I can't do this anymore...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by medic2006, Jan 28, 2006.

1. medic2006

medic2006 New Member

This latest bout is killing me. I'm new here, found these boards out of sheer desperation.

I'm the stoic type, I try not to complain and carry on with my life, but for the past 10 days, I've been having a BRUTAL attack. Every fiber in my body BURNS so badly. There is no relief. My joints ache intensely, my brain doesn't work, my eyes can't focus, every last nerve ending is humming with pain. Nobody understands, I feel so alone. I can't cope.

Not sure what I'm asking for. I guess just to know that SOMEBODY out there knows what I'm going through...

2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

YOU ARE IN SUCH PAIN. Many people here will tell you what meds are helping them. Others use other resources and I am sure they will be as helpful. The pain really gets to us all and the flares can just be the last straw I know. Try and bear with it, you will get replies pouring in. Many of us take Epsom Salt hot baths with a lot of the salts in there and this seems to ease the burning a lot. Have you been tested for other Dx? What are you taking right now for the pain?

Bigs Hugz to you, watch for all the help coming via this posting.
    Love Anne
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Ihave been through that back splitting pain,when all you want to do is curl up and hide your head in your pillow.You've found the right place.The people here are incredibly nice with some great info.Welcome again.Linda
  4. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

Hi medic,

Welcome! I am so sorry that you are in such severe pain. I've been there. Many of us here found these boards out of sheer desperation as well. There is so much knowledge here to help you to feel better.

Just take in a tiny bit as a time, as much as you are able to. You'll find one little thing and try it, and it will work; so you'll try something else. Every time I drop by, it seems like I learn something new.

I've heard people talk about Epsom salt/peroxide baths when they are in severe pain, but I'm not positive of the formula. This could be something that you'd like to use right now; so maybe someone will post the formula for you.

You're right; it does seem as though no one understands how you're feeling, and it is the most lonely experience on earth. I think that as you read the board, you will find more and more things to help you feel better, and you will begin to have more days where you will actually feel better.

All my best wishes,
    Bebe
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

You certainly have found people who can understand. We have all been there. Just when you think you can't take it, you find some more inner strength. There is help and I hope you have found a good Doctor who will support you. Do you have some meds that will help at least?

If you can, take some time and read posts here. You will learn a lot and find that we are a community of caring souls just like you.

Take Care
    Kathy.
  6. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

i am so sorry about all of your pain. But welcome to a group of friendss who are always ready, not to help you physically, but to help you bear that pain. we have all beenn through it.

Do you have any family to help you? I know, they are not always the ones to support you or neither are friends. My family feels worse when my hubby has a cold that when I am in extreme pain My friends just ingnore me.

But these friends are always here --- they are all here to lean on or to cry on their shoulders. Come on the board to just talk whenever you feel at your worse. They will answeer with an encouraging answer.

gentle Hugs
  7. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

You have found a good place to be, but, I think that you need to lie down and rest+++++ for a few days, if not weeks. Are you working? Probably. My heart goes out to you. I am a nurse and had to give up working completely almost a year ago. I have CFIDS, and am only able to take care of myself. My life has changed completely. Enough of that: REST, REST, REST. And, when you can write again, there is a lot of support and information on this board. Talk to you again. Love, Marie
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

First of all, welcome to our board/support group. I'm so glad that you found us, and hope you stay!

We all get in severe flares and are desperate, too.

I looked to your bio to learn a little more about your before I replied, but you had not completed it yet. When you get a chance and feel better, you may want to do that so we can get to know you a little better.

Since I don't know what meds you are already on, I'll tell you that in addition to whatever you are already taking for pain, you can rotate it with 600 mg of ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) safely. For example, take your normal pain med at its scheduled time, then 2 hrs later, take some ibuprofen. Hopefully, the additional pain reliever--of a different type--will help your pain.

I've tried extremely hot showers to cool water showers. I have often used ice packs or pkgs of frozen veggies such as peas, and put at the base of my neck and between my shoulder blades to "numb" the pain. It helps.

