I can't stand this pain in my shoulders any longer...please help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jaden, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Jaden

Jaden New Member

I can't stand this much longer!!
    My shoulders burn so bad!! I take a muscle relaxer, and bextra and the pain is always there!!
    It burns if I do anything using my arms! Even typing right now is causing so much pain I am nearly in tears with it!!

I have had shoulder pain since I was about 14 and it is just getting worse!! I have been told that it is burcitus, that my shoulder blade is rubbing on my ribs, you name it, but no help!!

I am going to call my Dr again about this, there has to be something to help!!! I can handle the aches and reg pains from my FM right now but this is almost unbarable!!

Does anyone else suffer like this??? What should I ask my Dr??
    I have never had X-rays, or u/s or anything to see what is going on!

Any advice is helpful, as I am fighting tears right now. I am holding it together as best I can as I have a 3 yr old.

Joanne
  2. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

especially when I'm at the computer or try using my arms. My arms have gotton so bad..I cant hardly write and the pain is too intense. I went to a vascular doc and he is baffled. He is doing a chest xray and a bone scan on that area this friday. I know what your going thru, its misable.
    Carlacat
  3. 2girls

2girls New Member

So sorry you are feeling awful. The shoulder/mid-back pain is the worst! I had a bad flare in this area last Aug to Nov and there were days I could not get out of bed for more that 20 min, the pain was so bad. I actually went to the ER the pain was so bad. I was lucky enough to have had a good doc - gave full xrays. All xrays were normal, even though I did not feel normal. Ask your doc for full xrays. Peace of mind alone can reduce your stress level thus reducing your pain. If your doc refuses, go to the er but DO NOT mention fibro as I doubt you will be taken seriously.
    Hope this helps
    2girls
  4. lmn

lmn New Member

I have the shoulder/neck pain too, and it's horrible. I found the Proenergy (malic acid/magnesium) sold here has actually taken some of the pain away. Gentle neck stretches and warm rice packs also take the edge off.
    Wish I could help more. Take care.
    lmn
  5. Lau

Lau New Member

I know what you mean about the shoulder pain, it makes it hard to do anything. This is a re-occurring problem for me to. I see a rhuemotoligist, and he tells me that it is bursitis. He injects the joint with a cortisone medication, and it usually helps. In addition to this, I find that I must really rest that area for a while by not using it as much as possible. I can imagine how hard this must be for you with a 3 year old. I also have problems with bursitis in my ankles and knees. (OUCHH!)

Hope your dr will help you find out if this is your problem also, as the shots can help. We can't always assume that every problem we have is FM, sometimes there is something else going on that can be treated.

Hope your feeling better soon.

Laurie
  6. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

You can have entraped/compressed nerves that do not show up on any tests and can cause this type of burning, stabbing electrical pain...ask your dr. about Neurontin - it was made as an anti-seizure med but helps many with FM...not sure I understand why but it is the only thing that has helped me with the same kind of pain I have in shoulder and upper arms. I can't take stronger type meds like narcotics because of bad reactions but I was able to get used to Neurontin by starting out with low dosages of 100 mg and working up to 300s 3/day...what a relief!

Best of luck to you for finding something that helps...I know what you are going through.
    Hugs & Blessings
  7. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Joanne,
    Sorry to hear how youre struggling,believe me youre not alone honey.
    I was diagnosed with CFS & Fibro 6years ago & i swear this is my worst ever year.
    In a wheelchair for my 1st year or so i couldnt stand it.
    I made myself get out of that chair & get some elbow crutches,but boy was it hard.
    Everytime i go to walk my hips get soo much pain in them & my arms & legs,my back,neck & shoulders aswell,its unbearable.
    I take 8 codydramol per day,40 mg of cipramil(anti-depressants & multi vitamins with iron.
    I know i should be taking other stuff so im going to pain clinic next week to ask what else i can have.
    Youre not alone Joanne & i have a 9year old daughter & ive brought her up to be very independant from a very young age because i had no choice.
    Tell your doctor exactly how you feel,exactly where youre pain is & also tell him about any other symptoms you have.
    Thats the only way he will be able to help you.
    Good luck & let me know how you get on.
    Very gentle hugs to you sharon d(UK)