I did my search:But is HHV-6 contagious???????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TiredbutWired, Oct 23, 2002.

1. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

I have been up all night and day researching this but still have questions.Are there certain precautions I should be taking to make sure my family and freinds do not get this.I already have mono and am very careful to not share cups and utensils or kissing.I read that 95% of people test positive for HHV-6 and it just lays dormant in healthy people.I got the ELISA antibody test done and my titers were 7.35 and it looks like 1.oo is positive.This explains a lot of my immune problems.My next question is there anyway to know if you had this as a child and it reactivated or did I just recently get it?My doctor said it could come from physical contact but it is not a sexually transmitted disease.I am trying to learn all I can but I heard the word Herpes and I felt like I should be ashamed and could not tell anyone.So knowledge is power I read several of the old posts under search.If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction,I am pretty tired but WIRED.HA!Ha!lolTracey
  2. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

I have been up all night and day researching this but still have questions.Are there certain precautions I should be taking to make sure my family and freinds do not get this.I already have mono and am very careful to not share cups and utensils or kissing.I read that 95% of people test positive for HHV-6 and it just lays dormant in healthy people.I got the ELISA antibody test done and my titers were 7.35 and it looks like 1.oo is positive.This explains a lot of my immune problems.My next question is there anyway to know if you had this as a child and it reactivated or did I just recently get it?My doctor said it could come from physical contact but it is not a sexually transmitted disease.I am trying to learn all I can but I heard the word Herpes and I felt like I should be ashamed and could not tell anyone.So knowledge is power I read several of the old posts under search.If anyone has any info or can point me in the right direction,I am pretty tired but WIRED.HA!Ha!lolTracey
  3. kay

kay New Member

I have a question for you?? If you show up having the Epstein Bar virus, does, that mean you are contagious and have mono? The DR. nurse (new one) called today and said my white count is still up and my epstein Bar is WAY up also. Both have been up for a while and my Dr. doesn't know why? May-be not saying, who knows? He is going to do a mycoplasma test next month when I go back:) I am going to reasearch it, also here shortly. Thanks, Linda Toodles
  4. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

I think that there is a difference you can have EBV and not have mono,the test they did on me was with a IgG and Igm and when it was positive they could tell by the test that I had just gotten it within the last 4to6 weeks.I had no appetite and got a rash on my back but the sore throat and fatigue had for months so do not feel a lot different except I have strep throat now but it does not feel that bad either.I hope I helped some.Tracey
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I was going to look up some info for you but forgot I sent my book about HHV6 to a friend to read. If you're into reading than buy the book 'The Virus Within' by Nicholas Regush (spelling of last name looks wrong but its something like that) It's a whole lot of info. on HHV6 - really good reading!! AMY
  6. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

Thank you I will do that.Thanks for the info,Tracey
  7. kay

kay New Member

for replying.I just cant figure out why it is always so high and for what reason. I am going to get my lab work and have my other docotr look at it! H ave a great night. Linda
  8. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

The book I'm looking at says that they think HHV6 is transmitted through the exchange of bodily fluids in the same manner that AIDS is transmitted, but personally I'm not so sure and I'm inclined to think it may also be airbourne, but that is just my opinion. I don't think anyone can say for sure.
    Controlling my bodily fluids is a real problem since my hands crack and bleed all winter long and I get blood on things I handle. I should probably wear plastic gloves, but the thought of more expense on top of what I can't afford now.... (aw heck, I'm cheap). Then again I uncontrollably sneeze all over everything without warning so being careful about bodily fluids is easier said than done. Chances are the people around me have been exposed to this virus because I was spreading it around long before I even knew what it was. I've always felt I had something contagious, but there was no one in the medical profession who would take me seriously much less instruct me. There still isn't.
    Do you have a dishwasher? That might help to sterilize your flatware and dishes although I think I was reading something yesterday that said this virus is not easily destroyed by the normal practices used to sterilize things, (bleach, high heat, etc.)but it couldn't hurt.
    Most people don't consider this disease a sexually transmitted disease.
    The variant form of herpes that is considered a childhood illness is not the same as the one linked to chronic fatigue syndrome.
    There is just so much about this disease we don't know.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]