A heating pad is my best friend! It always goes on my low back.

Rest a lot, but make sure you get up at least once every 30 min. to walk around in the house so you don't get too stiff.

After trial and error, what helps me best is:

Cymbalta
    Neurotin
    Voltaren - a NSAID for arthritis joint pain
    Zanaflex - at bedtime
    CPAP machine & oxygen - for sleep apnea at night

I know it's hard for your family to understand--maybe in time they will. If they are willing to listen, you just need to do a lot of explaining to them and provide them with reading materials. However, we all have family who do not really care to understand, unfortunately, because they already have their minds made up that nothing is wrong with us because we "look" healthy.

It does make you feel alone -- that's why WE'RE here for you!!! We understand ..... and, we care.

Hope some of this info has helped.

(((Hugs,)))
    Janet

P.S. I have had fibro and lupus since I was 10 years old, and next week I will be 55! and ... I worked 30 years with it but was forced to take early retirement in 1999 because it and my other health problems were affecting me to the point that I just could no longer hold on without major consequences (such as a heart attack, in my case).
    [This Message was Edited on 01/28/2006]
  9. deb06

deb06 New Member

I have just gotten disability benefits which I have been fighting for for 4 years. Should be extremely happy constantly right? I have good meds for everything. They only do so much. I am just off of a 10 day flare that had me bedridden much of the time- my meds did not touch the pain and the sick feeling- and I have been so depressed that I cannot even handle it.

Then- just as it comes- it leaves and I am better today- just like I always get over it- though I doubt I will ever feel better when I am that bad.

It is impossible to be happy when you are that sick- but it does always end. No matter what it does SUCK to feel that awful for day after day after day.

WE DO UNDERSTAND HERE THOUGH- so someone does....

Love ,
    Deb
  10. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I found this place as I was looking to see if there was anyone like me out there. I wanted to know if any one felt like they were constantly sleepy, exhausted, back pain, aches all over, Head Aches, legs aches just to name a few and then fibromyaligia known here as Fibro. Yes I have that too. I hate that monster but becuase of it I found this place of complete acceptace, where no one has ever told me Oh you don't really feel like that! OR one of my faves, you just need to lose some wieght and ALL your pain will go away. LOL .

Here I am a real person who lives each day in pain , but I can always feel like there is someone who is my friend. I come here because of that. I have found some of the greatest people that belive in me. But most of all they care about me. I have been offered so much advise on how to ease pain and most of it works. I really like the bath with the epsom salts & hydrogen perxiode it really works and relaxes you.

I have family who really do not want to belive that what I have is real. And since I am on narcotic pain meds to the family including my hubby I am addicted to my pain meds. I love my family and I have and am learning not to say that I hurt or that I am going to take a pill. I will tell them I am just tired and didn't sleep as good as I could have. They are not always happy about that answer but I don't need to hear them gripe about things they won't accept or understand.

Any way your always welcome here and someone is always here to read your post and answer it. YOU are real and I understand the pain you go threw as to everyone that is here . WE all will listen to you and offer any support that we can.

so find a heating pad and a warm blanket and your favorite pillow and lay down and just melt in to the bed and relax don't think of any thing just let it all go. It is hard to do but it does work for me, if I am nice and warm I will relax better and if I stay warm I feel more andmore relaxed and the pain will ease so that I can cope with it.
    So I am sending you gentle warm hugs and my friendship too.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{warm soft hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    your friend,
    Rosemarie
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Yes, we understand what you are going through, we all go through it too. It is very hard but having some support, helps make it bearable. Do you have a heated mattress pad? If not I would suggest you get one. They help alot for pain. On my really bad days I just crawl in my warm bed
    and its very soothing.

Are you taking anything for pain? I take ultacet and cymbalta for pain. They are many things to try and get things better. We are here for you and I hope you get some relief soon.

Sandy
  12. jfrustrated

jfrustrated New Member

Welcome to the board: I hope you get lots of help here.

