Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zen68, Aug 21, 2008.

1. zen68

zen68 New Member

I have tried a bunch of stuff, including benadryl, elavil, ambien, melatonin. They all used to work for me, but nothings been the same since the FM. Things that used to put me right to sleep leave me feeling like I have lightning flowing through me. Tried melatonin three nights ago and it landed me in the hospital. Seraquil worked great, but in addition to sleeping all night I also slept all day, AND I gained 30 lbs in 30 days. I actually had a psychotic episode about a month ago because I went so many nights without sleep. My docs don't even know what to do with me at this point. Any other drugs or therapies people would recommend? Seeing doctor tomorrow. I just want to sleep AT NIGHT!
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Have you had your cortisol levels tested? If they are high at night they can definitely interfere with sleep. Mine were high and I had horrible middle of the night insomnia, started taking Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) and it helped a great deal. But you shouldn't take it without getting your cortisol tested because if your levels are low, it can lower them too much. A good test if the Adrenal Stress Index Test, can be ordered by any doctor or naturopath. I had mine done by Clymer Healing Research (on-line), everything done by phone, e-mail and regular mail.

Other things that might help:
    l-theanine - an amino acid which is very calming, helps your brain produce GABA

5-htp or l-tryptophan - amino acids which help increase serotonin - DON'T take these if you're taking an SSRI

valerian root

calcium and magnesium of course

And as Jam asked, what dose melatonin were you taking? I think she's right in that a low dose is better. I think a high dose can actually cause insomnia.

I wish there was a magic pill - good luck --

3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

it converts serotonin to melatonin...

But you cannot use this supplement if you are bipolar or you use MAOIs....

4. landra

landra New Member

It was developed as an anti-depressant, but they found it more useful for sleep! Sometimes it makes me groggy, but I cut back the dose after I have a few days of getting to sleep!

Hope you find some help - I know how bad it is when you can't sleep!

5. zen68

zen68 New Member

I was hearbroken when it didn't work because I'd heard such good things about it. I will definitely ask my doctor about the high cortisol levels, which I guess would tend to make sense because all I have done since being diagnosed with FM is gain weight, mostly in stomach area. My little episode with seroquil caused me to gain 30 lbs in 30 days, ouch. I was on 5 mg of melatonin. I guess my theory was to go for the gusto. As soon as we figure out what is causing my daytime nausea and dizziness, which I thought was the melatonin, but had continued to happen two days after going off of it, we may consider a lower dose. I've heard hypnotherapy mentioned in the threads. Is that for sleep, and what's it all about? Thanks so far for the help.
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

The only thing that has worked for me so far is Halcion. I take .50mg before bed and that makes sure I sleep.
  7. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You might try Restoril. It really helped me and I liked it. I have tried almost every sleeping pill because I have had insomnia for a few years. Restoril comes in 7.5 mg, 15 mg, and 30 mg. I started on 7.5. but needed 15 mg to sleep.

The doctor gave me Halcion but I never tried it. I also tried Lunesta which made me nauseated the next day.

Rozerum did nothing. Elavil knocked me out.
  8. zen68

zen68 New Member

Thanks for the ideas so far. I have four meds I'm going to ask my doc about based on your ideas, but I would like a couple more, because I've played this game for over a year, and I want to have plenty of options.
    Thanks again.
  9. ChyC

ChyC New Member

I use Herbal Sleep Wells by Swiss Natural Sources which has valerian in it and I also use Valerian Caps by GNC when I feel my legs beginning to jump, jerk and nearly come out of the sockets at the hips and thighs. It's so painful that night and can hardly move and walk the next day. So I add the GNC Valerian and it helps calm them enough to put me to sleep. They are the only thing I use as an sleeping aid and my other 2 meds at night.

Whatever works is what I'll do to help my symptoms. That's just me.

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2008]
  10. jsmithpa

jsmithpa New Member

Melatonin strengthens the immune system and sugar suppresses it. If you have an autoimmune problem, the melatonin will probably make things worse and sugar should make things better, at least temporarily.
  11. dastolz

dastolz New Member

I have severe insomnia and had my Cortisol levels tested. They are very high at night and low in the morning. The Homeopathic Dr. that ordered the test didn't have any suggestions about what to do about the results. I thought about moving to Europe so I'd be on the correct sleep schedule but my husband wasn't buying it. Thanks you so much Mary for suggesting ways to deal with that problem!

I've also done the sleep lab. They said I have insomnia and rarely reach deep sleep. When I do sleep I wake up 17 times an hour. They also had very few suggestions what I could do about it. They said to raise my head and possibly get a hospital bed and get off all my sleep med.s.

The one thing that seems to help long term is Trazadone. I take 1/3 of the 50 mg pill. The whole 50 mg. made me a zombie during the day and 1/2 was not enough. I tried Elavil before that and it made me feel like I was crazy.

12. kking0412

kking0412 New Member

I have tried them all. sleep study - apnea, yep. I am currently SLEEPING for the first time in 11 years with the aid of hypnotherapy. seriously, its been almost a month and it is working.
  13. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I can really sympathize; I went through the same thing. Restoril worked really well for me. I'm off it now, thank God, and I take an occasional OTC product called 'Simply Sleep' every once in awhile now.

One word of advice with Restoril, if you decide to give it a try, do not stop taking it abruptly. You have to taper off of it gradually. I didn't and I suffered terrible withdrawal symptoms and I would not advise doing that.

14. Beba

Beba New Member

Hello, Pls. tell me more about your hypnotherapy session/s. Thanks! Beba
  15. 3gs

3gs New Member

sleep what the heck is that?
  16. annade

annade New Member

I can totally relate as I have been struggling with insomnia for the past six years and have tried various things,some have worked, some have not and others have worked temporarily. The meds that have worked the best for me have included temazapam (worked great for several months), 12mg ambien CR (worked for a while as well and then stopped working), Remeron also worked but knocked me out too much and I was very sleepy the following day. What I use know is a low dose of Klonopin (.5mg at bedtime) and I sleep the best I have slept in years. It does make me a little groggy first thing in the morning but once I get up and take a shower I feel fine.

Sure hope you find something that works for you. Here's to a good(or at least decent) night sleep to everyone.

17. plh11

plh11 New Member

I've had significant insomnia for a few years now. Unable to take the herbal supplements due to allergies. Melatonin worked for awhile. Currently on a "sleep cocktail" of low doses of trazadone, doxepin, neurontin, klonopin, and Tizanidine (muscle relaxant).