I Can't Take Vitamins

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasminetee, Sep 25, 2009.

1. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I used to be able to take all the vitamins I wanted to and I believe they helped me when my CFS was mild. Now I can't take them at all, not even the Zinc-C lozenges that help my constant colds and sore throats, not liquid vitamins. I can't even handle buffered-C powder.

Is anyone else in the same boat and has anyone tried those All-Food based vitamins? If so, were you unable to tolerate other vitamins but able to tolerate those?

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2009]
  2. jole

jole Member

I can't take them either. There is something in a lot of supplements that bothers me...I wish I could find out exactly what it is. I can get very shaky and have heart paliptations from some, and others just make me sick to my stomach.

But I have found that if I take some things in liquid form I get along much better, so I'm wondering if part of it is the filler? I do know that the palpitations though are another matter, and has to be a direct ingredient.

What do they do to you, if I may ask?..............Jole
  3. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I can't take the liquid vitamins either. I looked on the ingredient list and they have all sorts of fillers too. Maybe I shouldn't have told you that. :-/

I get the same symptoms you do as well as bloating, nausea, and just worse overall. My body just can't break them down now or use them properly I think. The last thing I need is something that makes me feel even worse than I already do but I'm getting pressured to try them again, albeit in whole-food form.

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2009]
  4. LindaJones

LindaJones New Member

I have this problems also.
    It's hard to get all the nutrients from food.
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Can you try a greenfood supplement?

I am in the same boat and I have a greenfood supplement that I take every day which contains (in natural food form) the recommended daily amounts of vitamins and minerals in it but the supplement is made from things like green barley, spinach, alfalfa, beets and citrus rinds.

I take mine in capsules as I gag at the taste of the powder...LOL.

I get mine from an online shop in the UK - don't know if they ship to the US but I've seen ones online from the US and they are cheaper than in the UK and I'm sure they are as good, if not better.

You can work up slowly with it as well to see how you react.

I'd give that a try if I were you.

Love Bunchy x
  6. jole

jole Member

The only thing that I can take without any problem is a liquid cal-mag product. I've tried a lot of the liquid supplements through net marketing companies and they simply do not work, no matter how much hype they give them! I've returned soooo many, and they all act totally floored that someone can't take them, but I can't.

Natural does not always mean a person can take it....anyway, it doesn't with me. It's too bad we can't, 'cause I'm like you guys, with this DD I certainly don't always eat well, and have severe osteoporosis...can't take the meds for that either....lol...

What's a person to do?.....sigh...............Jole
  7. mezombie

mezombie Member

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Have you tried digestive enzymes? I find they help me quite a bit with food. So perhaps they would help with food-based vitamins as well.

Don't know; this is just a stab in the dark!

8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I can't take any enzymes either and probiotics didn't help me. I tried every kind out there. We have the refrigerated ones that are like liquid at the health food store too.

I'm unable to handle any of them. I saw the ingredients on the whole food ones made from the greens and barley etc.. and i can't handle a lot of those vitamins either.

Oh well, at least I do eat really well. I eat lots of the best plain yogurt too so I do get my probiotics that way.

Does anyone know of articles that talk about how PWC often can't take vitamins? I can't find any but I'm sure I've read it before. [This Message was Edited on 09/26/2009]
  9. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Please give the Spirutein powder a try. It doesn't have fillers and I was able to take it for years. It's expensive, though, but you can try a smaller can.

I had a problem with a vitamin D store brand. I'd take it and be in horrible pain. I don't know what they use as fillers for half these vitamins anymore, but they give alot of people problems.
  10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Hi Tea,

I'd try it except it has Magnesium in it and I know I can't handle that. I bought powdered Magnesium in the past and tried to take the tiniest amount, just a little pinch and immediately it felt like the entire contents of my intestines emptied out and it was extremely painful.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm glad it works for you.

11. loto

loto Member

I have heard that the fillers and even the capsule/container or coating on vitamins have made people not be able to tolerate them.

