I can't help my girl, my Angel

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by silky17, Sep 9, 2005.

1. silky17

silky17 New Member

I am so sad , my dog of eleven years is in pain and I can't help her. I think it is so wrong when we can't even get help for our closest friends.

My dog is sick from something and I have no money to take her in to the vet. She has been walking around with a little limp and I can't even touch her at times. She snaps at me and shows her teeth. While I was sitting here reading some of the posts she winced in pain. She was sleeping at the time.

I tried to call around and see if someone would see her and they said "we don't take payments" I could barely keep from crying. It just doesn't seem fair to ignore our pets just because we can't pay. I don't know what I will do if she passes because I couldn't give her help. I put my last beloved pet to sleep about 17 yrs ago. It was sooooooo hard.

If anyone out there is a vet or has worked in an office for pets maybe, you can help me with some questions. Here goes.

She has been going outside alot and I assumed she was trying to eat bugs or play with them. Shes one heck of a hunter. She leaps in the air for them. I saw her once playing with a wasp. I got her away form it and thought all was ok. But now I am wondering if she got bit with one. She has snapped at me when I have tried to move or pet her. ( not like Angel). She yelps once in awhile too. Tonight she yelped in her sleep.

If it is kidney stones, is there anything I can give her to ease the pain or make her pass it? What if I gave her cranberry juice. It helps us at times.I also heard that I can give her baby aspirin for pain. Is this true? I am not sure if she might be constipated either. I just don't know what I should do.

I also have a hard time getting her to eat her own food. I eventualy give her some of mine to get her to eat. I know I am not suppose to give her human food. :(''

Any help please, sorry this is so long

Silky
  2. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Its so hard for any of us to see our beloved pets hurting.At times I wish mine could talk.We have 5 mini schnauzers .
    My Amy who is 15 yrs old would not let us touch her even in her sleep.We could not pick her up to put her in bed with us. Amy could no longer jump up.

Took her to the vets and she was tested for Lyme .Amy had Lyme disease.Vet put her on medication and it helped get rid of her pain.

Do you have a veterinary school near buy?If your not sure call your local animal rescue league.They would probably help you for free or very little cost.

Good luck.Hope you find help for her.

Hugs Sue
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

I would be hesitant about even giving Aspirin. My one Shar Pei just needed some surgery last week. We did the Pre-Screening as she is an older dog, about 8 years. Shar Pei live about 8-11 years. She showed some high Kidney values. This suggests possible early Kidney disease, of that she had gotton ahold of a toxic treat, such as a mushroom, frog, inhaled pesticides, etc. This influenced the type of Anesthesia he chose and and type of pain med he Prescribed. He commented he didn't want to give her any NSAIDS. I believe Aspirin is a NSAID.

I know how hard it is to afford Veterinary care for our pets. Mine cost me $800 last month, and we took out a loan.

I am wondering if in her playful pursuit of flying insects, she caused a slipped disk or fracture or tore a ligament. I had a friend whose dog had a back injury and became unable to climb on furniture, go up steps, and DIDNOT want to be touched. After xrays and exam, she was given Steroids and she gradually recovered.

I'm sorry I can't help you and your Angel, but you mentioned the possibility of Kidney stones, and NSAIDS may dangerous, I really don't know.

Best to you both,
  4. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

You didn't say what kind of dog Angel is. She sounds just like our Sasha. She did the very same things that Angel is doing. We took her to the vet and she had what is considered her knee cap out of place. They gave her pain meds and she was supposed to rest for 3 days.

The pain meds helped her to sleep which in turn helped her to rest. She is just great now!!!

The initial cost of finding out what was wrong with her wasn't all that much and in her case she didn't have to have surgery. I know it was under a 100.00. That was a lot less than surgery.

Hopefully there is a vet that would help you set up payments.

I will add that they said that this condition usually happens to smaller dogs. Our Sasha is a mini Schnauzer.

I wish you the best. I hope you can get Angel some help.

Jodi

PS We have a friend that is a vet and he has told us that we can give our dogs a little liquid tylenol. Just put a little on your fingertip and let your dog lick it off. We use children's tylenol.

If you do not feel good about doing this I will understand, but we have done it for our dogs and they are just fine.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/10/2005]
  5. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I can see how upset you are. It isn't fair that most vets are in it for the money. Sometimes ppl get lucky and can find a good one.

If Angel has a regular vet - that could be a good place to start. Sometimes if your heart is breaking and they can see how much you love your pet they'll do what they can at reduced cost and payments. I've seen it happen a couple times. It's not real common.

