I asked my Doc today for Mycoplasma test..........

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Sep 18, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

He said the Ins Co frowns on too many tests and he would get his hands slapped if he orders too many "unnecessary" tests, I really like him but this disturbed me, what the heck is insurance for, I would think they would want to get to the bottom of any problems, it would cut down on all expenses if improvement can happen.

I am seeing a new Dr next week though from the Co-cure list and he has fibro, I will ask him, I will go armed with info.

That'll show 'em!!!

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

He said the Ins Co frowns on too many tests and he would get his hands slapped if he orders too many "unnecessary" tests, I really like him but this disturbed me, what the heck is insurance for, I would think they would want to get to the bottom of any problems, it would cut down on all expenses if improvement can happen.

I am seeing a new Dr next week though from the Co-cure list and he has fibro, I will ask him, I will go armed with info.

That'll show 'em!!!

Jaci
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Remember that doctors get bonuses for NOT referring you to other doctors and for NOT ordering extra tests!!

Marilyn :)
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

bonus from the insurance company, for not giving you the test. What jerks they can be I guess he can't live with out his toys he buys from those kick backs.

Hope you have found a good one. Let us know what happens we'll be sending positive thoughts for you, Kim and Gary
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I'm fed up with all of them. I finally begged a nurse practioner to send me for the EBV test. Then I went to a infectious medicine and she refused all the other CFIDS tests--including Mycoplasma. She said my EBV is dormant so why bother. I have really good insurance and this annoys me that I can't find answers to my suspicious concerning MY health. I think I'm going herbal with the oil of oregan that Herblady wrote about. At least this can work on expelling any virus problem I'm having. It's natural and it will help the immune system. I have been soul searching for 20 years and haven't found a doctor that takes me serious yet.
    Tania
  6. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

that THE INSURANCE COMPANY TELLS THE DOCS WHAT THEY WILL PAY FOR AND WHAT THEY WILL NOT.
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

that THE INSURANCE COMPANY TELLS THE DOCS WHAT THEY WILL PAY FOR AND WHAT THEY WILL NOT.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What your doc is most likely saying is that ordering the test will cost him money. He most likely is either paid on a capitated basis or participates in a bonus program at the end of the year if costs are held down. He must, by law, disclose to you how the plan compensates him if you ask. You may changes you primary doc if yours withholds treatment.

If you are not successful in getting the test, you can pay for it yourself, or ask your doc for a 6 week cycle of antibiotics (Doxycycline, Cipro, or Azithromycin). If you have mycoplasma infection, you will have a Herx effect and you will notice a difference in symptoms. There is a paper by Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum stating that testing is not absolutely necessary.

The problem with the test is that unless you can have the blood drawn at the lab where the test is done, there is a big chance of a false negative. This is the worst thing which can happen because then you will not get treatment even though you have the infection.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Love, Mikie
  9. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

over the years of my husband and I working in the field an both of us dealing with chronic illnesses, I have found that the insurance companies tell them what drugs to use, starting with least expensive etc. I have battled United Health Care of North Carolina more times than I care to count. They flat out refuse to pay for a perscription if the dosage is any higher than the adverage dosage needed for a patient according to the Merk manual.

They are limited in testing as well. I always get copies from my docs from bloodwork so that the same two test are not run within the same year for the chronic stuff. For example mt rheumatologist ran a lupus and RA, sjogren's panel on me which all was well(is every year still she checks to make sure) My GP ordered some bloodwork which I was not aware of because of being way in the fog that day and my insurance company singled these tests out and sent my EOB stating the payment was my responsibility.

They have got us by the you know whats.

I have not read much on the microplasma testing-would like more info if you could point me in right direction. For me this long road started many many years ago with a bout of CFS that put me in the bed for months, then it passed and gradually came the fibro-so not sure when I got it. According to my best friend of 37 years she says I have always been different than the other kids-did not heal well, was sick more often and complained of joint pain etc as early as 8-10. Glad she remembers because I sure don't LOL

good luck with the doc. I am going to look at that list again and see if there is somewhere near me while I am not working. Gotten much worse over the last 2 years and my rheumatologist keeps telling me I am not the woman that walked in her door two years ago-she is good to me and has always listened but her belief is that it cannot be just fibro with me-she feels there is more to it-convinced I have sjogren's and wonders what auotoimmune disease is wrecking havic with me. Also my mother and her brother had MS, their mother Lupus and now my daughter has been dxed with fms at age 13--sounds like genetics to me, coinsidence I think not.

anyway first post of the morning and I started rambling, sorry

good luck with new doc-post results when you get them and keep us posted

cathy
  10. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

I seen his name on the list and was wondering if thats who you were seeing. If so let me know how it goes cause I was thinking about seeing him also. I do have an appt with a rhue doc at WVU the 30th and I was told she treats two or three people with fm. So I hope I'm seeing the right person.