I can no longer do my job, but I am having trouble leaving it.Help please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by emt564, May 6, 2003.

1. emt564

emt564 New Member

I have been diagnosed a year ago with fm and I really am having trouble doing my job I can't do what I use to. I really love my job but I can't do what is required of me. How do I let the only thing that I like to do go?Please help.Brenda
    [This Message was Edited on 05/06/2003]
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

Brenda, I so know what you mean. I started a business while recoving from Poly Myalgia Rheumatica and managed to get it going and keep it going for ten years. I loved it but finally had to admit I was taking money from people and not able to give them the value of myself they thought they were buying. I was selling a defective product and by doing so had crossed a moral line. When I looked at it from that view point the decision was a no brainer and I felt relief. There was a greiving process but now I am looking foreword to whatever the next adventure in this thing called life has in store for me.
    Try looking at your job from the other side. Are you doing the job you are paid for? Are you putting anyone in danger by doing inferior work? Will the company have a mess to clean up cuz of your poor cognitive abilities. Only you can look and answer these questions and when you do it might help you make the decision. For me admitting the truth was very freeing and trerapeutic. I slept for an entire month but felt better when I finally woke up and boy was I sick of peanut butter cuz it was all I ate cuz I couldnt drive to the store or cook.
  3. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

...when I first started researching this DD I read somewhere (goodness knows where or said by whom???) that one of the biggest hurdles we have to get over is to learn how to just be, rather than to do...
    I didn't quite understand what it meant then, but I do now.

It isn't an overnight thing by any means, more like months and months, even years - but we know in our heart of hearts that if we fight this, we end up paying for it.

Isn't that how so many of us got here in the first place? You must have seen the statistics for 'typical' sufferers - A - type personalities, high achievers, push-crash mentality...all very well but look where it has got us.

Maybe if you look at it another way - you say that you used to be able to do your job and even though you still love it, you can't do what you used to...if that goes on long enough, wouldn't that in itself become a torture, as well as a daily reminder of how things have changed and also how you need to focus on resting and trying to level out into a place where you may be able to start and recover?

The fact that you recognise that you can't do what you used to, is painful and sad, but it is also your body's way of telling you to slow down....

Is it really the only thing you like to do? I'll bet there are many more things if you let yourself think about them. It's just human nature that this job seems so precious when you are on the brink of having to make such a major decision.

I really feel for you and I hope that you don't suffer too much anguish over this choice.
    Let us know how you get on,
    hugs
    Mary x
  4. emttoni

emttoni New Member

I take it you are an EMT also.I LOVE being an EMT! I dont think there is anything else I have ever done that I enjoy so much! I wanted to go on and become a paramedic but with the brain fog as bad as it is am thinking it would be just a waste to do all that and then not be able to test because I cant remember anything. I have been dwindling down the amount of calls I go on over the last few months as it is just too hard. It always seems I get the calls on days I feel good and then we have a car wreck where I have to climb in a car thats overturned or we have to pick up someone from the ground and there are only two or three of us. Boy, do I pay later! At the moment it sounds like a good idea, but then again we arent going to let the patient just lay there either, so we do our job and then look out! Best wishes to you and gentle hugs ~ Toni
    [This Message was Edited on 05/08/2003]
  5. goldie

goldie New Member

I know how hard that is for you. I was a set home mom for 13 years. I have 5 children, After the youngest got in school I finally went back to work. I felt like I was more than wife and mother I felt like I was just me and it felt great. Then after working just for 4 years. I stared having problems. Make a long story short. I finally had to go back to just being a housewife and a mother with this DD. And I can't even do that like I used to. My heart goes out to you.
    Lots Of Love
    Goldie
  6. Red1967

Red1967 New Member

I really can't offer much advice, and the others have already given excellent suggestions. All I can do is offer sympathy. Knowing when to stop was really hard for me, and I still haven't come to terms with it. I've always been extremely physical, both in work, and leisure activities. for ten years in day care, I rarely sat down for more than a half hour total in a day, and usually worked 10 and 12 hour days. And I loved gardening. And I worked with horses, usually ones with problems that no one else wanted to mess with. I've given it all up now, except the gardening, which hubby does and I watch. After two years, I'm still having trouble coming to terms with it. I hope you can find some solution that allows you to continue enjoying your work!
  7. me-n-fred

me-n-fred New Member

I'm so sorry to hear you're having problems with your job. I just quit my job about a week and a half ago after being there for almost 10 months. It was really hard because I loved some of the people I worked with, although I wasn't very fond of my job in particular. So that did make it a little easier.

Anyway, I really struggled with the decision of whether or not to quit, but in the end it came down to me and my body and admiting to myself that I would continue to feel worse and worse if I didn't take care of myself.

So that's my advice--do what you need to do, follow your heart, but just make sure you take care of yourself. Jobs will come and go, but there's only one you. :)

Melea
  8. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I would suggest getting a doctor's excuse for a medical leave, and see if you can recoup first (b4) I quit the job