I can't take another night, like last night.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kacjac, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I went to bed at 10:30 hoping I could go to sleep soon!
    NOT!
    I laid there till about midnight, sat up in bed, tried to use the massager, with my hubby's bad shoulder, and the arm in a sling, he couldn't do it manually. He comes through the door to go to bed, I drop the massager on the floor, and just completely broke down and cried, I was too afraid to take a pain pill, because I had taken a half of xanax for my papls!
    I was having severe pain in neck and upper back!
    So I laid a half of vicodin on the night stand that hubby got for me. I laid back down, after getting my heating pad, hit my head, jarred my back, screamed out in pain, by now I'm crying again, and wish I'd just die!
    Glad I didn't mean it!:(
    Poor hubby doesn't know what to do, and feels so helpless!
    I finally went to sleep around 2 am, but was back up at 6:30am...took a nap from 9:30am to 11:00am today.
    Hope and pray for sleep tonight.....
    I have got to figure out what meds I can take together, and find something thats will help with sleep too.
    I'll be glad when I figure it all out!
    Any advice will be gladly recieved...hugz, Karen
  2. tanyasue

tanyasue New Member

Just sympathy! I hate nights like that, and am sorry you had one.

I always try to pretend that it is good I am not sleeping because I can get things done. For some reason that never works for me...

All I know is that what works for some, doesn't work for others.

I hope tonight is better for you!

Tanya Sue
  3. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

you were in so much pain last night. What do you have for pain that you were worried about taking together?

Kelly
  4. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

Karen- I am so sorry you are hurting, doesn't sound like
    the pain pills are working. I can only tell you that I have been there, in fact I am there; without sleep meds I wouldn't get any sleep at all. I relax in front of the tv and feel like I could go to sleep, but just walking to the bedroom wakes me up. I have found that Ambien before bed and in the middle of the night works well for me. I take half a 10mg pill before bed and then put the other half on the night stand (as suggested by someone else on this board) If I wake up before 3:00 (which I usually do), I just take the other half and I'm good for 4 more hours. For pain I take Cymbalta. It works on the neurotransmitters and serotonin. If I could tolerate 60 mg my pain levels would be even less, but for some reason I can only take 30 mg. I know others take much larger doses and don't have the side effects. I also go to a Chiropractor for regular neck adjustments and he is working on my hip pain. Overall the Cymbalta has cut my pain in half.
    I have only tried vicodin for pain before and it made me dizzy and sick, over the counter pills don't do a thing,so this is the absolute best med for pain.
    As far as mixing meds, I would not do any mixing without asking my doctor or pharmacist. Pharmacists are usually really willing to answer all of your questions.
    I pray you will sleep tonight.
    Hugs, Janice
  5. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I'm not saying that you shouldn't take med or try hot bath or other methods of relief. I have found, however, that prayer should be my first line of defense because whenever I "can't take it anymore" I ask my husband to pray over me. When he does, I ALWAYS, ALWAYS feel better. I don't know why I forget to have him pray before I'm at my wit's end.

As I said, prayer should be our first line of defense. Even if the pain doesn't go away, it always gives me peace.

Blessings, Lolalee
  6. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

It's 7:30 pm, I'm sitting here with ice on me now, I have sorta had a headache to day, getting worse now.
    As for as mixing meds, all I meant was my Dr. had said don't take my Vicodin with xanax, so I was afraid to take anything for pain, even though I just took only half a xanax.
    Most of the times my pain meds do work, I have Vicodin, and Tramadol, and I have Sonata, that does absolutely nada, zilch!
    As for as praying I did, just didn't think to ask my husband which I have before, many times, and yes, thats always the best thing to do first, I agree!
    I think it was Tanya, that mentioned getting up to do things, at night, that would have been okay accept, that I was hurting to bad, and I have obilgations to meet, during the day, and need that precious sleep!
    I am a full time caregiver. 24/7
    I'm sick, taking care of the sick! :)
    Gentle Hugz, karen
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2005]
  7. Chilepepper

Chilepepper New Member

I am exactly the same, been going thru this for the last couple of weeks. I go to bed around 9 or 10 and might go to sleep for a few hours and wake around 2am, or can't go to sleep at all til around 2 and wake around 4. I was so tired that I was woosie! Guess what I can't take naps my mind goes on over drive. doesn't seem like the energy switch turns off and it won't shut off. What to do?? I think we just need to take the meds when we really need them, and during the times we aren't so bad we can maybe back off of them. But right now it is imparitive that we get sleep or we aren't going to get better or at least get on our feet as it were. If you hang in there so will I.
    Sharon
  8. ksc

ksc New Member

When I have a break down I call them my Pity-Me-Party!
    I cry, feel sorry for myself, my husband sits there and nods his head and tells me he loves me. The pain pills don't really work. I take 2 xanax at night and 1 vicadone if I need them. Being inpain just makes it worse. It's like a snowball that keeps growing! Mirapex works well for me. I have very few bad days any more. Also have found that a warm bath with 3 c. epson salt & 3 c. peroxide works wonders. It draws the toxins out of the muscles. A hot tub is great too.
    The sleepless nights are h---,you feel helpless and alone.
    Thank goodness for places like this where we can go and people really understand our pain!
    kathy
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Ask your doctor for Ambien. Try 5 mg to start. I break it in half and take the second half if I wake up. Ambien does not seem to last the entire night, but you can get right back to sleep.

