I did it.Quit my job!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tinaeve, Jul 6, 2003.

1. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

Yes,I finally made the decision to change my direction and work towards a more quality of life.I went to Vocational Rehabilitation,here in the state of Indiana.According to their guidelines Fibro is enough of a disability to get assistance from the state in finding a job.They are paying for me to attend some computer basics classes in the hopes of finding an office job of some sort.25 years in a factory had taken it's toll on me and I simply could not do the work or take the stress of my midnight shift hours.I am truly amazed at how much better I feel already(it has been 2 weeks)I have appied for unemployment benefits .Haven't got an answer yet,but am hopeful.They wanted a statement from my doc stating that I quit due to my illness.Now,get this... I have been to 2 Rhuemys who both told me I should find easier work but when I asked for that statement they both refused! My family doc was great and had no problem giving me a statement.I was really disappointed in my new Rheumy,she was supposed to be so fibro-friendly.Said fibro was not a disability.Any way,if I am granted unemployment,I have already been told by them that I won't have to lookfor a job while I am taking classes.So,if all works out I will be on my way to a new and improved life!!And this has proven to me how much stress can be such a factor in this disease.Getting normal hours and being out of the heat and strain of factory life has greatly improved my pain.Thank you all so much for just being here to read my story!!!! tinaeve
  2. Lendi

Lendi New Member

Sounds like you are on your way to a new and healthier life. Enjoy your classes. I've always thought that stress really triggered some of the symptoms.
  3. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Good for you, girl. You will never miss the heat and the hassle of that factory job. You will miss the money tho. I hope you saved a lot.
    I worked for 23 years in the printing industry and there can't be a hotter environment except for working at a steel mill. I despised summer and was ready to resign every day because they cared so little about people passing out from heat stroke there.
    I was rich then, but even tho I'm a pauper now, I wouldn't go back even if I could.
    It's wonderful that you're going to school and changing what you do. I wish you the strength and will to do it. Good luck, N
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And good luck to you. You are smart. I didn't listen to my body and just worked myself into the ground. That's why it has taken so long to make progress toward some healing.

Love, Mikie
  5. franners

franners New Member

Congradulations!!!!
    You deserve it!!!
  6. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

Congratulations! Was it Dr. Thornberry who told you FMS doesn't qualify as a disability? I haven't seen her in ages and am thinking of just going to my Family Doctor to handle the FMS now. I don't think there's too much more she can do for me. Good luck!

Annette2
  7. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

It was Dr, Thornberry who said fibro wasn't a disability. I was pretty upset over that.I feel like you ,will probably let my family doc manage my care.Dr, Thornberry is so far for me to go and my family doc will pretty much try anything I suggest and work with me.
  8. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

I would think that every state has some sort of rehabilitation program.I would cal the Workforce Development(unemployment office) and ask.Also look in phone book under Vocational Rehab.It pays to look and call around and thats what I did.
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Hi Tinaeve. I did factory work for 11 years and I know how hard it is on your body. I had to quite my job several years ago because I had so much damage to my hands, so much bad back and neck problems. It really takes a toll on a person. We farm also and I can`t do much of that anymore either. I don`t know how I did all the things I used to do.

Good luck on finding something that works out better for you. I`m a stay at home mom and still help on the farm a little. That`s more then I can handle sometimes. My FM has gotten very severe on me the last few years. I hope it gets better someday, I want my active life back!
  10. pearls

pearls New Member

I just retired from teaching. It is a very different occupation than factory work, but I guarantee you that stress is huge in teaching. I notice a real difference every time my stress is lessened. Since I used to have a few weeks at Christmas, a week at Easter, and two months in the summer, I've had times when my stress is much less than other times, such as the last two weeks of school when everyone is crazy - and that's just the adults! L.O.L.

I'm in your corner.

Hugs,
    -Pearl
  11. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

Yeaaaah!!! COngratulations for having the courage to quit a job that was doing you more harm than good. Good luck to you in your new ventures.