I didn't know this : GENE link with chronic Lyme

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by victoria, Sep 23, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

I read this on the website 'about' on rheumatoid arthritis after reading about this genetic link and worse chronic cases of Lyme on a yahoo group I'm on:

----------
    The HLA-DR4 gene, which has been associated with rheumatoid arthritis, has also shown involvement in Lyme disease. Lyme disease is caused by a microorganism which is transmitted to humans via deer ticks. Among the symptoms which can develop from Lyme disease are:

joint pain
    inflammation
    arthritis

People who have the disease more severely and do not respond well to the antibiotic treatment are more often found to have the HLA-DR4 gene.

It has been theorized that once the microorganism moves to the joints, the immune response against it cross reacts with the person's own joint tissue in people who have the HLA-DR4 gene, leading to an autoimmune reaction.

-----------------------

Don't know what that means in terms of treatment - just takes longer or -- ? From what I've read, it doesn't mean that everyone with this gene will be necessarily worse with Lyme, but if the symptoms of Rh. Arthritis shows up, it will take longer....

at least that's what I THOUGHT I understood.

Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 09/23/2006]
  2. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

It would be intersting to do a survey on lymenet and see if those who get better faster have joint pain or are without joint pain .

I do not have bad joint pain , and my blood work does not indicate high levels of inflammation.
    How about others ?
  3. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi All,

I have to add that I have severe joint pain and have what I guess is Lyme arthritis. Mostly affecting my hand/thumb joints, knees, one hip and shoulders.

This is very interesting to me as for years my doctors thought I had RA and I did have all the symptoms, except no positive blood test. So if Lyme can cause RA, I wonder what the treatment would be, certainly not steroids, which I have been on, only to make me sicker. Now I know that Lyme people cannot take steroids.

Thanks so much Victoria.

Mindy
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

unfortunately, my son has joint and muscle pain and carpal tunnel in both wrists... the latter is the most aggravating as he is intensely interested in guitar, taught himself to play, composes, etc... and cannot do it right now.

While at least his pulse and BP has normalized, he still has pain and cognitive problems... but I am hoping that as the 18 month period of treatment approaches, he will start to see improvement elsewhere.

(Townsend Letter had talked about a study that showed it took oral or IV abx 18 months to penetrate cell-wall form of Lyme)

best,
    Victoria