I.B.S. Anyone? this may help...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JudithMary, Oct 24, 2005.

1. JudithMary

JudithMary New Member

Lots of people with fibromyalgia also suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I was advised by my G.P. in South Africa to eat pawpaw (papaya/papino)every day. Pawpaw contains enzymes which help the digestive tract, and I certainly have found that it works.

For a really "start the day the best you can in a crap situation" breakfast: oatmeal, yoghourt and pawpaw (about a cupful)- low g.i., good bacteria and digestive enzymes - I have even learned to love it!

It works for me - worth a try!

Good luck and hugs to all

Judy
    KwaZulu-Natal
    South Africa
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

my Gastro doc says eat 1/4 cup of Oat bran (on the top shelf in the store above the oatmeal) microwave per instuctions add 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup prune juice.. do this every morning building up to 1/2 a cup a morning.. she also said to add diced dates or figs to plain yogurt and eat daily.. (one small fig has more fiber than an apple..)

The most important thing I got from her though is to limit Insoluble fiber and add Soluble fiber.. I really never knew there was a differnce. If you do a search on Soluble fiber lists are available.. Insoluble fiber can make IBS much worse..
    I haven't trie the "paw-paws".. I'll have to give it a shot!
    Thanks for sharing Judy!
  3. karatelady52

karatelady52 New Member

I searched and only found a limited list.

Also, what if it has equal amounts of soluable fiber and insoluable fiber in it?

Sandy
  4. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

Stormyskye's Shake! Its working for me!
    Raz
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

easy I hope?

I hate feeling like I'm preparing a meal!!
    I have enough of that already! LOL

I need simplicity :)
  6. dononagin

dononagin New Member

Oatmeal
    Oatbran
    Psyllium seeds, ground
    FRUIT )
    Apple
    Bananas
    Blackberries
    Citrus Fruit (orange, grapefruit)
    Nectarines
    Peaches
    Pears
    Plums
    Prunes
    LEGUMES
    Beans
    Black Beans
    Kidney Beans
    Lima Beans
    Navy Beans
    Northern Beans
    Pinto Beans
    Lentils (yellow, green, orange)
    Peas
    Chick Peas
    Black eyed Peas

Sandy.. I'm not sure what to do if they have both.. most do.. I just know she told me to stay away from whole grains such as wheat.. I have to limit my vegies to avoid bloating.. have to limit broccolli, califlower, onions, peppers, cabbage..beans are on the soluble list.. but I'm supposed to avoid anything that causes gas.. She told me I should also limit milk products as they also can cause trouble with IBS.. I can't have anything carbonated.. I'm supposed to give up caffeine.. (fat chance.. gotta have my morning coffee!!)I'm supposed to limit red meat.. nothing fried..I've really reached a point that I don't know what to eat!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[This Message was Edited on 10/24/2005]