I ate the wrong food & now my body is freaking out!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lisadot, Nov 10, 2010.

1. lisadot

lisadot New Member

So I ate a fatty meal last weekend and ever since I have been feeling awful!!! I am a nurse, but a fraidy cat with anything having to do with my body. I am so tired of the pain and contemplating going out on disability.

I had trigger point injections into my shoulders and high in my neck last night, and could hardly sleep last night. But my liver and what has become of my body after the lap choly (gallbladder removal) are what is really frightening me. I seem to have no ability to control my fears. I go from A to Z in a heartbeat. Worried about tests, needles, bad news. It's scary. And it's obsessive.

I've been dealing with this for years, and discovered about 3 years ago I had a fatty liver, which I did NOT have before the gallbladder surgery. All the other organs were fine - ducts, pancreas, etc. I have been trying hard to go to the gym, and really forcing myself to lose weight and somehow impact the lab tests I'm having at the end of the month. But now I think I really screwed up by eating fried zucchini and a potato skin which had cheese, bacon, and sour cream on it. Since that night, I've been bloated, have increased discomfort over my right lower rib cage, and am worrying myself sicker. Yes, I take Milk Thistle, and have cut waaay back on using muscle relaxants, pain meds, or anything else.

I will have my physical therapist check and see if my liver feels *weird* tomorrow, but I know she thinks I'm crazy at times - not in a bad way, but she knows I am a worrier. I've been told it's costochondroitis or maybe adhesions, but I don't know. And it burns from time to time. Is that my liver ready to explode? I don't drink.

I hate going to the doctor. I had normal labs in March, but didn't see the doc in July, but instead have an appt the first day of December. This is what happens if they tell me to call them back to schedule an appt and not allow me to do it at the time of the last visit - I'm like a child that way. I had to have the office fax me a prescription for lab tests prior to the appt, but I am scared to get them done. Scared to learn what is wrong. Scared to have confirmation there IS something else wrong. I've had all these liver lab tests done previously, and they ruled out bile duct diseases and all hep ,and things like that, but somehow I wonder...uh oh...were those tests wrong?! Nuts, huh?

In the meantime my husband needs surgery, not serious, but coming up in the next couple of weeks. Add that to the plate. I can't sleep on either side,because it just hurts or is uncomfortable. What now???

<big sigh, and trying hard not to cry at my desk...>
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Lisa - Costochondritis has nothing to do with your liver. It is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the breastbone.
  3. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Yes, I understand there is no connection. But as you are aware, the ribcage covers our other organs. And I was also told the pain can occur all around the ribcage, not just at the junction of the sternum. Basically, I feel like crap and am tired of it, and the associated anxiety. I work alone, and mind my is having a hard time focusing elsewhere. Do you know what I mean?
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Can be a part of our illnesses, especially if our brain chemistry gets out of whack. With all we have to deal with, though, it would be amazing if we didn't worry and experience anxiety. Finding time to sit quietly and just breathe, or meditate, can help a lot. So can prayer or simple positive reflection. At first, it's hard because scary thoughts try to force out anything quiet, pleasant or positive. It takes practice.

I've had a hard time finding a blood pressure med I can tolerate. The one I'm on now decreases norepinephrine in the brain. It interfers with my sleep and can cause anxiety. My doc added Cozaar and we drastically reduced the BP med. I've already been through five of them. This one I can at least tolerate. My sleep is improving but it took so long, and my sleep was so compromised, that I had to retire. I know what it is like to experience anxiety and it can take over one's life. When I feel the anxiety, I tell myself that there is no real basis for it and that it's the drug talking. That seems to work for me.

I never had problems following my gb surgery but I later got e-coli and it seems to have affected my organs. They don't know whether there has been any permanent damage and my tests are OK. At the time, I was so swollen that it looked like I was wearing an innertube around my middle. Now, when I'm not feeling well, I get pains on both sides in the front and it does cause concern. I am recovering from a bad sinus infection and it has caused too much acid in my stomach. It's always something. I've never had this before. Yikes! It's always something but, realistically, most of our worst worries never come to pass.

Please know that I understand how you feel. I pray that you can find a way to deal with the anxiety and that you heal.

