I DESPERATELY need help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PepperGirl52, Sep 27, 2006.

1. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

Some of you maya think this is trivial, but it really isn't to me!!

Since I've come down with fibro/chronic fatigue, and been put on methadone/zoloft, etc, I crave, and I mean CRAVE sugary, sweet stuff ALL THE TIME!!

I had lost so much weight before the diagnosis, that the only things I can think that are causing me to be hungry all the time are 1) being tired so much, and 2) medications.

BUT, my question is: How do I get a handle on this?? I am a very controlled person. I don't smoke, and I can pass on everything else that is fun, great-tasting, etc.

But I can NOT get a handle on not eating sweets!

Like last night, I had a little tiny bit of turkey casserole, then sat and ate an entire carmeled apple (with chocolate chips and pecans all over it)!! Not to mention the 3 scoop ice cream cone I had at 3:00!

I walk every day, most days, anyway. And I'm still swimming until it gets too cold, so I'm not lacking for exercise.

Someone please, recommend something for me to eat, do, drink, whatever!! At this point, I'd even go for hypnosis!! THANKS!!! PG
  2. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

Would chewing gum help??
  3. mindbender

mindbender New Member

My kids are calling me fat boy. My craving for sweets tripled or more since this DD hit me hard. Basicly 3-4 years ago. I have to eat something sweet after every meal. I don't know why,but I am driven to it. I tried Zoloft, it wasn't for me, but I do recall it making me feel hungry. I'm now on a high dose of Lyrica & I'm hungry all the time. my Dr just laughed when I told him. Apparently he's aware of this side affect. You know there is no secret diet. I'm suprised people are stiil falling for so called secret weight loss miracles. I just have to tell myself the cravings are false. I'm still eating to much though.
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I crave sweets after I eat anything. I try to drink herbal teas cold and hot with artificial sugar.
    Also diabetic candies might help you.
    I also have realized I crave sugar when I'm very tired I think mine is a mental problem because of the quick sugar high .I try to get energy from it ,but I always crash.

You might want to tell your doctor you have this problem. I know anti depression drugs make me crave food in general.
  5. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

It took me awhile to figure this out but the cravings are actually a part of the DDs profile of symptoms. It's called Hypogloscemia and it's like the sugar lows that a diabetic gets. No easy answer except make this known to your doctor asap. I didn't realize how bad this could be as there were so darned many issues going for me during the last few years but my body expanded more than is at all resonable. The harder I'd diet the more I gained. And if that's not one of the most depressing symtoms I'm not sure what all is.Watch out for dried fruits! The concentrated sugar levels are screaming high!! Good Luck!
  6. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've had the very same problem with FM since I was diagnosed two years ago. With me it's more carbs than sweets, but the urge to have them is so severe.

Fortunately, I've only gained 5 pounds, but it's taken extreme effort to keep myself within that window.
    I seen it mentioned a few times on this site that people seem to get cravings for sweets/carbs.

About three months ago I started taking a Calcium Pyruvate 1000mg pill once a day in the mornings. I then did a half hour walk at lunch time. I managed to drop those nasty 5 pounds. UnfortunatelyI've been out of the pills for three weeks, and guess what, the pounds piled back on again.

I've ordered some more and will go back on my previous routine. I did find they helped with the cravings. I've also been in a flare the last couple of weeks so that hasn't helped the situation.

All the best,

Eileen
  7. charlenef

charlenef New Member

eating strawberries with stevia on them it takes the cravings away for me charlene
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

I took to buying sugar free mints and chocolate! that Has helped tremendously! also skim milk and sugar free Jello instant pudding with sugar free cool whip Helps!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope this helps!
  9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I use stevia as a sweetner in coffee, cereal etc.

This is something that I love and it satisfies the sweet craving.....

Mix plain yogurt w stevia, vanilla extract, blueberries and sliced almonds, it's really good.
  10. bcn

bcn New Member

Hi PepperGirl52

The only way I can control this is to remove it all from the house, decide I am going to do without it for a specific amount of time and don't even take 1 little taste of it. Once you take a taste, it is all downhill from there.

I would add lots of fresh vegies and reduce wheat consumption. I think that helps. And eat 1 or 2 small pieces of fruit per day.

I never have been a big fruit eater, but really started loving it when I restricted sugar.

I did it for candida. Then my doc said I didn't have to be a monk about it and I started eating some again and my cravings went wild. Now I have to stop again.

But it wasn't terrible. Just can't be in the house because it screams your name if it is.

Hope this is of any help to you. I know it is hard.
  11. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

I was told by my doctor that when you crave sweets it is because you have yeast growing in your body and they live on sugar. So when the food supply is low you get cravings.

I am in the process of detoxing my body and one of the things I will be doing is trying to kill off the yeast in my body.

I can't remember the name but there is a book about the yeast factor. It will give you suggestions on how to get rid of the cravings
  12. MsE

MsE New Member

I've red that Zoloft will cause sweet cravings and weight gain.
  13. jesfms

jesfms New Member

these cravings are REAL...elavil and remeron were the worst ones for me...didn't seem to get them with paxil
  14. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I have spoken with my doc-he did a test for diabetes, and all was good.

I agree that it makes sense if you're tired, you're going to want to boost your metabolism.

There are so many things going on with our bodies, and when you add meds to that mix, geez, it's a wonder we aren't all on 'The Biggest Loser'! LOL. Not funny, really!

I'm going to try drinking a lot more water and decaf/sugar-free drinks. I think I may be getting dehydrated, too, and that causes some of the cravings.

But any other suggestions will really help! I need all the help and info I can get. THANKS AGAIN!! PG
  15. KelB

KelB New Member

You might be between a rock and a hard place here. Some folks have quite serious reactions to artificial sweeteners, so my best advice would be to try phasing them in gradually to check your reactions to them.

Hopefully you'll find there's no problem, but it never hurts to be careful. It's always babysteps with everything with these DDs.