I CAN NO LONGER.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by froggyfog, Mar 23, 2007.

1. froggyfog

froggyfog New Member

I can no longer:

*stay out shopping more than a few hours

*wear high heels

*Work

*Wake up without pain/fatigue

*Hold my nephew(hurts my arms)

*Keep up with my kids

*Go to loud & wild places(concerts,light shows)

*Be active(workout with my friends)

*Go at a minutes notice(everything has to be planned around my pain/fatigue)

*Plan my life

*Go back to college

My list could go on and on but these are a few that I could think of at this moment.

FroggyFog
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2007]
  2. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

same here!!!!!!!!!!!! others do not understand.
  3. FibroPainSufferer

FibroPainSufferer New Member

I love shopping, but the last time I tried, I had to call it a day after 3 hours!!!

I love high heels, my closet is full of them, but I’m down to wearing the same 3 pairs of flats everyday!!!

Work...If I can last the full 8 hours, I now feel like I just completed a marathon, I’m proud of myself!!!

Haven’t held my 4 year old niece in a VERY long time!!! It even hurts when she runs up to me & throws her whole body at me. Playing with her is hard, she has so much energy & she’s stronger than me. It’s sad that a 4 year old is stronger than a 40 year old!

Going out...what’s that? :)

I can’t believe how much my life has changed in just the last year or so!!! I think constatly about what I or we could do to bring attention to our diseases??? I thought about one of those marches in Washington DC, but we’d never make it! We can’t walk!!!
  4. momof471

momof471 New Member

took my 12 year old daughter to JCPenny had to she's outgrown everything. Got a few outfits, walked a couple stores down to PayLess, got some shoes for the girls, this took 2 and a half hours, I feel like I got hit by a train and the soles of my feet are tender and on fire! I try not to think about all the things I cannot do, I look at it as my life taking a detour I hadn't planned on, but when it smacks you in the face like today, it makes it really hard to do that.

God Bless
  5. naturebaby

naturebaby New Member

Yup, I know what you mean. Your list is pretty much the same as mine would be.

In addition to not being able to work a regular job anymore (pain and fatigue are constant, flareups are unpredictable, and there's no way I could be away from home for 8 hours), I can no longer do these things that I love:

- camping or long nature walks
    - gardening (my husband is going to build me a couple of standing planter boxes this summer so I can at least grow tomatoes and herbs)
    - boating (too bumpy on the waves)
    - play flute (can't hold my arms up that long)
    - write anything, really (brain fog)
    - go to the pub (can't drink at all, too many meds)
    - go to a concert that will be loud. Blues festivals are completely out of the question.

And I can't do, or have tremendous difficulty doing, the things I NEED to do, like:

- vaccuuming
    - washing floors
    - cleaning tub/shower
    - more than one or two loads of laundry
    - clean windows
    - change bed linens
    - lift a turkey in or out of the oven
    - carry groceries

YUP. It sucks. nature
  6. ravenpaige

ravenpaige New Member

I know it sounds trivial, but does anyone's else "Can't" list include not being able to wear pierced earings? I stopped being able to wear these when I got sick because my ears would always get infected. This was after having pierced ears for something like 20 years.

Not a big thing, but I found it somewhat unusual. Haven't tried now in probably 6 years, but now (after doing a lot of work with supplements) my ear holes have seemed to clear up, so I'm thinking of trying again. Has anyone else experienced this?
  7. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

What I used to do
    The life I am missing
    the one I've lost.
    With every aching awakening
    I mourn what I used to do.

I cannot dance.
    I cannot play.
    I cannot shop the day away.
    I cannot clean or mow the lawn.

And yet I feel lady luck's hand on mine.
    For all I've lost and all I grieve,
    there are so many out there who have it worse than me.

For all our suffering,
    our cries for help,
    there is no cure, no reprieve.

Our illness silent,
    our pain unseen.

We're people too, we want to live,
    and do all the things we used to do.

Wanderingbluedragon
    Copyright ©2007

8. blkkat

blkkat New Member

With all my meds , and no one ever says so am i the only weird one ? I dont want, care about, and even if i do, well (I'M BROKE!!!!!) ))

If you get what I'm saying . in the bedroom-hint-hint WHY AND WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!!!!! nothing makes me (((((WORK)))))) GIRLS YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? anyone else? i've even talked to the DR but she really doesnt have any good answers for me. BLKKAT--- P.S ---THIS WAS HARD FOR ME TO SAY.
  9. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi, good post, sad but it helps to put it all down in black and white!
    I miss SIMPLE repetitive movements, like:
    ROCKING my grandbaby in the rocking chair
    rolling cookies/meatballs
    brushing/petting dogs
    clipping coupons
    tapping foot or hand to a good country/west song
    singing! (but i'll bet my family is glad jaw muscles are so weak, lol!)
    "plugging the shoreline" while fishing
    reeling in my own fish

could go on, and also have to "ditto" many above responses.

BLKCAT:: Try to switch your antidepressent over to wellbutrin, esp. if you are on prozac. Didn't realize how much i had missed this one til i got it back after the switch!

WANDERINGBLUE...--that is so beautiful, thanks so much for sharing it!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/24/2007]
  10. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I think we all visit it..some more than others!

This time of year..I miss doing things outside the most..planting.and digging in the dirt..I still do some..but I can only work like that for 5 to 15 minutes at a time.
    Yes..I miss going out in the world and being active in it.

But..all the things that I can't do, or take me much longer to do, well, that is a long long list!

What I try to focus on is what I CAN do. My life surely is different from what it was, and totally different from what I thought I would be doing at 53yo, but I do still have good things in my life, and that is what I try to focus on. If I don't do that, I would be very sad daily about where I am. But, when I focus on what I DO have and CAN do, it is just a more happy way to go thru what can often be pretty painful days!
  11. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

Susan, I agree 100% with you. I too cant do alot anymore either. My biggest thing is we plan to move back to the midwest as soon as we can. We always had a big garden, which we plan to have again after making the move. My husband and I spent so much time in our garden when we lived there before and we both love it and got so much joy and relaxation from it. Well, a couple days ago the weather was pleasant so I went outside and cut back some dead growth from last year on about 4 perennial plants. It took a total of 10 minutes and I was exhausted and hurting. My first thought was, how in the world will I ever be able to take care of a big garden again? The answer is I won't! I have to tell you, this realization is depressing but if I lingered on this it wouldn't do me any good at all. I will just move on and concentrate on the things I can do and maybe try to find something else that I can do that will bring the same relaxation and joy as a garden. I need to count my blessings and they are there but I will never see them if I keep thinking about what I have lost. Its hard to do this sometimes but I have found from past experience that I missed so many good moments because I was too wrapped up thinking and worrying about the negative things. Since realizing this, I try to make sure I don't miss those moments anymore.