I bought an ORANGE cauliflower yesterday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bct, Apr 18, 2006.

1. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I'm always on the look out for new veggies and so could not resist this bright orange cauli. in the produce dept.

It is delicious! Less watery and more creamy than the white ones. Keeps its color when cooked. Looks freaky, but is really good.

A chance mutation from Canada in 1970, that was back-bred to white caulis.

The orange cauli. has 25 times MORE vit. A than the white.
  2. lolee

lolee New Member

sounds pretty!!!

I love that kind of off beat stuff!

Lolee
  3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I love cauliflower so that sounds wonderful. As we live in the same area, I wondered where you bought it?

We have sun today...finally! Hope you do, also.

Thanks,
    Sue
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

LIKE AN ORANGE?

Martha Stewart will probably be telling us to hollow one out at Haloween to use as a center piece.
  5. bct

bct Well-Known Member

I bought it at Ray's Shop Smart in Redway. I think it will be a popular veg. once it catches on. I think it was just released to markets last year.

Oh Rocky, count on you to wise-crack! Actually, it tasted like ----- A CAULIFLOWER ------ but richer, almost creamy. My partner even liked it, and he usually whines about his cabbages and other crucifers. A cross he will have to bear. As for Martha, I think she will most likely use it for a floral-arrangement. It is certainly bright enough. LOL.

Best wishes to all,
    Batty, I mean Barry.
  6. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I will try Ray's up here. If not, I'll wait until we come to Benbow with our RV...I'll try there.

My husband won't eat most vegies. He's not rabid about it, but he just doesn't eat them....which is OK with me. I made enchilladas half veggie and half meat. Works well.

Thanks again.

Sue
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

It was around a few years ago. It was a cross between broccoli and cauliflower. It looked like a green head of cauliflower, but had a broccoli flavor. It was really yummy! I haven't seen any for quite some time. Anyone else ever try broccoflower?
  8. bct

bct Well-Known Member

Yes I've had BF, it tasted pretty much like brocc. to me, but more expensive. I think it was sometimes called Romanesco, but not sure...

Sue, you should ask your produce manager to get it in. I badgered mine to carry arugula and broccoli sprouts and he did, and they are both still brisk sellers. So you RV in Benbow? Do you eat at the Inn? I'm sorry to say the food has gome down-hill there, but let's see what this year's chef can put on the menu!

Sue, you are so lucky to have all those good farmer's markets near you. I am really envious, ours is rather SMALL. Also you have some decent restaurants, not that I get out to eat much anyway.

Best Wishes to you both
    Barry