I could use your support and prayers!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, Nov 15, 2002.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a research study I will be participating in for four days starting the day after Thanksgiving. It will be at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. Well, tonight my husband and I are headed for Detroit to meet with Dr. Gillis (the head of the sleep research study). I imagine there will be papers to sign and more information to give me.

I'm not sure, but I think starting tonight I have to give up all pain and sleep medications until I am done with the study. I really want to do this to hopefully help in the research to find a cure for fibromyalgia. Not only do I want to help myself, but others, too. But to be honest, I am really scared to be without medication, especially the pain medication. I am still trying to work full-time, but I know that without my medications it's going to be really hard. Fortunately, my husband is being real supportive of me right now. He is driving me to Detroit tonight. He knows the area better than me and after working all day, I am pretty tired.

I can really use everyone's encouraging words and support right now. I'll let you know how the research study went when I am done (December 3 I will be released from the hospital).

Thanks.

Ellen

P.S. This may sound like a dumb question, but what does LOL mean? I often see this in other people's posts along with DD (I figured out what that means!).
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a research study I will be participating in for four days starting the day after Thanksgiving. It will be at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan. Well, tonight my husband and I are headed for Detroit to meet with Dr. Gillis (the head of the sleep research study). I imagine there will be papers to sign and more information to give me.

I'm not sure, but I think starting tonight I have to give up all pain and sleep medications until I am done with the study. I really want to do this to hopefully help in the research to find a cure for fibromyalgia. Not only do I want to help myself, but others, too. But to be honest, I am really scared to be without medication, especially the pain medication. I am still trying to work full-time, but I know that without my medications it's going to be really hard. Fortunately, my husband is being real supportive of me right now. He is driving me to Detroit tonight. He knows the area better than me and after working all day, I am pretty tired.

I can really use everyone's encouraging words and support right now. I'll let you know how the research study went when I am done (December 3 I will be released from the hospital).

Thanks.

Ellen

P.S. This may sound like a dumb question, but what does LOL mean? I often see this in other people's posts along with DD (I figured out what that means!).
  3. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

"Laugh ON LINE" All my prayers go to you and your brave. Keep your chin up . Prayers and gentle hugs LindaGa
  4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

that you would think any question here is dumb.
    My heart goes out to you in your time of trial. I know what shape I would be in without my meds and, believe me, you do have my sympathy. I hope all goes well for you. If they someday do find a cure, you can be proud that you were brave enough to play a role, no matter how insignificant it may seem. Best of luck to you, and please let us know how you do.
    Kathryn
  5. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

that you won't have one minute of pain while you're doing this study. And I think it's wonderful that hubby is supportive enough to go with you. Take care and let us know how it goes. Who knows, this may be the beginning of a cure for this DD.

And LOL for me means "laughing out loud".
    Hugs
    Annette
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

All our Prayers and Support are with you, Ellen!
    Thank you so much for all suffering with these disorders, and those to come; that you are being selfless, willing to possibly experience discomfort, for our betterment! You go, girl!

We anxiously await--hearing from you in December, when you are released. Hey, can't you bribe one of those nurses into granting you a few minutes to borrow a computer, online, to update us? Lol, put some sweets in your pocket before you go in!

Best Wishes!
    Karen
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts---good for you for doing this, and looking at the bigger picture, even though it may be tough at present. Please keep us posted on what you learn, we'll all be anxious to see how it went for you.

I lived in Detroit 20 years ago, know exactly where Henry Ford Hospital is. You'll be in good hands!

Take care & know everyone here is wishing the best for you to be in as little pain, & as comfortable as possible.

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I am NOT that brave.....be well! You have my support and I hope you do well throughout the research study. Your husband is even braver than you are....he may need earplugs and a padded suit! God Bless You Both!!!
    Love and support!
    Kady
  9. fibolady

fibolady New Member

this study sounds so exciting, of course we aren't the ones having to give up our meds! please keep us informed as we all will be thinking of you. will you be at the hospital until december 3rd. hopefully, you can use a laptop to keep in touch if you stay. there are so many questions, but mostly we will keep you in our thoughts. lol (lots of love too!)

i didn't realize doctors were still researching this dd, thought just about everyone had written us off!

warm regards, fibolady
  10. PMangels

PMangels New Member

lady you are to do this!! I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers. And who knows, maybe you will be FAMOUS someday and we will ALL have you to thank. Be brave...just think about all those people you may be helping.

God Bless and (((hugs)))
    Arlene
  11. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Thanks, everyone for your messages of encouragement! I'm not sure if I can use a computer while I am staying at Henry Ford Hospital, but I will ask. If not, then I will let you know how it went after I am released on December 3. I won't actually have the results of the sleep study until about three weeks after it is over.

My husband and I went Friday night and I am feeling better about participating in the research. For one thing, I don't have to be without my sleep and pain medications as long as I originally thought. We met with Dr. Gillis and she said my last day for the sleep medications (Elavil and melatonin) will be November 21 and the last day I can take my pain medication will be November 25. With Thanksgiving, I won't be working part of that time, which will help.

Of course there were papers to go through and a couple of things to sign. Then Dr. Gillis gave us a tour of the sleep center. She showed us the room where the monitoring is done and introduced us to some of the staff. She also showed us one of the sleep rooms. There is an intercom in each room so I can communicate with the people in the monitoring room at any time. And there is also a video camera in the room. There is a bathroom in each room with a shower. (no, there is no video camera in the bathroom-totally privacy there!).

Anyway, thanks again for everything-I knew you guys
    wouldn't let me down!

Ellen
  12. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Eat lots of goodies on Thanksgiving before going in.
    Please keep us posted as to the outcome. Will you be in a sleep lab for the night?
    Good luck.
    Painfree days ahead! Very very soft hugs.
  13. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

God Bless you Ellen

I will keep you in my prayers daily. We all need daily prayers but I guess you could use some extra the next couple of weeks. Have a great holiday and good luck on the research. Just remember we all have you in are thoughts and prayers.

HUGS
    Shelle