I can't sleep in my bed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by efaye, Mar 31, 2008.

1. efaye

efaye New Member

can anybody identify with this? This has occured over a period of years but has gotten so bad I can only spend a couple hrs. a night in my bed.Some nights I don't even try. My bed is a Simmons and is a nice bed but not for me. I looked at another bed which is a Jamison some type of new foam bed and it really felt good. But there's no guarantee I'll be able to sleep on it. What should I do ? I'm desperate for rest,I have been in the worst flare for months now and I'm sooooo sore all over and my Interstial cystitis and irritable bowel are flaring too. Does anyone else seem to have flare ups of everything at once or is it just my crazy body? I feel like just crying. Please give me feedback I really need it. sweet thoughts to all efaye forgot to tell ya'll a well known Chiropractor in town bought a set of this foam bedding and has sent 5 of his patients over to buy it.I checked this out and the story was legit.
  2. elavaney

elavaney New Member

I usually go to sleep on the couch to start off with as I can fall asleep there but lay in bed for hours on end unable to sleep. Don't like it as the couch hurts my back, but sleep is sleep.
  3. poets

poets Member

I can't sleep in my bed either. It's a Serta "Perfect Sleeper" mattress and I'd like to shoot those darned sheep. It's been uncomfortable ever since we got it. And yes, when I flare, I FLARE! I tell you....I could cry right along with you. I used to have a waterbed and loved it. Until I had back surgery and then it started hurting my back for lack of support. Now I wish I'd gone ahead and gotten a semi-waveless. I think the best things we can do is scout around and ask our fellow fibromites a lot of questions on what gives them the most comfort. Everyone's different, but a little advice sure can't hurt. I'm up every night until at least 7 A.M. in the morning. Good luck and hugs to all of you who just CAN'T sleep!

4. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Yes, I can relate...probably why I'm still awake...I have a memory foam topper (3 in) on top of my bed but it's not the same...my parents have the memory foam bed and they like it, but she wouldn't buy it again she said.
    I bought a Cuddle Ewe topper about 8 years ago and put it on top of my bed and it was an AMAZING difference...I haven't had it for over a year do to an accident that ruined it (set it outside to air out and left it in the rain). I think about it often. It was like a cloud. It wasnt't a cure, but they're really wonderful.
    I just did some searching on this site store to see about the cost of replacing it since it's cheaper than a new quality bed at this point.
    Check it out on the store tab at the top. I also have IC, and that's a nightmare in itself. I feel for you!
    Hope this may help you.
    Good Night!
  5. sheriw

sheriw New Member

I've slept in a recliner for at least 5 yrs. Sleeps good but I would so like to be able to lay on my side every now and then.

6. thenewme

thenewme New Member

Hi, I read this board alot but do not write to often, I also go to the wb med, board fibro support, there is a gentelmen his name is jim, there are not many males so it will be easy to find him, I am not sure what bed he has, but he did get a new one, He may even have had to special order it, but he loves it. He is a very sweet man who has been trhough so much. You should ask him about the bed. hugs Barbara
  7. msSusan

msSusan Member

I have a Sleep Number bed(w/ added memory foam topper)which was comfortable until my neck issues (herniated disk) started acting up.

As soon as my meds wear off (or don't help me fall asleep) I move to my zero-gravity camp chair. I can't usually fall back to sleep but at least I can rest in a reclined position. (I am fairly short so the leg portion of the chair digs into my calves a little- haven't been able to find a shorter length zero-gravity lounger)

I am unable to sleep on my back or right side so my left side gets pretty achy most nights even with the topper!
  8. twitch_64

twitch_64 New Member

Is a memory foam type bed. I believe last I saw a commercial for them, they had a very long trial period before you decided to buy...

I've read where some like the memory foam and some like the air beds. Some complain the foam gets too hot. Personally, I'm always cold so that was never an issue for me, and I've not seen how its hotter. I guess its just up to the individual.

I had a 4" memory foam topper and just loved it but the ex got it in the divorce...I found a 2" one at walmart, at the time it was the thickest they had, but now I see they have different thicknesses and even a mattress now I believe. The 2" one just isn't quite enough, but better than nothing.

9. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

check out my post on the 2nd page of this forum (from Frannie17) because I just asked a similar question and got a lot of good advice about what people liked, didn't like to sleep on. I think I titled it "What does everybody sleep on".

Most nights I switch from bed, to recliner, bed, to recliner, and on and on thru the night, sometimes the couch gets in the mix. I too am searching for something comfortable. I'm thinking about trying to scout out a waterbed again, searching on either Ebay or Google and see if they're still out there.

We just got a new La-Z-Boy recliner (the style was called a Harvey, I think) with lots of poufy padding, what I'd call a soft top yet with support. I love the thing already - I can grab at least a couple of hours of sleep in it which is wonderful for me, I can't usually sleep that long and I'd call anything that gives me two hours of sleep a success. It reclines so far back that you can sleep "almost" horizontal (I put a small pillow in my lower back). But for right now, it's working for me, but I'd still like to have something for my bed that's just as comfortable. I don't think La-Z-Boy makes matresses :( or I'd go there today and buy one.

It seems like fibromites are on a constant search for something comfortable to sleep on. I wish you good luck in your search.

10. BonnieR

BonnieR New Member

Sometimes I have to sit up in my bed to be able to turn from one side to the other. I used to love to sleep on my stomach but if I do, when I wake up my back is so stiff, it feels that it is going to break. Anyway, I would just love to be able to go to bed and sleep, then get up the next morning feeling refreshed. It has been so long. It is getting so, I don't even like to look at the bed.
    Does that make sense to anyone.

Have a blessed day.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/01/2008</i>]
  11. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

If you can't sleep in the bed you have then get another one, there's no point keeping something that isn't working for you.

