I cannot get Health Insurance...COBRA Is killing me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Mar 13, 2007.

  1. Manwithfibro

    Manwithfibro New Member

    As many of you know, I was fired from my job last year despite killing myself daily for them. I have applied for my own health insurance but get denied due to FM. What in the World am I going to do? I am too rich supposedly for Medicaid.
    I want to try to make it on my own self employed wise because this illness is too unpredictable.

    Please help!!!!
  2. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    Are you currently on Cobra? If so, you need to ask the administrator about transitioning to the health plan through HIPPA. It is guaranteed issue. That is what I did.

    If you are self employed now, if you have one other person who helps you, you can get a group plan. I have someone working on that for me now. I was doing my health separate as well as one employee. I was told if I convereted it to a group plan the savings woud be $400. a months.
  3. Manwithfibro

    Manwithfibro New Member

    They treat this FM like it is cancer.

    I have not heard of Unemployment Health Insurance??????

    I did collect Unemployment for awhile...

  4. rockyjs

    rockyjs Member

    When my husband was laid off and we lost insurance we were unable to afford COBRA. We did qualify for a state health program that you register for through local hospitals. They look at recent pay stubs, monthly expenses, etc and if you qualify you're elegible for one year.

    My husband eventually got VA coverage and I received Medicare after getting SSD, but that program really helped fill a gap. You can call a local hospital and ask for financial services to see if they have a similar program.


    PS - just noticed that you're in Colorado. The state program is called CICP and you can get qualified through Boulder Community Hospital. Call and ask about their income and asset limits for your family size - they're much higher than Medicaid or SSI. To get an appointment you need to have an unpaid bill with either the hospital or a participating clinic. [This Message was Edited on 03/14/2007]

[ advertisement ]