I cannot believe I am gonna ask you guys this question!?!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stillafreemind, Jan 9, 2003.

1. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

Next month..I am going to turn the big 50. Soooooo..I was strongly thinking about coloring my hair. HELLO?!? It is gray..gray.

I was wondering if you guys color your hair..AND if there is anything that a person can use that is not real high on chemicals. Is there such a thing?

I think it would give me a big boost..even if I was not going to be hitting a milestone agewise. I would also like to do it for my hubby. He is so very good to me..I would like him to be proud of me.

Any comment welcomed...and thanks alot!
    .. Sherry
  2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

Hi Sherry,
    I think that is great that you want to do something for yorself. I am going to be only 32 in March and I am getting quite grey so I frost mine once a year. I like it and it always makes you feel better when your hair looks nice i think. I can't give you any tips on dyes because i don't dye mine. I think whatever you decide to do it will make you look GREAT and your Hubby will love it.
    Let us know what your going to do okay.
    Take care,
    Joannie
  3. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I'll bet many of us dye job our hair, girl. I'm 52, my hair is gray on top, eww. So I dye it with the temporary blonde stuff. It's less harsh, washes out in 24 shampoos. It'll still burn yer lil forehead if you get it on it tho. Deosn't bother my scalp. I still have hair down to my waist too because I cannot be bothered with curling or styling or any of that.
    It hurts my arms just combing it out! When I get too old to wear it this long it'll have to be a grandma bun. lol. N
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2003]
  4. judywhit

judywhit New Member

Happy b-day! Oh yes, you must color your hair it will give you a great boost! I love to color mine. I am a dark brown in color naturally peppered with grey and I now color a beautiful reddish mahogony. I get compliments on my hair color all the time. As for the chemicals there are natural hennas that are very beautiful that color well. Good luck and have fun with it..it washes out fairly soon if you are not happy with the color. Just between us I would NEVER allow myself to go totally grey at 50! My body feels old enough I dont need the hair to match.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I color my hair. It's mousy brown with lots of gray, so I go blonde. It goes well with my blue eyes and coloring. I use Nice 'n Easy. It works well and it's cheap, especially on sale.

I'm having plastic surgery to repair the ravages of these illnesses just as soon as I can take off another 15 pounds. I'll take every advantage I can get. I'm closing in fast on 60, so you're just a kid!

Love, Mikie
  6. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

My hair is brown with auburn highlights..and GRAY..Ha! If I wore a bra..my hair would be just a hair past it..so its fairly long. I think I would like to go to a beauty parlor and have them cut some feather bangs and maybe layer it around my face a bit. Since I do not do the beauty parlor thing..can someone tell me if they have the hennas and less chemical colors there? Besides..I am not too sure I my arms would make it through me coloring my own..and after all this..I wanna look good..<G>not like an experiment or something.

Thanks to you all..I will definitely let you know when I do it. My hubby is eight years younger than me.. and he is NOT graying like I did/am. ah.. vanity..ya gotta love it!!
  7. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Hi Sherry, Try to find a beauty shop that has the computers to "envision" how you would look with a certain color or new hair cut/style.A lot of shops have them now. They just use your picture and modify it to give you an idea of how you will look with different options. I know our JCPenney's salon has one. Also if you do a general search in your computer there are a lot of hair style sites to get some ideas from. I have colored my hair for years - sometimes myself & sometimes at the shop- depends on my checking account$ that month. I really like the color weaves that are done now for people with grey hair. Have fun! and Happy Birthday!!
  8. phenom

phenom New Member

happy birthday! i'm only 21 and have coloured my hair since i was allowed to! i have seen and used probably every variety of product available. natural henna colours and also hemp colours (don't inhale too much!) are available where i'm from (australia), so i'd assume you can get them way over there... have a look in natural beauty shops, in aus there is a company called red earth... i don't know if you have that too. hope that helps a bit, and good luck!

phenom
  9. hap

hap New Member

Sherry, color that hair, gal ! I've colored mine for years now and soooo love it. You are right about having a professional do it, though. You should! They can advise you on products and advise on the shade that will work for you. I've had my hair red and/or light auburn for years and red is hard to deal with on grey! So, definitely let the pro do it for you ! Having mine done again tomorrow and am looking forward to having a "cute day"..We always know when we're having that! I'm 56...50 was the greatest !

Hap
  10. sheri

sheri New Member

I was a cosmetologist until a couple of years ago, and taught cosmetology for years before having my own business.
    I decided that when I went out of business, I would just let my hair grow out to its natural state. Now, I am thinking about coloring it again. For the biggest reason , is that it simply lacks body and sheen without the color. Semi and permanent colors swell the hair shaft, so people like me with fine, limp hair benefit with the 'body' color gives. Another reason for not coloring, is that I do my own and suffered a broken wrist in July and have been ill with one thing or another for a long time. I can tell you this for sure. It will give you a lift to color your hair. I even feel a litte better when I cut mine. I bemoan the fact that I let my license expire and can no longer obtain professional color, as they do give better coverage for grey hair...I used to retouch my hair with a medium natural brown (1/2) with 1/2 medium ash, then, comb bleach through it for highlites.It was also beneficial to do it that way because I could go up to 3 or 4 months before doing it again!Personally, I may go to a friend who is a beautician for the professional and permanent color...I, like Mikie, when she said she was pushing 60, just passed that mark, at least if I remember Mikies post correctly, if I am wrong, forgive me Mikie...I would suggest you try a semi-or as they are now called sometimes, demi-permanent, less ammonia and these colors penetrate the cuticle, not into the cortex of the hair shaft, so usually wash out in around 6 or so shampoos, if you are worried about harshness, it would be a good way to begin. Hope you enjoy your new look, and when I can, hope I can get some color back on my new growth, which is really long by now, and lying flat on my head, no matter how much I spray, back-comb, etc...let us know the results..happy coloring!! blessings, sheri
  11. teach6

teach6 New Member

I'm 51 and always liked my natural dark brown color. I had only a few wisps of grey that I could always hide by the way I combed my hair. However I was so sick last year that my hair lost its natural sheen. It has always been fine and limp, but shiny. That's what did it for me. I didn't like the mousy look.

