I AM SUFFERING FROM SEVERE IBS.CAN ANYONE RELATE OR HELP ME IN TH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sheri, Feb 8, 2003.

1. sheri

sheri New Member

I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING FROM IRRATABLE BOWEL SYNDROME SINCE I WAS 14. I AM NOW 35.MY IBS HAS BECOME SO BAD SINCE I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH FMS/CFS THAT I AM CONSTANTLY CONSTIPATED.SOMETIMES I CAN GO 10 DAYS WITHOUT HAVING A BOWEL MOVEMENT.I ALSO EXPERIENCE BLADDER PAIN AND IT HURTS WHEN I URINATE.ALMOST EVERYTHING I PUT IN MY MOUTH TEARS MY INTESTINES AND STOMACH APART.I CAN'T EVEN LEAVE THE HOUSE SOMEDAYS BECAUSE IT IS SO BAD.I AM CURRENTLY TAKING XANAX FOR ANXIETY AND IBS
    ALONG WITH LEVSIN FOR THE IBS.IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO COULD RECOMMEND SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR THEM?I AM DESPERATE AND WILL TRY ANYTHING TO GET RELIEF.

THANK YOU,
    SHERI
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I also started to get IBS symptoms when I was 14. I've suffered most of my life - at that time I didn't even KNOW it was IBS. Anyway, my doctor told me to make sure I have enough fiber in my diet. Try Metamucil or something like that. I think cutting back on carbs also helps. I also found that when I'm very stressed it gets worse. So relaxation plays a big part in IBS symptoms. Drink a lot of water. If it doesn't get better soon I suggest yousee a gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy. They can tell right away what's going on there. I had one 2 years ago. They knock you out so you don't feel a thing. The stuff you take to get ready for it is pretty bad, but its' really worth it. My symptoms have mostly disappeared within the past 4 or 5 years. I hope you feel better soon - I know this thing is really awful!

Annette2
  3. palmtree

palmtree New Member

I have suffered from chronic constipation for 10 years (since I was 15). I tried everything and then recently my doctor put me on the new constipation drug Zelnorm. It has worked wonders! No more bloating feeling and you can have a bowel movement each day without all of the bulk fiber. I have heard that it does not work for everyone, but you may want to give it a try.
  4. fibolady

fibolady New Member

just a few things that have helped my ibs problems which i have battled my entire life, after trying hundreds (seems like) i found that:

eliminating whey/wheat/gluten (breads) from my diet. you can pull up information supporting this diet from the mayoclinic site - celiac disease.

found a wonderful herbal supplement (tried many, many before) from natural balance, ultra colon clenz. it also has ingredients that sooth your intestines, which maybe why it is so effective.

chew 2 fiber tabs a day. adding bulk, like psyllium (sp) would just "stop" me up forever, get my drift.

this is just speculation, but since i have been on klonopin i think it might have also helped the ibs problem by destressing my insides. just a theory.

hope this is helpful and good luck, i've been there!
    warm regards, fibolady
  5. Dayle

Dayle New Member

Sherri, STOP, eating anything with sugar,or white flour. Get some psyllium husks from the health food store & take 1 or 2 tsps in a full glass of water every day. Buy some plain glycerine suppositories & use every day until you are regular. Buy a fleet enema & use it if you have to. No one should have to suffer the way you are. Good Luck. DAYLE
  6. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I too have the same problems you have. If you are taking pain pills this could be contributing to the problem. I hate the gas that metamucil gives me so I have switched to ground flax seed. You can purchase this at the better health foods stores. Not a GNC- one that has the foods and stuff. It comes in little baggies. Grind it in a small coffe grinder and put about 1 tbls in yogurt, cereal or whatever. Has a nice nutty taste. The flax seed oil is excellent for IBS and crohns. Aloe vera juice is also excellent for healing the intestines. would sure try this before taking any prescription meds although that is a good last ditch effort. Good luck to you.
  7. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

and other days I always (including today) take Donnatol on a regular basis. The lomotil and bentyl stopped working for me over two years ago. The gastro doc did an upper and lower endoscopy/colonoscopy and told me that I just have SEVERE IBS. It restarted the day after Thanksgiving this year & I'd had almost a two year hiatus from it with very little time in-between where I needed medication. That was great! It is ALWAYS a fear with me, expecially when working that I'll have an incident. Right now, I'm only wearing a large shirt & undies for a quick remedy and easy sit if you get my drift! I don't think that there's ever a cure.

I've had patients that eat very bland diets and they still have it going on, either constant or intermittant. Don't know that it will ever resolve.

Good luck. dolsgirl
  8. tandy

tandy New Member

From IBS. The only thing that helped was stopping all lactose,(found in milk and milk products)I added fiber....Walmart has a cereal thats called Uncle Sams~Its a natural lax.,it has lots of little flaxseeds in it.(very good!!)And just as important...start on a good daily probiotic.I also take digestive enzymes.
    I had a very hard time with my IBS symptoms,seems its calmed down for now~
    Best of luck to you,
    Tracey
  9. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

and then diarrhea from IBS and med's causing constipation and I have a history of Crohn's disease (in remission) NOTHING OTC helped the AWFUL constipation until my doctor prescribed Miralax. It's a powder you drink in a liquid. No more consti problems!
    ~B~