In my opinion, it's time you stopped being stoic and trying to carry on and not complain. Let it go, girl: Yell to the ceiling - it can feel soooooo good. I'm serious about this. Scream therapy is great. I sometimes throw something - but I make sure it is unbreakable and is aimed at something that cannot be broken. Great psychological release.

Yes - lots of people don't understand.
    Yes - often it feels like there is no relief.
    Yes - all the parts of your body seem to stop working.
    Yes - you feel alone.

Welcome to the place where lots of other people feel the same: so, although you may feel alone, you are not - at least here.

I do not know what meds. you are on, but have you considered these two.

1. Have you tried magesium supplementation for the pain and other symptoms. It can really help. Some people of the board have had magnesium drips, but perhaps you could start with magesium cream or even good quality tablets ???? It can really help and is simple.

2. Also, if your BP is not too high, try 1/2 teaspoon of celtic sea salt in a glass of water every day. It has lots of minerals in it and really helps my pain levels. You will know if you need it, because when you mix it in the water and drink it, it tastes almost sweet, hardly salty at all.

Good luck. And remember, it is your turn now, so put yourself and your health first.
  13. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I am looking forward to reading your bio when you feel well enough to share it with us. Soon, an hour or two..then a day will come when you will feel better. I am pulling for you..Hang on...the pain will eb away and a bit of relief will come.
    Jana
  14. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I sure hope Medic2006 comes back to respond to all the wonderful members who answered....

We sure have a great group here!!! I remember when I first came here two years ago, I will never forget how it helped me.
  15. sdown

sdown New Member

My doc has me on SAMe. Helps with pain, detoxes liver and calms down the nervous system. Its available thru ProHealth. Other brands Ive tried to save money aren't as potent. Its available on this site. I take 800 mg a day. Im praying for you. I know its an awful thing to go thru. Your not alone and Im sending you a big hug.
  16. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I hope you are feeling a little better today. Your in my thoughts and prayers and I hope this bad period passes for you. When you feel up to it, please let us know how you are doing. We care and understand how hard it is.

Soft Hugs....Sandyz
  17. medic2006

medic2006 New Member

Oh, my God, YOU GUYS!!!! I have tears in my eyes, and not from the pain! Your support is overwhelming, heart-warming, soul-soothing. Thank you, so very very much.

I will post my bio soon, I hope, but I just wanted to say how astonished and oncredibly touched I am by your thoughtful replies, your UNDERSTANDING, your support. It makes such a huge difference to know I'm not alone, that you all understand, that you all "get it."

Today is bad, still bad, but maybe a teensy bit less bad? I was up half the night, was doped out of my mind with my pain meds (Percocet), and still, the pain was out of this world.

Will head back to bed now with a warm heart from all of your sweet messages.
    THANK YOU!

~Medic
  18. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    I think it is good you come out and talk about how you feel.Hard to hold this kind of thing in.I wish I could help you in some way.Do you have anyone around to come visit with you?It helps me to talk to others and hear about what they are up to.Anything to get my mind off of my aching body.Just keep posting here,we will support you through this.I'll pray for you.
    Sheila
  19. code34me

code34me New Member

Medic I have worked on an ambulance for many years. I dont now I stay at home with my children. And I dodnt feel like I can take this pain anymore either!!!!! You are not alone you will see from this web site. I too stumbled across it one day out of sheer desperation! Just wondered if we had the EMS thing in common??? One day at a time for me, your FM freind Codey (Carol)
  20. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

We're glad you're here, although I'm so sorry it's under sad circumstances! :(

I didn't see your post until today (Monday) so I hope today is a better day for you. I am having one of "those" days today myself, although not to the same extent fortunately. I'm just so darn sick of aching. I'm sick of no one understanding. I'm sick of whining. (Yes I admit it, I'm a whiner!) I'm just sick of myself today. Wahhhh.

Anyway, as you can tell there are lots and lots of caring, compassionate people here. People who can RELATE and can offer good advice. You've found a good place. So WELCOME!!

((((HUGS!))))

Blessings to you,
    Kat