I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

sO I have had the terrible rib chest pain for a couple of weeks. That went away more or lessin the night but was relaced by the worst head throat neck pain. DH is just down getting me Gatorade for low potassium. I've had a lot of diareah from being on the CIPRO.

Went to docs yesterday. They sent a trainee PA to examine me alone, then the PA came in and was smirking and they were more or less suggesting I was a hypochondriac, "due to thickness of my file". Even though they have all those tests back showing real illness. I was totally upset.

I don't even think it was legal. I agreed the student could sit in was all. I am getting a new propider for sure. I asked about my recent blood work, and they ignored me. Said, Your Lymes look OK as they walked away.

I have Tylenol and Asprin in the house. What is best for the huge big tension headache-took one asprin one tylenol four hours ago. Feel horrible. BUt that dang chest pain lifted except lower rib....

The doctor there is only ever there two days a week, leave it all to the PA. Is this legal?

Love Anne C going back to bed.....
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

It is just the worst feeling in the world to be belittled like that. That PA sounds a little full of themself.

Unfortunately, I think it is legal to have a PA or a Nurse Practitioner do most of the client interaction. I don't know about student though. I know with my first OBGYN I saw the doc twice during my whole preg - the NP saw me every time.

I wish I had advice for you on the chest pain but I really don't. The only chest pain I get is from anxiety. I know I do breathing exercises to help with that. Deep breathing into my gut not my chest.

Wish I could be more help, but wanted you to know I care and I believe you are sick.

Sofi
  3. Jgavi

Jgavi New Member

Your in New yorK?

Please go to their dept of health website and you can call or email and ask about this situation. Doesnt sound right to me.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/opmc/main.htm

jgavi
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Who died and made them god? It is not for them to judge you, it is for them to look at your medical file, see that you are on your second round of antibiotics for the same infection and to treat your condition with knowledge and compassion. Period.

I don't know about the legality....hopefully you have checked the web site....but I'm glad you are leaving this practice.

Hope you are feeling better today.

Hugs,
    Sue
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Anne:
    So sorry you had to have the P.A. Some are very good and others think they are God with a prescription pad.

If it was me, I would get to the doc. I have been known to even page them if I do not get a call back.

Hugs,
    NyroFan
  6. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I get the impression from my doctor that I am just a thorn in her side at times. Too needy, whatever. But, my life is what it is.

I am sorry you were treated this way. It is very hard to deal with - as we all know.

Take care,
    Leanne
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I will check that web site.

Here are some answers. No the trainee PA was totally alone with me, did the only exam. Was asking stuff like "Do you have burning on urination?" Huh, well I just had IC and infection. I asked twice, Is a doctor coming in? He went out and came back with the PA. She just sat there and said I was an enigma. Smirked and left.

The doc is only there maybe 12 hours a week.

I have no objection to good NPR's, but this was my visit to go through the recent heart test that had a problem, the recent IC that had a problem and the chronic chest rib pain and diareah.

No. No one tapped chest, listened to breathing. The trainee is on rotation as part of training. He id listen though three sweaters to my heart.

The LPN "took" BP over three sweaters, wrong place did not get pressure cuff tight and then said, "Great BP 130 over 80

(My Bp is normally 100 over 70)

I just chatted with my vet who knows this practice too and she confirmed the doctor is just not interested any more. He is a friend, and she said maybe I should tell him to work or quit, but she recommended a good woman doctor that combines integrative east and west she likes a lot.

The headpain just lifted-god bless the person who suggested doing gatorade for these. I mixed gatorade with Pedialite. So headache is much lifted to dull pain. DH brought in soup from deli that had leeks in so tummy a bit off witgh that, but OK except for diareah and bloat. This is easing some.

I look totally grey, but thankful the chest pain lifted at last.

I honestly think these pains migrate place to place. Uro called and said to use kopectate as the diareah has to stop now. I see him 8.30 tomorrow for cysto as he says it could be PID that is causing some of this.