Also if your biological clock has become out of sync then that could be a reason why sleep is a problem.
  12. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

Well, I've inflated my old air mattress tonight and I'll post in a couple of days if it works better than my regular futon mattress on box springs contraption or my new recliner. I just saw the air mattresses today at our grocery/department store for $39, the kind with a foot pump tho, not the electric pump. Today I treated myself to buying an electric inflation pump for $17 and it was worth every penney - it took two minutes to inflate it compared to all that stomping of the manual air pump - I was worn out before I finished. I still long for my old unbaffled waterbed, boo hooo :( Didn't have the energy to start my search for it today tho.

Wouldn't we all give our eye teeth for 4-5 hours of sound sleep!
  13. efaye

efaye New Member

for the great feedback.I hope you all sleep tonight,it's 3:35a.m. and I'm still awake. My neck and back are killing me,I think I'll go take a hydrocodone and get in my lazy boy w/ my blanky and try to rest.To answer some of the comments ,I am going to buy a new bed but have to settle on one, I don't want to spend that much money and not be able to use it.I read where some Drs. did not recommend sleeping on air beds regularly.My old water bed just about killed my back ( hubby loved it ) it had 8 tubes in it.The old foam mattress I used to have back in the 80's was very comfortable but that was before 4 car wrecks and FM and IC and all that other garbage.But I'm leaning towards this new Jamison foam bed.I hope some others reply to the sleep and bed questions I know I'm not alone.God bless and sweet sleep. Faye
  14. Fralligator

Fralligator New Member

I used to spend more nights on the couch then in my bed. I got to the point where I was having terrible nightmeres because of the pain. When I got my tax return last year I used it to buy a sleep number bed. I think it was one of the best choices I have made in a long time. I paid about $3000 and got a queen size that is one of the better models with the memory foam. The great thing is you can change your bed with a touch of a button based on how you are feeling. If you want soft, you get soft. If you are having a hard time getting out of bed, you can fill it up 100% and the firmness helps you get up. With a touch of a button you can set your firmness from 5 to 100 (with 100 being the most firm)in increments of 5. I got the bed with 2 controllers so my fiance can set his side to a number that works best for him. The other great thing is the bed does not transfer motion like regular spring matresses. I am a light sleeper and my Fiance's tossing and turning used to wake me up all the time. That is no longer a problem either. They also say the bed will last 20 years. I think that is a good investment.

It is not perfect, I don't think anything could be but - it is one of the best purchases I made. I wish you luck and good sleep.
  15. connieaag

connieaag New Member

I can't remember which one, but some hotel advertises sleep number beds. That might be a good way to check it out!
  16. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I really love my Tempurpedic Bed. We have the mid priced one....I wish we could have gotten the one that has the adjustable head , like a hospital bed!

I am always too hot...always getting the sweats or hot flashes and the mattress doesn't bother me or make me too hot...we got 2 free tempurpedic pillows and I think they make my head hot....but, I love the curves of the pillows and the support!

I read somewhere on the internet that the sleep number beds can have huge problems...google it and check out scam busters or complaints...I just happened to stumble onto that site...

Even though I love my bed, I still can't sleep at night...my best time to sleep is 5a.m. until about 1 pm...
  17. Frannie17

Frannie17 New Member

Whoa - sleeping on the air mattress last night sure wasn't the answer for me either :(

Someone mentioned that some hotels have the special beds so I might start calling around and see if I can find any. It would be worth it to me to spend a couple of nights at a hotel to test a new type of mattress IMHO. Rather than buy a new mattress or bed outright and have the hassle of returning it, yuck.

Any more ideas? So far the new Lazy Boy recliner has worked best for me - at least I can (usually) depend on a couple of hours of sleep in it.

18. Remollie

Remollie New Member

I've slept in my Lane recliner for years now, and it's the best thing I have found for at least a couple of hours of sleep. I know part of the problem is my inability to just relax and get a good night's sleep.

I can't use a bed mattress and when our daughter was buying a new mattress for her guest room bed she asked what kind we would like. Hubby and I tested several and chose a very firm one that felt great in the store, but I just can't lie that flat, even with several pillows under my shoulders, so I use the recliner in our grandson's room, and that also works well.

Thing is, though - he likes to wake up during the night and come on the recliner with me. He's only 4 and small boned, but it does take some getting used to, having him moving around.

My biggest problem is in travelling. I simply cannot sleep in a hotel/motel bed, and spend the worst and sleepless nights all the time we are on the road. I told my husband the next trip we take, I'm going to recline the front passenger seat in the car, take my pillow and fuzzy blanket and sleep there. At least that gives enough support!

Long answer to a short question, I know, but I can relate to so many of the posters here who just have the same problems of staying asleep for any lenght of time. Goes with the FMS, doesn't it?

Hope we can come up with the perfect solution soon!

Love, Annie
  19. cindyqt

cindyqt New Member

Hi efaye, going to give you years of advice. But first.. for some odd reason, I had to leave our bed and I find the one of our two sofas is the only one comfourable. Depends all on the foam and how it feels against your muscles and nerves. I've been sleeping on this sofa for about 8 mos. and never before slept away from my hubby. But, I had to find sleep. Do whatever is right for the time being. I have gotten on "change" episodes. Many nights I'd go outside and get into the RV. Getting it really cold helped me sleep. I would not suggest getting more mattresses ! I've done so about 3 times. My solution..go to walmart or jcpennys and get 2 good, not expensive, egg crate mattress toppers. Believe me, I've done everything. But for now, it is the microfiber spare I am in chat nearly every night. Glad to help Cindy
  20. tonia1990

tonia1990 New Member

I havent slept in my bed for 6years.It just hurts me too much so i sleep on the couch.