They now have Ambien CR that is time release - you get 1/2 now and 1/2 several hours later to help you sleep through the night..Ambien is great and you are fine the next day.

I also have problems sleeping - I am just used to it now.
  10. Gly

Gly New Member

I take zopiclone and trazadone every night. I can't even remember the last time I was able to sleep without them. I can be totally exhausted but my mind races. I can't even nap during the day. Fortunately they still work after I-don't-even-know-how-long.
  11. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Vicodin keeps me awake. I woke up this am about 4ish in a lot of pain and thought I would try 1/2 a vic and was up until the alarm rang at 6:30 for work. The pain was better but now it's 2 in the afternoon and am crashing at work. Vicodin seems to work as a stimulant for me but it is the only thing that works for my lower back pain, ultram works for the general fibro but that also keeps me awake. Darvocet makes me somewhat sleepier but does not really kill the pain. The only thing that really helps both is SOMA and Dr. does not like to prescribe that too often. I am so tolerant to pain killers these days I hate to try to up a dosage because I know in time I will get used to it. Remeron helps for sleep but I gain weight. I'm not real overweight; 240 lbs but i'm a large framed male 6' 3 1/2" but still don't want to gain anymore. I do know a lot of persons taking vicodin for fibro and they also feel it stimulates them and is great for the daytime but not at night. No answers I guess - hope you get a good night sleep.
  12. sdown

sdown New Member

SAMe is a supplement available on this site. It helps with pain and mood. My doctor has me on it and Ive been taking it for 4 years. It calms me down and I know when I had sinus infections this year I had no pain thanks to the SAMe. I used to have lower back pain and no longer thanks to SAMe. I take 400 mg a day. When things get bad I take 800 mg day. It helps alot with stress too. SAMe is something we naturally produce in our bodies but when we are chronically ill our bodies do not produce enough. If you are on anti-depressants though check with your doctor if you can take SAMe. SAMe is a natural anti-depressant. I know I would have had a full blown severe depression if it wasnt for SAMe. Ive avoided taking anti-depressants to date thanks to SAMe. So it helps with a multitude of things. Good luck to you! I'll say a prayer for you.
  13. gumama

gumama New Member

I know EXACTLY what your going through... I am the full time caregiver of my 87 yr old Mom who lives with us and requires full 24/7 care. ie. lifting etc... and my Husband who has Lupus and had a heart attack 16 months ago and several trips to the ER the last 3 months with heart rate over 200.!!!!!!!! I have no help with either of them..

It always seems that the caregivers are the ones who are NEVER SUPPOSE TO BE SICK... !!!!!! I so feel you pain ( no pun intended).... all most ALL of my body pain is upper body.. so having two people to care for doesn't help that at all...

But here is what works for me...I take no pain meds because my body is too senseative to them, but I do take 1600 mgs of Calcium about an hour before bed, along with Folic Acid, and Potassium..... if your tummy will handle the Magnesium take 400 mgs about 3 hours before bed...

I get in my recliner in my bedroom, put my head phones on with my relaxing CD's and my heating pad and just try and relax.. sometimes I light a lavender candle in my room an hour or so before bed...... I realize that the same things done't work for everyone.. but hopefully you will get a few "new" things that will help you.

When I'm having a bad afternoon or night, I just call my prayer partner and we pray together.. THEN I do all the above... its so hard to shut our minds off. especially being caregivers, we are always looking toward the next day "dreading" what we have to do knowing were going to be exhausted...

I pray that the Lord will bring you peace and sleep.

Blessing to you

Sandy ( in the desert of Calif)
  14. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

What sweet and understanding replies from you all!
    I finally slept better last night, and dear family took care of my sweetie pie, and fed her breakfast while I got to sleep in....Whoopie!!!!
    When I woke up, guess what...I almost felt human LOL
    Thanks for all the great advice, I see rhuemy before PCP so I'll be talking to him, about this!
    Will keep you posted, about what I finally end up doing!
    Love to all~Karen
  15. MimiMLR

MimiMLR New Member

An anti-dep. It's called remeron. A Pshyc Doc put me on it and I got my first full night of sleep in 7 years! So i take half of one every night and can sleep at least 6 hours straight! Before that I didn't sleep more than 45 min stretch's. Might be worth a try.

Hope Things Get better
    But for now
    (((( ))))
    Hugs
    Mimi R.