I am soooo mad!!! I don't whether to scream or cry!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Aug 27, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I thought that I had found a good doctor (my old doctor relocated). But low and behold I should have listened to my intuition to start with. To start with my Primary dr. is the one that relocated and the new one is only in town 1 day a week and is a real jerk! 3 weeks ago I get a certified letter from my old neurologist saying that he can no longer see me any longer because I owe him 100.00, not that he ever did anything for me in the first place.
    So I start seeing this other neurologist who says that he can also help me with my other meds. First of all he takes me off half my old medication tells me that I don't need it. Second appointment I told him I have run out of my muscle relaxer and pain meds. He gives me a rx for 20 pain meds half the dose of what I have been taking and told me he didn't want to give me any muscle relaxers.
    My cubital tunnel has really been acting up so he told me it was fine to take 2 pain pills at a time. So I ran out today. Called him and he says that he is not going to give me anymore until my next appt. 6 weeks from now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is that any way for someone to be treated????????????? What am I supposed to do now????????????

2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

I thought that I had found a good doctor (my old doctor relocated). But low and behold I should have listened to my intuition to start with. To start with my Primary dr. is the one that relocated and the new one is only in town 1 day a week and is a real jerk! 3 weeks ago I get a certified letter from my old neurologist saying that he can no longer see me any longer because I owe him 100.00, not that he ever did anything for me in the first place.
    So I start seeing this other neurologist who says that he can also help me with my other meds. First of all he takes me off half my old medication tells me that I don't need it. Second appointment I told him I have run out of my muscle relaxer and pain meds. He gives me a rx for 20 pain meds half the dose of what I have been taking and told me he didn't want to give me any muscle relaxers.
    My cubital tunnel has really been acting up so he told me it was fine to take 2 pain pills at a time. So I ran out today. Called him and he says that he is not going to give me anymore until my next appt. 6 weeks from now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is that any way for someone to be treated????????????? What am I supposed to do now????????????

3. RonaEileen

RonaEileen New Member

That is AWFUL. Doctors don't get it. I'm sure he suspects you have been on pain relievers too long and he was gonna play tough guy and get you off of them, you addict you! Stupid ass.

Go find yourself another doctor.

Look, I don't blame you for being upset but the health care system is so screwed up. On my unit, there was a lady who overdosed on Valium. It seems that 3 different doctors were prescribing it to her. I'm sure if one doctor that cared was in the bunch, he/she could have figured out what was going on...but noooo....the drs don't get it. All they need to do is spend a little time with a patient and then they can weed out the addicts from the hurting!!!

Sheesh. You got me on a rant, too!!!!!!

Rona
  4. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Go to www.widowmaker.com for information that may help your doc understand your condition and the treatment for it includes pain relief.

My former rheumi had this posted in his office. It stated that fibro patients were entitled to the same relief of pain (as it progressed) as hospice patients.

You need to find a physician who routinely takes FMS et al. patients and tell him/her of your dilemna. There are two sides of the story and the expense of a medical practice is also a reality. One I don't like as I have been a victim, having to go 14 long months without doc or meds; so

now that I have a good physician, I take him abstracts of new meds and off-labeling; I take him everything he needs to be in compliance with the laws within which he must operate. I thank my higher power each and every day for a physician who understands and is fearless to prescribe in this dry, dusty, south texas town the medication to help my life be a little more controllable as to pain et al. Lil'
  5. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

God Bless you!

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  6. PMangels

PMangels New Member

What is it with these doctors? This is unethical treatment. He should be reported to the medical board. There is no reason for this kind of care and he should not be allowed to get away with it. I did'nt like the care I got so I drive two hours to my rheumy. She is great. Never tells me I can't have any meds. Are you to far away from another town to seek help? And how does he know you don't need your medication? He doesn't live in your body. He can't feel for you. It's impossible. I hope you can look elsewhere for a doctor that will help you. I know this is very frustrating for you. I've been there. I swear some of them are brain dead. How did they get to be doctors. My view of a doctor is they should above all be compassionate. Doctors take an oath to preserve the quality of life. It's about time they start living up to it. I hope things work out for you. Keep us updated.

(((HUGS)))
    Arlene
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Find another doctor, one that is familiar with your illness and that has some compassion for your pain.

I have gave up on the medical profession a long time ago.

I just see one that will prescribe Xanax, and treat myself for whatever else I need.

But I can't take the pain pills anyway, so it does not matter.

You look at the good doctor list here; http://www.co-cure.org/Good-Doc.htm

If this does not help, then list your state and hopefully someone here can share their experience with doctors in your area. With this illness, word of mouth seems to be where everyone finds the right doctor.

HOpe you make it till you can get to see someone with some compassion.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I finally found 2 Doctors who work with me, not against me.
    Lil gave you a good website, I just want to add 2 more for you, I think they are linked off of her's also.

http://www.asappain.com/Scheme.html

http://www.asappain.com/fedGuidelines.html

http://www.asappain.com/2TheDoc.html

http://www.actiononpain.org

http://www.widowmaker.com/~skipb/Scheme.html

Hope thoes work and help, ;o)
    Sincerely,
    kredca4
  9. jackiec

jackiec New Member

Oh dear, I can feel your pain and frustration over this situation! Seems to me most of us have two major fights on our hands which cause much aggravation and acceleration of our symptoms----finding a GOOD doctor, and then fighting for our disability right!!

Sending you gentle hugs and much hope that you are able to get proper treament and medication you so desperately need.

J.C.
  10. G

G New Member

after I moved back to the area where I now lived. Luckily I had extra meds that my other doctor gave me, just in case, to help me ween myself off them. My new doctor refused me the only pain med I could take and told me to stop taking them "cold turkey". I was weening myself off them and it was one of the worse times of my life. I had the shakes, intense pain and nausea for about an month or so. When I finally got feeling a little bit better I started doing some extra alternative ways to help me cope with my pain.

I sure hope you don't go through that for it's not pleasant at all. I couldn't give up on my new doctor back then for in our province the doctor's were doing walk outs on certain days in protest to get higher pay, and to heck with new patients that had moved into the area. I had to beg for this doctor to even take me. He took me and after an month or so we began to talk so much more and came to like each other very much. Now he's retired his practice and I miss him so much. I had realized that the pain med I was taking was also harming my health but at the time I was furious too and now I thank him for making me do it. Sometimes there is an silver lining that we are unaware of and decisions are done for our own good.

There are times I also believe that our pain should be treated until my father died, in which the family was told that all the meds he was on over an long time harmed him and it lead to weakening his heart. Now, my father took far more pain and sleeping meds than he was suppose to and abused them. His doctor knew this but didn't try to help him but continued to supply him more and stronger. So I tend to see both sides of the situation but I still have the compassion to know that pain should be treated.

Just my experience and hope you will be able to find an good solution for you.

G