I.B.S DOES ANYBODY HAVE IT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jg004o6371, Nov 15, 2006.

1. jg004o6371

jg004o6371 New Member

I.B.S IS A BLOODY PAIN,CANT GO ANYWHERE WHERE THERE ISNT A TOILET,I GET BLOATED ALL THE TIME,DOES ANY1 KNOW WHAT NOT TO EAT,OR DRINK PLZ,I ALREADY TAKE PEPPERMINT OIL CAPSULES,BUT JUST NEED SOME ADVICE,
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I have it with constipation mostly. It's awful either way.

Do you get satalite t.v.? A program called To Your Health w/ Dr. Richard becker was on today and the topic was iBS.

you can go to the website just type in bio Innovations.

He reccommends fiber from Veggies, not grains, that will make it worse. Glucomanann is a good fiber source.
    Lot's of water pro=biotics, and oregeno oil for yeast, which makes IBS worse.

peppermint oil is good for cramps only.

benedryl helps some with IBS w/ d.

Hope this helps,
    Claudia

P.S. check for food allergies, wheat, gluten, dairy,etc.[This Message was Edited on 11/15/2006]
  3. Geegafer

Geegafer New Member

I get I.B.S. occasionally. It usually last for 4 to 6 days and I never know what brings it on.
    I've tried to pinpoint what foods I might have had prior but there is an inconsistancy as to what I've eaten before. It is mysterious isn't it?
    It comes and goes and sometimes I have long periods of time between bouts and I've often thought I might be cured since I have had nice long gaps in between. No such luck.
    Do you have symptoms daily?
    I cannot imagine.

Blessings,
    Gigi
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

Hi, if you're willing to give up food as you know it, here's some things to try:

Look up food combining. For example, if you mix starch and protein, you can't digest them properly. This is major inconvenience but it can be done; I do it. There are other rules, too, but this is the one everybody breaks.

Take digestive enzymes with every meal and betaine hcl for proteins.

Eat lots of vegetables, but steamed with spices like onions and garlic not stuff like bacon grease for flavor.

Give up wheat and dairy. No cheese, milk, yogurt and basically nothing that comes in a box.

Italian foods are a no-no, stuff like lasagna and pizza are impossible to digest and cause problems. I miss pizza like hell but too bad. I ate bad for most of my life and it's payback time.

No junk food or greasy crap that tastes good.

You could try some of these and see what happens. If you clean up your gut (see leaky gut syndrome), after awhile you may be able to cheat with some old foods but by then maybe you wouldn't want to. Once you start eating healthy and your body likes it, then you just don't feel like putting garbage in it. I have to do all these things to keep my liver and guts happy or I relapse with cfs and crash. good luck! karen
  5. kbak

kbak Member

My personal thought on this is that there are more people out there that are gluten intolerant than thought. I've had IBS since I was 18. I'm now 54.

I don't suffer from it anymore since I went off gluten about a yr. ago. It's a sure way to tell weather that is your problem. Stop gluten. Way easier today than ever before.

Just a thought.

kbak

6. MissLillian

MissLillian New Member

I have tried Culturelle for this problem and it does work. It is pricey,but it does work. Hope this helps.
  7. jg004o6371

jg004o6371 New Member

THAX FOR ALL THE ADVICE QUITE A LOT OF THINGS TO CONSIDER,I WILL TRY AND GET SOMETHING DONE ABOUT IT, BCAUSE I HAVE IT NEARLY EVERYDAY AND IT IS NOT NICE,SO THAX AGAIN MATES,
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I have IBS-C.

I have to use various means to get to go to the bathroom.
    I can have two weeks with no bowel movement. Not comfortable!

nyrofan
  9. 1faith

1faith New Member

Bentyl. Sometimes Levsin works for me.

My triggers are stress, aspirin, ibuprofen, sinus meds, lettuce, and caffeine.
  10. FOYBOYFOY

FOYBOYFOY New Member

IBS FUN FUN
    ive had ibs for years , i quit drinking milk a year ago and im 90% better--go figure GOD BLESS FOY
  11. NightAngel

NightAngel New Member

Yes I do! I don't have a problem with the constipation part of it, only diarrhea. I used to have it up to 25 times a day! After suffering for a few years with it and having it totally ruin my life, I finally discovered that if I increase my fiber and DO NOT drink milk or eat ice cream or any other dairy product, I can go weeks at a time without a problem. I drink lactose free milk now and some brands are better than others. You'll have to experiment to see which one works for you. (If in fact you're lactose intolerant. I never had a problem with milk until I was in my early 40's) I also get a lot of help from using Benefiber or from eating granola bars everyday.