Obviously, she's in a lot of pain. If a dog is well trained the will go outside instead of making a mess in the house (from either end). You need to go out with her (if you can) and see if she's throwing up, is or isn't constipated, it could be diarhea.

If she is snapping and you might want to put a muzzle on her. If you don't have on a scarf, ace bandage, use your imagination, etc will do. See if you can find out if she has pain along her spine, ribcage, abdomen, legs, neck, etc. If won't help you if you get bitten in the process.

When animals are not feeling well they usually won't eat. Giving her human food instead of what she's used to is only going to make her sick to her stomach. Nature gave them wonderful insincts (better than ours) about when not to eat.

Yes, you can give dogs asperin for pain. I have no idea what dosage - that's based on weight. As long as she is not a 'toy' a baby asperin or an adult cut in half should be ok. My dog weighs 22 pound and he takes baby asperin. We had a 50 pounder and he would get a whole one. I realize this is a really rough guideline but I'm just telling you what I give my pets.

You can also give dogs (I do not know about cats here!) Benedryl. My vet told me to give my 22 pounder a 25mg capsule of Benedryl. I do not know any dosages for larget dogs. Pooky was re-acting to a shot and bouncing off the walls. Within an hour he was resting peacefully.

You have to be able to take a good look at Angels leg! She could have a sand burr or nail stuck in her pad, she could've been stepped on and her toes are broken. Without being able to get in there and take a good look at the dog - all we can do is guess. It could all be from her leg - it could be something abdominal - you have to find a way to check her. It's easier with 2 people so that one can hold her down.

Let us know,

michele
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

sending healing thoughts to Angel...

Some good advice has been posted here. If you can muzzle
    Angel and have someone help you check her, it will give you an idea of what is going on with her. Also, I like the idea of calling a vet school if there is one nearby, or the local Humane Society. They may have referrals for lower cost vet care.

Aspirin is ok for dogs, but use BUFFERED aspirin. Most drug stores will have their generic brands that are less expensive. Try to give it with food, even wrapped in a bit of bread, to buffer it a bit more.

I believe it IS ok to give dogs 'human' food, as long as it is good quality such as scrambled eggs, whole grain cereals such as oatmeal, whole grain breads, and fruits and vegies. My dogs each get an organically grown carrot every morning, and they love it! It's so good for them. Sometimes they get half an apple instead. When we had an apple tree in the back yard they used to pull the apples off and eat them!

Please keep posting, let us know how Angel is doing and what you find out, ok?

Peace and Light,
    Beth.
  7. orachel

orachel New Member

So sorry to hear your doggie is hurting. I've had a few dogs who have suffered with arthritis as they've aged, and vets have all suggested baby asprin. It seems to work great, and is very cheap! My godmother had a beloved terrier who had a terrible condition...some sort of large inoperable tumor. Again, vet recommended trying to keep her as comfy as possible by giving her baby asprin in piece of cheese. It's worth a try, at least, to try to give your dog some comfort. Also, how about SPCA? I adopted my cat there, and they clearly have vets on premises because they fixed my Beatrix and gave her a microchip and a tattoo for ID. I'd bundle your girl up, take her into a local SPCA and appeal to one of the vets to take a look at her. Worst they can say is no, right?
  8. badluck

badluck New Member

If you tell me what state you are in, I can do a more specific search, but your best bet is to contact the SPCA in your area and see what they can tell you. Another good place to try is http://www.hsus.org/home.html this is for the US Humane society. They arrange vet care/neutering/spaying for low income families and are doing a lot of rescues with the Katrina relief efforts. They should have a list of resources in your state/area. I'll be praying for you and Angel.
  9. silky17

silky17 New Member

I live in Phx, Az. Thanks for the info . I will use it.

Silky
  10. silky17

silky17 New Member

Well you gave me to more things to think about. Both could be whats troubling her. She does jump alot and I also have had mushrooms growing in the yard. Funny how we never think those could hurt our animals.

Thanks again,
    silky
  11. silky17

silky17 New Member

Hi,

sorry I forget to say what Angel is. She is part Terrier and chihuahua. Such a loving animal.

Thanks for the insight. It might be something like that too.

silky
  12. silky17

silky17 New Member

Well I will be getting some baby aspirin. I knew you all would help me. Angel thanks you too.

I will try looking at her again. I think I need some younger eyes to look.

thanks ,
    silky