I did it again , hurt my self

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Apr 23, 2010.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I was getting the pit of an advacado out and stabbed my self in my left habd, the puncture wound is in the muscle that moves when you use your thumb. Every time i moved my thumb the cut would open and gape. I went to my GP who said I needed a tetnusis shot and a couple of stiches. I asked for some thing that did not require needles as I was in enough pain so the nurse steri-striped ittogether although it is taped at a funny angle. I am to keep the steri- strips of as long as possialbe. I am in alot of paain from this stab wound and wou ld like to scream at times. THe tetnesis site itches and aches a bit.
    I have been aching alll over since i did this last thursday. I don't know what is wrong or if stabbing my self could cause a flare that is making me so fatiqued and the shot itches so badly that I can't sleep.

Dumb question? can stabbing yourself in the hand with a knife then having a tetnusis shot cause my fibro to flare up big time? I have never had a small cut cause so much pain in my hand. I am sick of aol the p ain i am in now, I have been flariing since last Feb 09 and it is not getting any better . Just wondered if this injury could worwem ,y flare ?
    Still in pain
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

i myself with Fibromyalgia have found minor cuts to deep cuts throw me into flare.

I also had the tetnus last year from a fall in my yard. A metal post went deep into my leg which all required ER visit stitches and tetnus. they said the tetnus is good for 10 years.
    i still have terrible pain in that particular area.

Peeling a potato and darn knife went into my hand. I screamed and cried it hurt so much.

Splinter in finger, feels like i have much worse than a splinter.

Since having Fibromyalgia i am so very sensitive to any such pain and that little bit can throw me into a flare and painful everywhere. So no, you are not asking a dumb question at all.
    It's as if learning to live a different kind of life as to how we respond to so much.

Be careful as yes those cuts and scrapes can cause one to flare.

3. kat211

kat211 New Member

My thumb is still healing from an incident with a french press. It broke in my hand and sliced my thumb in half. I had to get a tetnus shot too. The pain when the dr was scrubbing my thumb was so bad that I my blood sugar level quickly plumeted and I almost passed out. I did go into a flare after I got home.

For me, I think the immense pain of the scrubbing and the physical shock and reaction of having my blood sugar go so low so quickly is what did me in.
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I thought i knew what Pain was, but after stabbing my stelf in teh ahand causs's me
    terriable pain each time I move my thumb. This pain is worse than 90 percent of the aches adn pain s i have. Teh tiny cut it sealed shut but touching it sends me up the wall. is this going to be some thing that takes for ever to feel better from it.? I know that when I stabbed my hand i tensed up adn caused my wrist to tighten up and not it hurts more and my hand hurts badly too. All this extra pain from one cut this big { __ } it coudl not even have two stiches in it. Yet it feels like I have really injureded myself and all I did was get a small cut that when thru all 7 layers of skin and barely in the muscle. I am just hurting from a tiny cut adn feeel really dumb for whining over a cut that it less than a 1/4 inch long cut.
    I never thought that cutting my slef could cause my fibro to go into over drive and flare big time.
    Thanks for listening to me gripe about this.
    HUGS Rosemarie
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

is infected?
  6. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

if you are having that much pain, it might be infected.....is it red in that area? or hot to the touch? do you have any streaks of pink across your hand starting at the cut?

when I had a tetnus shot, I ran a low fever that night and felt achy like I had the flu....my arm ached so bad that I couldn't lean back and put my weight on my arms....for over a month!!! i think that tenus stuff makes you slightly ill....

i hope your hand starts to feel better real soon.....maybe you should have it looked at....