I called my DR today and they were so rude................

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doxygirl, Feb 20, 2007.

1. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I called my Dr today in regards to the uti I have...........the pain seems to have moved to my back where my kidneys are................and when Im not on pain meds it hurts bad.

So, I called my Dr and asked to speak with the nurse, he was so rude to me! I asked him if this much pain was normal and if uti pain should be near my kidneys........

He said yes it can be.............and just sat there not saying anything else........so I said "well should I just keep taking my antibiotics?

He said yep!
    I think he could tell I was getting upset with him because then he said " well if it is not better in a few days then call back and we can do another urine test!

I almost cried when I hung up............maybe in a few days I could be in serious trouble if my uti has spread to my kidneys............wouldn't it be fairly easy to just make sure and do another urine test to make sure......

Iam so tired of people and DR's that just don't care!

Wah Wah Wah

Doxy
  2. kriket

kriket New Member

Can you go and get a second opinion from another doctor?? Seems like your doctor is a bit careless. I think you should go and do whatever your gut is telling you to do.

Kriket
  3. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I could go to urgent care ...but I have an HMO so I can't just go to any DR I want to...........as far as a second ooinion Iam not sure how that works?

I do know that ever since October I have been complaining abourt being so sick..........finally in Jan my DR ran some tests I called them about a week later to find out my results and the girl was so rude she said to me" We will call YOU if there is anything we need to discuss on your results"!

This just seems to be a commom occurance with DR's and thier staff and quite frankly Iam tired of it!

I tried to get on my ins co's web page to complain but you can only call and complain you cannot e-mail them !

Just another frustration for me.........Iam so tired of making phone calls and then you push buttons for 10 minutes only to reach a recording saying they are too busy to answer you call right now!

Sorry for complaing so much but really something has got to change with the medical system and the lack or compassion and care we receive!

Thank you for writing to me and for your suggestion....maybe tomorrow I will try to call and change DR's???

Hugs
    Doxy
  4. homesheba

homesheba New Member

that makes me soo angry!! there seems to be absolutly no professional people anymore at some places and many are at dr offices!!!
    very seldom do i find a nice helpful person, and when i do- i really compliment them.
    i was always professional in my job to others- even when tired or whatever...
    i have also been treated like you and wind up in tears. i sure hope you will have a good place to go soon.
  5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi, I see you are from So. Cal. also. So sorry about your experience. Well, I can tell you one of the downsides of living in this area is that the doctor's offices are always so busy. At least in my city! It is really disheartening sometimes. I just never feel like I get the personal attention I need. And the hospitals are overcrowded. I had my gallbladder removed about 2 yrs. ago., the lack of attention and the "fast food" like atmosphere was truly horrifying.

Luckily, we are getting a new hospital right around the corner from me in a few years. I hope I don't need any other surgeries any time soon.

I know how you feel, it just makes you want to cry. It is kind of scary sometimes. I did switch dr.'s for that very reason. Can you? The one I have now is more accomodating and less busy. But if she gets too busy or I feel like I am not getting the care I need, I will move on again. Hope you can find someone more caring.

Your grandson is adorable, that picture made me smile! :) Well, hope you are having a better night. Kim
  6. doxygirl

doxygirl New Member

I must admit that right after I hung up with my Dr's staff, I got out my provider directory....my husband is helping me to look for another DR.

I am looking for areas like Irvine and a few others, maybe even UCLA, or USC area they are kind of far from where I live but I have heard they are some of the best places you can go.

And Kim you are right, I have had so many DR's in the last 10 years of my life, everytime a DR or his staff does me wrong I move on..........I think it is once again that time....the problem for me is that my Dr IS so good about providing my pain medication, he never hassles me and yet he monitors me like he cares.

I will keep you posted on what I decide and what happens with my situation

Thanks again
    Doxy

P.S> Kim if you don't mind could you tell me the name of the Dr you are seeing maybe it is not too far from me?
  7. Catseye

Catseye Member

What a jerk!

Have you tried apple cider vinegar for the uti? I had one last year and got online to look for a natural cure since anitbiotics really mess me up. I came across ACV as the most popular cure. So I took 2 tbsp in a glass of water with a little bit of honey and sipped it very slowly, over 2-3 hours. I did this every day until it went away. I can't remember how long that was because of fog but I think it was just a few days, less than a week. You should go to a health food store and get the ACV with "mother" in it, not just Heinz from the grocery store.

It's cheap and it really made me feel good, too, not just by getting rid of the uti. Now I drink some every once in awhile. You can ask the doctor if it will hurt anything, but I couldn't find anything bad about it and I looked hard because my liver's bad and the slightest harmful substance messes me up for days. That's why I can't take antibiotics.

good luck!

karen
  8. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

Oh man docs really get me mad, and what's worse is sometimes you find a good doc but his/her staff is awful.

The good thing is we have a choice to which doc we give our (the insurance's) money to. It is a hassle, I myself hated finding a new doc or dentist etc. But in the end, when you find the right one it is worth it.

As for your UTI, when did it start? you may not have a strong enough anti biotic. A UTI can travel up to the kidneys. If you have been on antibiotic more than 2 or 3 days you should be feeling better.

Cranberry juice (lots of it) helps to clean out your system and is a natural remedy for UTIs.
  9. boltchik

boltchik New Member

My doctor is Dr. Gisi in Temecula. It sounds like you live in the Orange county area if you are looking around Irvine. May be quite a bit too far to travel. Good luck to you! Kim :)
  10. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Did you ask for a pain prescibition? I have had UTI's in the past - before FM and I know how horrible they are. Most times, however Doctors do not give you pain meds. without you asking.
  11. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have had those types of UTIs and it does takes time for the infection to clear up (if you are on antibiotics). A male co-worker had a UTI and pain in his back and HE was given pains meds. I (female) was never given pain meds ... different docs. Stay off soda and coffee and drink LOTS of water and juices. And get some rest if you can. It is painful.

I would go to urgent care or another DR if you feel he is not treating the situation correctly. It is your body and your health.

BTW: DRs do not like to be ?d or criticized. I learned that the hard way when my son was a baby. I got my head bitten off and left in tears. We got along great after that.
  12. Shalala

Shalala New Member

My Dad told me that is what I need ... ACV daily. My 85 year old Uncle (who looks 60) drinks that daily and swears by it. My ? is how do you get it down??? With all the meds I already take that would make everything come back up ... lol. It may be worth a shot though. People have used vinegar for years to clean with. How much do you take per day?
  13. Catseye

Catseye Member

Just put 2 tbsp of it in a big glass of water with the tsp or 2 of honey and sip on it. It's really not bad, not the good stuff, when it's that diluted. Also, I forgot to mention it's best to drink it through a straw and I usually have another glass of plain water to sip after because you don't want the acid to stay on your teeth for any length of time. That was from a dentist on one of the ACV posts I read; he used it, too, but told people to make sure they don't swish it around their mouths (who would want to?!) and to use a straw.

At first, it was a little weird, but if you chase it down with some plain water, it's do-able. The benefits are worth it. It's good for all kinds of things, not just UTIs. And you do get used to it.

karen
  14. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Doxy:

Maybe you can give him the benefit of the doubt. At least you got him on the phone.

I have found that some of the doctors hide behind secretarys and such.

At least you were able to talk to him. In my experience they do not take many calls unless you have them paged after hours.

They certainly do respond then.

nyrofan