Thanks again

Love Anne C going back to bed now (again)
  8. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

I have experienced doctor's visits where the doctor was not present at all, just the PA. And I have had, unlike yours, some fantastic evaluations and outcomes. At one point, this PA came onto staff fulltime and when making appointments, I would be asked whether I preferred to see the doctor or the PA.

Now, the MAJOR...and I do mean MAJOR difference here is that this PA was nothing short of incredible. Because of a lighter patient load, she actually SAT DOWN and reviewed my chart from beginning to end, making note of my meds and whatnot each time I went. And I was sad to see her go. She actually took a leave of absence due to her own problems with childcare and opted to stay at home until her babies got a bit older. So I respect her for that as well.

So the only similarity between her and the....*thing* you saw was the title, PA. Had I been treated as you were, I would most definitely be calling and filing a complaint regarding his remarks about your being a hypochondriac. That was as unprofessional as it gets. He had NO rights to judge you, period. So what if your file was thick? He had no way of knowing how long you had been a patient there, or how long it took you to get a correct diagnosis.

But anyway (please forgive my rambling, I am fuming here at his ignorance and arrogance) I would not let his attitude go unreported. As a matter of fact, I think I would go so far as to ask what, if anything, they plan to do about this situation. If they act wishy washy or you are dissatisfied with their reaction, then yes, as badly as we all hate to change docs once we have an established routine and we feel they know our history best, it is time to find another doctor. I am so sorry you were treated this way.

No one should be treated with such blatant disrespect, no one!
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

My old Doc in NJ, they had two docs and one NPR. The NPR was fanrastic, but one could always see the doc or she would always call in the doc if she saw a problem she wanted doc in on.

At this practice now, there is never a doctor anywhere on the premises. Just the PA and this trainee PA and an LPN.
    Except for part of the day two days a week, then doc comes in and sees a few patients always in a rush.

This particular PA is not really that interested either, she is totally overloaded, and misses a lot. She is not that bright, though she has quals, I wonder sometimes how she got them.

Also this is real "country" so most of the patients are pretty elderly country people and I think they just get used to being overly familiar with the patients.

I think she was totally out of line and also I felt totally uncomfortable wiht the young man trainee examining me alone.

Well, I needed a push to change docs. I feel badly as this man was my doc for many years in between moving, and a friend.

I am signing back with Guthrie as they have connections with good hospitals too. Our local hospitals are not that great. Plus they are like five minutes from my house. They also beleive in FM which is the biggie.

Love Anne C
  10. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I think you are making the right decision. I have a low tolerance for doctor's offices treating me like I am sub-human.

I would write the doctor a letter explaining my dissatisfaction at the whole situation when I asked for my medical records!

Love and hugs,

Deena
  11. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

Do they not realize that if we were not sick they wouldn't have a job? I got so frustrated with being treated like a hypochondriac drug addict!!!! Eventually I am going to start looking for the right Dr again but I haven't seen a Dr in over a year. I would rather suffer than deal with them.
    I am sorry you had to go through this. Unfortunately there are more RNs and NPs treating patients than Drs. My dad's Dr said that he actually didn't know my dad was in such bad shape after he died. He saw NPs and RNs at the office and only saw his Dr on very rare occasions. The Drs do not follow up on any of it unless it is a narcotic prescription and then the Dr has to approve it. It stinks if you ask me because your insurance is charged as if you are seeing a real DR. Not right, just not right!!!!!
  12. erfula1

erfula1 New Member

I actually had a Dr put it in my file that my husband threatened him and he thought about calling the police!!!! It is in my file!!!! They can put whatever they want about you in there and it isn't right. My husband asked him if he hunted and he asked him why and he said it was open season. This was after he told me that I had reached maximum medical improvement and he couldn't do anything for me. This was right before I was diagnosed with FM. I had a back injury and my whole body was hurting and he was the first one to treat me like I was faking it or looking for drugs or something. I even told the man I didn't want pain killers I just wanted to stop hurting. He was horrible. Just ask to see your file before you leave so they know that you'll know what's in it. Ask for a copy too. Some offices charge you but it's worth it to know what is following you wherever you go.