off of it for a while and tried all these other ones, with no help. I went back on it after a time and it works again. It helps me so much with depression and anxiety. I just hope it continues to work. I am miserable without it. Are you on an antidepressant? I also have Atavan (spelling?) for anxiety, in case I need it. I rarely ever use it now. But it is nice to know that if I have to have it, I can take one.
    The pain and all the rest is enough to deal with, without being so depressed and anxious. I am sorry you are dealing with that. I surely hope that they will help you find something that works for that. Please hang in there, there are things that work, it is just finding the right one that is hard.
    Hugs to you and God bless!!!!
    Nyssagirl
  18. kriket

kriket New Member

I have not been dx with Lymedisease, but have fibro. and depression and I get just like all of you have described. I am wondering if I need to be tested for Lyme. I am always so tired and I hurt so bad. I was dx with fibro. about 4 yrs. ago, but think I may have this also.

Kriket
  19. lagf

lagf New Member

I feel for all of you. I want to share some info we have paid big bucks for....perhaps will help.

My daughter is on Cowden protocol. She has thyroid issues so to detox is difficult. She has episodes of lyme rage, and sleep issues.

Ask your doctor if you can up the Trazadone. She can go to 150. It can make wake up hard but she can sleep. Also try Klonidine. Need doctor for both these issues.

You must detox while on antibiotics or herbal. She has been on detox for EIGHT MONTHS and still not finished. This is non stop detox for the most part.
    If you are using the Cowden protocol see if your doctor can refer you to lazer detox treatments. These are very good but it also takes time. But if your body is not co-operative otherwise it helps. Also...find someone with an infrared sauna....begin slow...it will help detox.
    I really want you to confer with doctor on these issues, but they will help some of you deal with the pain.
  20. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

Hi Kriket,
    I think it would be worth your time to be tested. It sure can't hurt anything and might be a big help!!!
    Good luck,
    Nyssagirl