I can't beleive all the drugs my Dr. gave me today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sunnywey, May 2, 2006.

1. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

I jammed my sacrum, and my hips are killing me + it has caused my whole body to stiffen up, and my fibro has really flared up.
    I couldn't get dressed + stayed in my housecoat all last weekend, and took my heating pad to the office with me yesterday. I love my work!

Today I went to my family Dr. + told him that my flexeril had expired + I couldn't deal with all this pain any more. My Tylenol #3 with codeine has no affect on me. I find Ibruprophen works better.

My poor husband is doing everything, as usual. He looks a bit sad + worried about me.
    I'm waiting to get in to see my physio-therapist, who always manages to fix me.( temporarily)

So - my Dr. actually told me that I need to take more medication, and to take it before I get so tight that nothing helps me.
    He re-newed my Cycloprine ( Flexeril) and Amitriptyline, and Zopiclone, and gave me
    OXYCOCET -Oxycodone/acetaminophen that he said to take 4 times a day.(I've never tried that before) Lord! If I took all this stuff - I'd never get out of bed!

So - I took 1/2 a 10mg Cycloprine at dinner.
    I only take 1/4 of the Zopiclone to get me to sleep. That stuff is the greatest. No hang-over or side affects.
    When I am really stiff I only need 1/4 of the Amitriptyline at bed-time to knock me out. Any more I feel like a zombie the next day.

Anyway - I feel lucky to have a supportive hubby + Dr. who cares about me. He said that he just doesn't know what will work best on a person, cuz everyone is different, and that he is just as frustrated not having a magic pill for his patients, but is willing to do whatever will help me.

He + my physio-therapist both suggested Pilates when my sacrum gets better???
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I do pilates, it is wonderful, it does help in many ways. But I also believe for us it is only ONE tool to use.

Stretching over one of those big physioballs would be good for you NOW. Just drape your body over the thing in diffrent positions and hang out in different positions for the minimum of a minute each (unless you get lightheaded or dizzy). There are exercises to do on the ball also, but for now "hanging out" might be best.

Yoga is excellent as long as you keep in mind the posture you see the yogis are in is NOT your goal. You start then when you meet tension, stop, relax and breathe, just stay there.

Water.....water is wonderful....I believe number one but it is not always easy to get to a pool. I go right after work to unkink, untighten, unstiffen my body.

Are you already doing some body work and that is why the doctor said "when your sacrum gets better."

Hope you feel better soon.

Fondly June
  3. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Hi Sunny -

I take yoga classes 3x/week. It really helps you to stretch out and loosen up and you can go at your own pace. I have made progress already.

My hips are also the worst right now - the sacroiliac joints.
    I just saw my internist last week and got a prescription for 500mg Naproxen (Naprosyn). I have to take Prilosec OTC twice a day to protect my stomach, but being on the Naproxen continuously has made a huge reduction in my pain level already - going from an average day of 7/10 down to 2 or 3/10.

I also use Flexeral (cyclobenzaprine)at bedtime and in the morning if I am really, really stiff.

Your partial pills will definitely save you some money, that's for sure.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  4. sunnywey

sunnywey New Member

I did a lot of walking before I wrecked my back, and also went to "Curves", which is good for me.
    I broke 7 ribs in a car accident a few yr. ago and can't do yoga now. It hyper extends me, and pulls everything out of place on me.
    My kids were in competitive swimming. One for 14 years, but mom here, doesn't like to get wet. HA!
    Yes- one of those balls probably would be a good idea. They think I should have a couple of private pilates lessons to learn how to adapt group sessions to work for me.

I should add that my Dr. doesn't give out meds easily - that's why I am shocked at all the drugs he gave me. Once he gave me 2 sleeping pills, and wouldn't give any more, but since I was diagnosed with Fibro -he really changed, and is open minded + willing to do anything he can. He even suggested me try accupuncture - something a lot of Dr. might not recommend.We have to try everything we can to see what helps.
    I have to get going to the office- I always say that it helps to sleep with the boss - to be able to cruise into work around noon every day. HA! ( my hubby)
    Hope you all have a good day!