I bit the bullet and finally got a walking stick - so OLD!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jfrustrated, Nov 12, 2005.

1. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Well, I finally did it. I have been feeling increasingly insecure walking in public, even in shoping centres and on flat surfaces. So, today, I went to the chemist and bought a walking stick. An allunimium one that looks like copper, is very light and folds up into four pieces so that it will go in my shopping bag. I tried it out (in private) and it really seems to help with balance and control. The next step is to use it in public and then use it in front of people I know. Move over grandma!!!!! I feel sooo old - but if it helps!!!
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Makes me feel; old .I'm afraid of falling in public.Have fallen a few times my left leg goes numb.

Yesterday was awful Dh and I went shopping .I could barely walk after 5 min.So had to get an electric cart.Talk about people steering.Thank goodness my cane was in the cart or they would have thought I was taking it away from someone who really needed it.

Should wear a sign on My forehead that states I AM DISABLED AND IN PAIN.

Sue
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

when I manage to get out.

I have thought about using electric cart uptown but I am so scared that I will plough into predestrians so I struggle along with my stick and go home early. I would be able to stay longer if I used the cart but I really am worried about controlling it.

love
    Rosie

4. brie

brie New Member

I can relate very easily to how you feel. I had to start using the cane and the electric cart this past year and yes I instantly felt very old. But it is that or falling in public which is very uncool or staying home and that is a very long life. So hold your head up high and know in your heart you're running with the best of them.

Young at Heart
  5. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I have a cane that I use, and quite frequently too! I'm only 22, but the thought of falling flat on my face (again) in public was far worse then the embarassment of using a cane.

Besides, when someone says something smart about it - I have a cane to whack 'em with ;)
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I've described my walk in previous posts as jerky, bouncy, puppet-like, etc. While visiting my parents last weekend, my father went to the closet and brought 2 canes for me to try.

Neither is adjustable, but one can be cut. I, too, have practiced at home, but not in public yet, however, if I don't start using it in public soon, I'm going to get accused of being drunk. Wouldn't that be something!!

abbylee PS Way to go Alyndra, just don't fall when you whack!!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]
  7. edithe

edithe New Member

Well all you young folks. Really feeling old Ha I say. I am 70 and have had fibro for several years. Wasn't told I had it until 10yrs ago.
    I too didn't want to use a cane or an a scooter in the stores. Well it got to the point that if I wanted to go anywhere I would need the scooter. My dr wrote a scrip for one. Last Dec I picked it up. we went to Fla for a couple of months and boy what a ball I had. My niece came down and put a sticker on it for the New England Patriots and everone thought it was cool. I now have the nerve to use my cane when I go to family gatherings and get it is about time you got smart. No more fear of falling and it does make a difference how I feel.
    Botton line folks is be glad you can get around with a cane or what ever you need. There are those who can't get out at all.
    Bless you all
    carolyn
  8. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

That's great!

My boyfriend just bought me a shirt that has the standard sign for handicapped parking on the front and it says "I'm just in it for the parking."

I wear it, I love it, and it fuels people's ignorance. I'm never one to complain when someone makes themself look stupid, even if it's at my expense ;)

~Amanda
  9. zerped

zerped New Member

One of the most important things I discovered after using a cane for a short while was that just because I'm using a cane right this very minute doesn't mean I have to use it every waking moment of every day. I read an article online from a congresswoman in D.C. who has MS. She says she may show up at work one day with a cane, the next day in a scooter or with a walker and the next day in a wheelchair. Funny how we lock ourselves into one thing and don't think "outside the box." I generally need the cane mainly in cold, wet weather.

The cane is good for some other things as well. It forces me to slow down (a bit). I've always rushed madly about, and the cane reminds me I need to slow down.
  10. edithe

edithe New Member

Humor is what keeps us going. Thank you. The light switch is a great idea.
  11. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Also,There is a site Penny rose that has a cane full of roses.Make it an accesory and have fun with it.Decorate it for the Holidays!!!!!Linda