I am totally freaked out by this. Anyone not? Anyone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by cjcookie, Mar 25, 2007.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

think this is a case of parents not knowing. I was working at my friend's store yesterday doing a little girl's birthday party. One of the guests came in and I greeted her and asked her name. The reply was Aryan. I tried not to have a shocked look on my face and asked again. Again, the same response. I told the little girl that was a pretty name and asked her how she spelled it. I think the answer was Aryain or Aryan. My first thought was how in the world could you be alive on this earth and not know what that meant. But I thought maybe since they spelled it different than Hitler that they didn't. I looked it up on the internet and there are some groups that spell it that way. The Dad had a bandana on because they rode motorcycles there. When he came back, he took off the bandana and he had a shaved head. He had a bunch of tatoos and I tried to look for swastikas without staring but I couldn't do it.

What do you guys think? Just stupid people or just extremely stupid people? It just made me totally sick to think of that poor little girl going through life with that name and perhaps those values. I swear, I couldn't make this up if I tried.
  2. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

seem to come up w the strangest names for their kids. Poor kids suffer w it till they're old enough to change it if they want to.

The parents probably thought it was cool.
  3. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

What do you think about the confederate flag?
  4. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

don't understand, there are different meanings for that name, I did look them up. but you mentioned her father? bald, had a bandana on and tats? you just described my oldest son. He also rides motorcycle. He shaves his head because he is going bald, he wears bandana cause his bald head sweats and in the sun he gets sun burned.He has tats well cause he likes them..does that make my son bad or a nazi? I hope not I think I taught him better.

Look beond what you see,you might see a good person.

May I address the rebel flag? the flag represented the south resistence to northern politicial domenance before it became racially charged during the civil right movement-please look into the history of the flag
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

they probably knew exactly what they were calling their daughter, it's not a name that comes up everyday, its not even a person's name so yes, they knew what they were doing.

As far as the guy looked, well that means nothing, there are more monsters in the world who wear suits and ties.

6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

My DD was given a beautiful bowl and pitcher that are really really old. They are a swirled pale blue with white swastikas on them. This was also created before the meaning was changed so drastically due to Hitler. The swastika was a completely different sign before Hitler.

As for the name Aryan, I don't have a problem with it. Sounds like a variation on Ariel to me. So many people have used Ariel since The Little Mermaid movie that if I really liked the name Ariel I might have used a variation and changed it some also.

Stop and smell the puppies!

PS. I looked this up on a baby name site and here's what I found:

Arian - Welsh - Means "Silver"

Ariane - Greek - Means "most pure"

Aryan - Latin - Means "From Hadria" which is an area on the Adriatic Sea

More hugzz[This Message was Edited on 03/26/2007]
  7. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

alone. It's just that there are skin heads.... Like I said, I couldn't see what was in his tattoos - looking for signs there, not judging. Personally, no, I don't like head to toe tats but if that's what someone likes, it is his/her business.

Yes, it's sad that Hitler took a peaceful sign and made it terrible but he did and everyone knows it. Even eBay doesn't let you sell items with that kind of stuff on it.

Civil war compared to what Hitler did? Come on, that's like comparing an ant to an alligator. No comparison whatsoever.
  8. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I was only interested in what you thought about seeing the Confederate flag displayed. I surely didn't want you to have to compare Hitler's atrocities to the Civil war.

Kindest regards,

9. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Yeah that's totally creepy. I think ADULTS have no excuse for naming a child after something that awful in human history. If they didn't know, or didn't care, then still it's not appropriate. And, of course, scarily enough, there are still people in this country who go along with that way of thinking.. it's shocking to me.

Hopefully the child will change their name as soon as they are of age. That's going to be really uncomfortable in 6th grade history to be sitting there with a name like that.
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, I have no comment regarding THIS CHILD's name!

Just a general statement .... there are so many ignorant adults who are naming thier children these made-up, cutesey, crazy names which they think are unique or something. They also take a plain name and spell it some odd way--another stupid thing!

They do not realize, or care, on what this child will have to go through for the rest of his/her life. They will be made fun of all through school. People will forever ask them how to pronounce their name, how to spell it, why their parents named them that, what does it mean, why is it spelled so differently, and can they just call them "(a nickname)" for short, etc.

This is my own personal opinion, and I know it may not set well with everyone else, but I feel it is rather irresponsible of a parent to name a child an odd name that will cause them lifelong problems. I wish I could think of some that I have heard of recently to give as examples, but right now I am a loss of my memory.

Another thing .... I also dislike unisex names--you know, to name a child a name that could easily be used for a male or female .... that causes identity problems.

and ... to name a child that is normally for a specific gender. For example, we had a town official in my hometown with the name of Lynn. I would have assumed that this person would have been a female unless I knew this person. Well, this person was a "he". His name would have been better spelled "Len" for a male if the parents liked that name--in my opinion. I knew him and he was made fun of all during school, and he had issues with his parents for giving him a "sissy" name as he called it.

I guess naming a child was considered an important issue between my husband and I when we had our children. His middle name was Lee, so we wanted to use it as a middle name with one of our children. We had already named our first daughter after his mother and my mother--the names just happen to fit together beautifully!--so when the second daughter came, we thought about many combinations of names that would go with "Lee" or "Lea". One of them was Sara Lee because his grandmother's name was Sara and he always loved his grandmother. However, we talked about it and decided that other people might make fun of her because of the cakes made by "Sara Lee". So we named her something else more fitting--my grandmother's name--which she is very proud of her name today.

Also, when you have a name that has been "made up" or spelled a non-traditional way, you run more chances of having it misspelled later in life in doctor office records, and other important documents such as social security, etc.

11. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Here in Texas you may see the Confederate flag some. To most, it does not signify that they want slavery back. What they are saying is "I'm a rebel" (a rebellious person). I am not personally offended by it. My ancestors were not even in this country during the Civil war.

I am actually more offended by a lot of the rap videos, which I think send the wrong message entirely.