Love, Mikie
  5. sascha

sascha Member

three events triggered cfids crashes recently because of my extreme reactivity. i go down into my fear place and functioning capacity completely goes. i've been having excessive food (& bad choices) episodes, and had a bad pain attack while out in my car. it's very bad news. i do so much better when i'm on my good food plan, but when bad/difficult/challenging news hits me i tend to go for instant gratification in the form of food; to suppress the worries.

i have a tool now i use and it helps with physical symptoms, plus the intense fear i can get down into- and it takes over- from past (many) calamities. and i KNOW people go oh right blah blah blah- i would have been one of them- but i'm not now because i use this technique and get remarkable relief. it's tapping on meridian points- is based on ancient acupressure/acupuncture approach but has key modern additions that make it more effective. and you can self-administer. i'm telling you, it works.

check at eftuniverse.com for inf. and you can download manual on how to do it. it's not a hard technique to learn, and it can be put immediately to work on problems. i've used it and been amazed at how much it helps- with pain, abdominal distress, headaches, upsets, worries--it can be tried on anything/everything and i hope everyone who can benefit from it discovers what a comfort it is, and how much it can help. sascha
  6. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Finding a time to relax is a REAL challenge for me. Years of therapy have helped a little bit, but I think all the trauma in my life has left me (I hesitate as I want to write the word *damaged*) a bit tweaked. Worst fears make me feel out of control, and I hate that. I have been trying to find distractions, and recently I've started creating jewelry again. Since I went back to work approaching 12 years ago, my life hasn't been about creativity, which I do miss - apparently. Plus, living in LA is not really terribly conductive to mellowing out. I have to work harder at it, thanks for the reminder.

I'm glad your gb surgery didn't cause long term damage, but sorry to read the infection weakened/impacted the rest of your body. Fibro and sinus issues aren't uncommon- I get allergy shots to help my immune system, and they do. I wish I still had my gallbladder, and I think it's more necessary than docs admit to patients.

Funny about medications, and how they can trigger other problems. Sometimes I feel like it's chasing as if you're chasing your tail. You have my empathy with your bp meds and the problems you've experienced. I'm glad your doc isn't giving up on you, and has tried a different combo.

I just decided to try apple cider vinegar and a bit of honey to *adjust* my system. I hope it doesn't hurt my IC condition or the GERD, and it's homeopathic. Sheesh! I feel a little better than when I wrote this original post - maybe 20 percent. I wish we didn't get all these random pains which are confusing and add to anxiety further. I've had several docs just brush me off, or say it's nothing.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. It means a lot.

7. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Hi Sascha,
    Sorry to read you had a rough week. I think our nervous systems are not quite right, and I will look at the website you mention. I THINK I've read about this before. I've had acupuncture done for my neck pain and other issues. I believe you when you say you believe this tapping technique works, and I will look into trying it myself.

I'm trying to hard to stop eating things which aren't healthy. I wish sugar didn't make me feel good while I'm eating it. Food is legal, and readily available. And I think restaurants and food manufacturers often don't help people. It's a mess out there. I guess companies think putting extra sugar,salt, and fat into foods will make them taste better and keep people buying them. I was never one who looked much at organic foods before, but I'm having a different reaction now. I only use Stevia packets when I'm out (which is often). I hope I'm not deluding myself there...

I too live in California, but lifelong. Vermont, I visited about 2 years ago. My husband and I loved it! I think I could go to a happy place thinking about the blue skies, green grass, and happy cows. I just have to stop before the image of Ben & Jerry's enters my head. LOL!

Meridian points! On the list! Thanks again!

8. sascha

sascha Member

i'm back on on my good food plan (i tested very high for cholesterol last spring, but refused to go on statins, and brought cholesterol down being on my good food plan for three months). oatmeal in mornings, with walnuts, fruit, stevia. big protein, vegs meal for lunch. or eggs and vegs and turkey bacon. then yogurt-almond milk put through blender with frozen berries, banana, stevia- then i chop up apples and walnuts, put it in bowl and it's like ice cream.

i'm dreaming of Vermont, too- i'd love to go spend a month by myself off iin the country. i'd miss my dog something awful, though. i grew up there- have been in Calif 10 years. i love San Francisco, but am missing Vermont- used to live out on dirt road in house heated by wood stove. dream on silvery moon..... best, Sascha