So I had my stylist highlight my hair last spring. First she lightened it a couple of shades and then she added highlights. I love it and always get compliments on it now. it does give you an added boost, which I think most of us can use, given the way we feel. So, I say go for it!

Barbara

12. LindaLoonyTunes

LindaLoonyTunes New Member

I used to be a highlighted blonde back in the day. . . now I dye my hair auburn. You could probably do your own or have a friend do it for you. The problem you will run into later on is a build up of color on the ends. That is why you must follow the touch up directions for your next dye job! I WILL NEVER GO GRAY! We were just talking about this yesterday (my 15 year old and I) guessing which of my lifelong friends would go grey first! LOL (I don't know we still haven't given up the miniskirts at 48 LOL)
  13. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I would go for one of the temporary colors so that if you don't like it, you can make it go away by having a few extra shampoos. Get something good like L'Oriell Castings. Clarol makes one too, but I have never been a great fan of Clarol. Go for a color just a shade or two lighter than your natural color. It won't color the dark colored natural hair, but will color the grey. By going lighter, it will look like you have highlights. Plus, darker hair makes us look older, and we sure don't need that!!! The beauty of this stuff is that you can suds it in like shampoo, put on a plastic cap to keep from dripping all over, jump (ok, crawl) in the tub and soak while your hair processes. No need to worry about getting tint on clothes or towels. When your timer goes off, back to the sink, rinse, shampoo, rinse and back in the tub for a final sudsing and rinse. I have a hand-held shampoo hose on the tub faucet & would die without it.
    Kathryn
  14. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

I too am pushing sixty, and come from a long line of non greying genes. I have a few very fine ones, even my sister-
    n-law asked me if I was ever going to get grey?

I get the "Sure you Don't color thing." One of my husbands old co-workers as much as called my husband a liar!!!Sure, and I want to look stupid......We Belong to a Baptist Church
    where my husband is a deacon. How do you think that makes me look?? I know, I should not be complaining, right?

I actually had one of the Christian School teachers come up and ask me if I colored my hair!I just said,"You think I should?" And, no, I don't wrinkle very much either. If it will make any one feel better, I am 260lbs, and 5'4". Right we all have our Crosses to bear.

Is this not too funny? 1maqt

15. Shirl

Shirl New Member

What would you recommend for fine hair, plus it is oily, for more body, besides dye, I use a rise type just for body and a little lift to my red hair. It has some grey, but not enough to bother me, the sheen for some reason is still there.

I have a serious problem with shampoos as they look great for a day or two, then my hair is flat on my head again.

My hair is waist length, and I won't cut it as it is easier that trying to do the beauty parlor thing, which gives me a headache from the odors anyway!

You mentioned highlighting with a 'comb'?? Just how do you do that? I know, this is a lot of questions!!

Would appreciate all the information you feel up to writing.

I have always washed it with a Castile liquid soap from the health food store, and rinse it with vinegar. I have been doing this for half a life time, and its not turning grey(no one in my family ever turned grey except the men), and it grows like grass in the summer. So those things are not a problem.

Thanks for your post, I printed it out so I can understand it better!

Shalom, Shirl
  16. jolly

jolly New Member

I'm 53 and have a few coming in on top but don't think I'll color them. The friend that cuts my hair is absolutely appalled at the idea and I can't even go by her shop without her freaking out. Plus, I've been growing my hair out which is even worse for her. For some reason it just feels right. I don't care if I go gray..or is it grey? I don't want to be one of those wrinkled face women with bright yellow hair which is how some turn out. I did color my hair when I was a teenager and gasp when I see the pictures. And the black eye makeup! Oh what a trip. But we did have fun, didn't we! Who knows? Only you. What ever you feel comfortable with. Jo Ellen
  17. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

It's funny you asked that question. I just had my hair color changed yesterday from medium brown to dark brown, which brings my eyes out much better. I use "beautiful browns, has no chemicals, and works very well. It's a small bottle and you can get it any Sally's or probably other hair product stores. Happy Birthday in advance. Reg
  18. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I use semi-permanent color---lasts about 30 washings. I don't do it myself, I go to a salon (I was born without the "beauty-parlor" gene; you know, the gene that makes most women good at hair-styling, manicures, make-up---I don't have it! It's like the "saran-wrap" gene; you either have the gene that allows you to get saran-wrap to cling, or you don't. I was born without that one, too....) ANYWAY, I use Redken "Shades", specifically; it conditions your hair beautifully, and is far less toxic than permanent color, yet lasts about 30 washings. You might want to try something like this for a start.

Good luck!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  19. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

after my knee surgery. I love it. I am 43 and am dirty blond naturally with gray peaking through. I usually did streaking so the gray just blended in-the strawberry blond was a big change--but I like it!

you go girl

cathy
  20. lmn

lmn New Member

Happy Birthday!!!

You deserve to look and feel your best. Go for the dye job.
    My roots need to be touched up once a month but I feel like a million bucks when I leave that salon!

See ya,
    lmn