I did it! My debut as an FM guest speaker

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EllenComstock, May 13, 2003.

1. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Everyone:

Well, I survived my debut last night as an FM guest speaker for the Kiwanis group in my area. I posted a few days ago that I was invited to speak after my article in the newspaper came out.

It was really hard to do this last night after working all day. I don't normally do things in the evenings like I used to-just too exhausted. I was somewhat stressed because I was not familiar with the area I was going to and of course being nervous about speaking in front of a group. This brought on pain, of course, so I took my pain meds before leaving. I also hurried home after work and layed down for an hour. My husband gave me directions and made a map for me so I was able to find my way. He would have gone with me, but he doesn't get home from work until late during his busy season.

Everyone was so nice and friendly. This is a really active Kiwanis group-they meet every Tuesday night and have a potluck before the meeting. After we were done eating, I spoke for about 20 minutes. I told how FM has affected my life, about how some people are totally disabled, the trials and tribulations of getting disability, the lack of understanding in the medical profession, symptoms-mainly the pain and lack of sleep, etc. I also passed out some information on FM, including a map of trigger points. I am hopeful that they will consider doing a fundraiser. The lady who invited me has a friend with FM, so that should help.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know how it went. I think the more I do this, the more comfortable I will get.

Ellen Comstock
  2. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

So wonderful what you are doing! I plan on starting a support group and hope to do what you are doing. We need good, positive and informative PR out there. Go, warrior gal!
    Hayley
  3. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

I just wanted to say well done it is nice to no someone is spredding the word keep going it will get easier every time
    (((((((((big hugs)))))))))))))
    keep up the good work
    Loopyloo xxx
  4. fibrorebel

fibrorebel New Member

Again I am so very proud of you! I am glad it went well, when we are speaking of something that has such an impact on our life it is truly amazing what can flow from us, eh?! love, Rebel
  5. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

I looked up your bio but you didn't say what part of Tn. you are from??? Are you by Knoxville?? Linda
  6. pam_d

pam_d New Member

....that you are a hero to all of us, Ellen!!! A lot of us, myself included, probably think about doing stuff like this but just don't get out there. Maybe your example will motivate all of us! Some part of Tennessee is a little more knowledgeable and, hopefully, more compassionate & tolerable, today, thanks to you!!

Way to go!!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is so important and it was wonderful of you to do this. Public education is sooooo effective in furthering our cause.

Love, Mikie
  8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

for your encouragement and praise. I was nervous about doing this, but so glad that I did. I think I would have been mad at myself had I turned down this offer to speak.

I am a little confused and guess I will have to check my bio-maybe I put in the wrong state? I'm from Tecumseh, Michigan not from Tennessee.

Anyway, thanks again.

Ellen
  9. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

Hi fellow Knoxvillian! I'm in Fountain City, where are you?
    Hayley
  10. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

OMG you are so close!!! I lived in fountain city when we first moved here. I am off buffet mills. Behind Home depot! Are you going to Greenville? Me and hubby are!!! My addy is on my bio!!! Write me. Linda
  11. ahgatto

ahgatto New Member

FM is so misunderstood, misdiagnosed, mistreated...
  12. insomniac1

insomniac1 New Member

Hi good job i hope i can soon learn as much about this newly dx thing for me i would love to some day be able to speak to others about it too so we can get the word out that it is a real thing keep up the good work, kris
  13. pands45

pands45 New Member

U r such a brave person to do such a thing. I know it was hard on u. I am so glad that it all worked out. Hugs, Sherri
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2003]
  14. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

How impressive!!!! Good for you!!! June
  15. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

I have just recently started to put thought into starting a group in my area. Have any ideas about where to have the meetings and is there a cost or should I look for someone to donate their building for the meetings? I use to work for the news paper here and someone mentioned on this site that I can place an add for free about fibro/cfs. Is that true? Do you place flyers at the grocery stores, wal-mart, the hospital...? Do you give your home phone number to get interested persons? Should I get a partner or several in case I am too sick that day to speak? I have also heard of getting speakers of a professional nature, how do you do that? Fund raisers are used for what? The use of the meeting room or to get a guest speaker? I am very interested in starting a group and I want it to be successful, so I want those of you with some experience to give me some advise. Thank you for steering me in the right direction. I am actually quite excited about something for once. Looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Sis p.s. We also have a radio station with a program called the Trading Post that I could advertise for free because it is a non for profit group. Maybe that would help. Maybe I could put flyers in the doctors offices, I am getting all sorts of ideas!