12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

It is frustrating as vitamins are not regulated so you never know what you are getting. Fillers can make a difference in vitamins, supplements and generic drugs but at least with generic drugs you can find out what the fillers are.

I take CoQ10, iron and a multi vitamin. I want them regulated so I know that I am getting what I need.

Supposedly the Obama administration is moving to have these regulated through the FDA.

Of course even with that things slip by, but the odds are better than no regulation at all.

On the other side there are three bills to lesson any FDA involvement but it has about a snowballs chance in hell of being passed. :>)
  13. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

recently i added a detox cleans kinda thing to my Normal supplements i take. it was a 30 day cleanse 4 caps per day, and about 3 weeks after i started it my Kidney function went wacky!!

the cleans had all Natural herbs in it, but it was just too strong, i should have known something was wrong i was feeling more nauseated than usual. So please listen to your Body, even if it;s natural or not a heavy duty script, you can still do some real damage to yourself.

so far, my Kidney function went back to Normal,, and my ultrasound didnt show anything abnormal,i just pray i stopped it in time.
    Take care everyone
  14. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

I'm not quite sure if it's the fillers or the vitamins themselves which cause problems through some weird mechanism behind CFS, like pushing the immune system or being utilizied in a different/wrong way if that is possible.

The questions we have to ask ourselves is what is causing all these intolerances? Scientists really should take a look at it because right now I think this is a key problem for many PWCs including myself.

15. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Add me to that list. I was taking them fine for about three days, then I took it the fourth day and was almost completely bedbound fro the next eight hours, from extreme~ full-body weakness. The next day I was fine. The day after, it happened again and I figured out it was the vitamin... Strange, strange. My doctor said it sounds like some type of sensitivity but she wasn't sure what it could be.
  16. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That is scary. It sounds like you caught it in time at least. I hope your kidneys continue to function well.

Thanks for your input Spiro. I recall you reacting to things similarly to me. I hope someday we can tolerate taking vitamins again. It once really helped me.

Wow Karynwolf, that is amazing. That just goes to show that with CFS one thing can work one day then become contra-indicated the next. Your experience is just like mine. What a mystery CFS is.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2009]
  17. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Celiacs have a tremendously difficult time ascertaining whether RX meds are gluten-free or not. There are a number of compounds used in processing meds ('processing aids') that aren't required to be labelled on RX meds. Ditto sources of starches used VERY frequently in pills, as capsule fillers, & coatings.

Pharmacists have spent dozens of hours trying to track down gluten-free medications when meds have been RXd for the celiac members of our family. Many, many times, the manufacturer cannot guarantee GF status, primarily because their sources of excipients (the nonactive ingredients) vary from batch to batch & they claim they can't track down excip suppliers for a given batch.

Most celiacs who have needed meds have had similar experiences. This makes obtaining GF meds very, very tricky for celiacs & other people with severe gluten intolerance. In some cases we've had to resort to specialized pharmaceutical compounding that's done in a specifically gluten-free environment.

Interestingly, it's MUCH easier these days to ascertain whether or not a supplement is GF, at least with the major supp manufacturers. In many cases the label specifies gluten status; and very often even questions about potential cross-contamination with gluten during manufacture of the supp, can be answered. I'm talking about major supp manufacturers who adhere to their industry's GMP (good manufacturing policy).

The celiac community as a whole is getting a chip on its shoulder about pharmaceutical med labelling. If food & supp manufacturers can do it, why not pharma? And why doesn't the FDA, who regulates labelling of many food allergens (and which is currently on track to regulate gluten-free status labelling in food) -- why aren't they requiring it of pharmaceutical manufacturers? ;)

Best wishes.
  18. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Interesting info SnoozQ. I never knew that.

The pharmaceutical manufacturers have lots of Lobbyists in Washington. Something WE need.
  19. italiano

italiano New Member

I can't take anything either. Powders,liquids,enzymes,nada! I get very sick and shaky. Can't explain it but then we can't explain alot of things with this illness can we?

when i think of the thousands of dollars i have spent on trying the above...every brand, every form....hoping something would work. oh well.