I hope you find what works for you. I know what a horrible existence it is having IBS.
  12. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I have crohns disease and ibd....i was told by my gi to not eat red meat, raw veggies, milk products, popcorn, peanuts, spicy foods can cause a trigger....what iw as told to do is make a food journal, write down everything you eat in a day and see if any of the foods you eat that day trigger "d".

keep journal until you figure out what you can and cannot eat. also, if you have "d" all the time, several times a day...go on light food, soups, dry toast, applesauce and such. there is also a "brat" diet...bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

call your dr and see what dr says also. stress, aniexty, and such can cause triggers of "d" also.

let us know what happens.

jennie
  13. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I have the dreaded Diarrhea IBS. I have just about become a hermit not only for the FM but the IBS as well. I fully understand the symptoms you are describing. I was finally diagnosed as Lactose Intolerant after my symptoms became so chronic that I was unable to function outside my home. I do have accidents on occasion and those are clear cut with absolutely no warning.

I will say that I have seen some improvement since coming off the lactose and taking Aciphex for a couple of years now. It can be very self-limiting to have both IBS and FM. Some days I feel as if every muscle is tied in knots and as if someone kicked me in my lower abdomen. The bloating and gas is extremely uncomfortable and the days where 1 regular BM is normal is far removed from my life. I think if I have # of BM's in single digits I am having a good day!

Sorry you have this to contend with as well.
  14. sfd647

sfd647 New Member

1faith

I too had used Levsin and found that it was great to take. It was used mostly for the stomach spasms I would end up having but works on any area in the gastro system of our body to break up the spasms which of course is I.B.S.

I had been given 3 packets of 4 by my doctor to try one time and I found it to be so much better than using Donnatal that time. I mean it would work so fast like within 5 min. That was incredible. I had had a spasm at work one day and thought I was almost having a heart attack. My stomach was like there was air in it and it could not let it out and the pressure was so great it ran up my neck and put so much pressure in my chest. I tried to remain calm and finally was able to get a doctor appt immediately. I went from work straight to the doctor and that is when he introduced me to Levsin.

Later on down the road, after I had reached to the point of having only about 3 pills left, I asked for a prescription. My doctor at that time didn't want to give it to me because it was found not to be the safest antispasmodic agents. It was hard to believe it and I ended up ONLY using what I had left for very high emergencies. Well, the time came about 2 yrs ago when I had a very rough case on night and it was a situation where no one could be absolutely sure it was not a heart attack so I was instructed to go to the emergency room. To wrap it up, the only thing they decided to use on me at that point was Bentyl. They had given me liquid stuff. They also gave me a shot of something and I am not sure but anyway, it worked and things calmed down. I was still a bit achy up in the chest and shoulders. Later on I tried to take the Bentyl but it simply didn't work out right. In spring of 2006 when I had to be in the hospital for cellulites, my stomach did its number on me and they ended up giving me 2 donnatal at a time. THAT seemed to help me better than the Bentyl. So that is where I am now. I have a bottle of Donnatal and I use 2 tablets at a time as I need it. I think it is every 6 hrs as needed. I am not sure since I don't use it that often. So I still have no idea what the reason is that doctors and others feel that Levsin is not a "safe" antispasmodic, but I thought I should pass that on to you 1faith and others reading this. I would hate for anything to happen to any of you by continuing to use this medication or start this medication. I, myself, would WISH that it WAS safe because I think it was GREAT and still do but I don't want anything worse for me.

Blessings
    Sylvia
  15. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

My dad is a radiologist, so sometimes he researches stuff for me when he has time. He recently told me that artichoke capsules are supposed to help with IBS. I also get IBS on occasion. When it hits, it's bad.

Honestly, I think mine occurs with stress. A lot of our health issues are stress-related. I would definitely look at diet, but I don't think it's the sole cause. Also, not every diet works for everyone. For example, following Barrow's diet would not work for me at all, however, I'm glad it works for her. You should find the diet that works for you be aware that it will be trial and error.

Much love, Erika
  16. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but metamucil clear i sprinkle on everything.

jodie
  17. lease79

lease79 New Member

I have IBS with constipation.. Alternates to the opposite occasionally, but that said the constipation alone causes me alot of distress. Stomach pain, gas, nausea, dizzy spells...
  18. mary124

mary124 New Member

I have IBS-D. I have been taking levsin. Also benefiber. Watch my diet. This doesn't always help, I do have flare ups on occassion, think its other medication that I take though.
  19. padre

padre New Member

I thought I would not ever get my IBS d and c controlled. Went to a gastroenterologist for something else. He put me on Benefiber and Bentyl. He said the usual dose was 4 tablespoons of Benefiber a day along with 4 Bentyl caps. I started at 1 teaspoon and 1 pill because I always over react to things. I have been urged to use fiber for years and the various brands just made me worse. Well, my gut is lots better. I plan on continuing with the two B's.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2006]
  20. jg004o6371

jg004o6371 New Member

hi every1

my i.b.s playing up 2day couldnt get of the toilet this morning stomach aching went for a pee then all of a sudden it all came out,finished then 5mins after at to go again,just poured out of me,i only had porridge for breakfast with skinned milk,