I do not have FM......misdiagnosed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sapphire, Sep 3, 2003.

1. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I had surgery on my neck for cervical stenosis 9 weeks ago. The good news is that I have not had any pain since and before I had surgery, I was in constant pain. Dr. Heffez is finding that some actually have stenosis but are being dx'd with FM. The symptoms are very similar.

The bad news is that I still have CFS. He thinks that is caused from my neck also but it has been going on 14 years and has caused some permanent damage. He says it takes up to a year to really know what the surgery has done for me so I still have hope. Overall though, I am much better and am so glad I had the surgery. I am in a 2 year study for people that have been dx'd with FM and stenosis. At least, he's doing some research trying to figure this out.

I just wanted to let you know because I know alot of you have neck problems. If you can get an MRI done, Dr. Heffez will review your films free of charge. You just have to send them to him. He's not in it just for the money because he looked at my daughter's MRI and said she was not a candidate for surgery. He has a web site so you can look him up and it tells about his research also.

Oh, and the other big improvement is that the brainfog is gone. I can actually think again.

Take care,
    Sapphire
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Wow! This is good news and I am so happy for you.

Some damage from CFIDS thought to be permanent clears up if the patient can get better so don't give up hope yet.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  3. 2girls

2girls New Member

This is great news Sapphire! I did a few searches on Dr. Heffez - very intriguing. It's interesting to see the similarities between FM/spinal stenosis/chiari.

I am going for cervical/TMJ exrays tomorrow (new doc wants to start here).

I hope your wellness continues - keep us updated.

2girls
  4. debbiem31

debbiem31 New Member

I'm so happy for you!! I'm kinda hoping that I have Chiari Malformation. My symptoms are very much on target for that. I'm going to a GP on Monday to start. I will ask to be referred to a neurologist that knows how to identify and test for CM. It would be so wonderful to actually have a chance of getting better!

Good luck to you...
  5. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I'm so glad the surgery helped, congratulations. I heard about this a couple of years ago, had the MRI, unfortunately - that was not my problem. Wow, wonder what it would be like not to have brainfog!

Good luck with the CFS.
  6. beckster

beckster New Member

and Dr. Heffez. Hope the other stuff clears too. At least
    you have a great start on it.
  7. wildzootv

wildzootv New Member

I am so glad that your pain and brain fog went away. I hope continued recovery for you. I hope they find something soon for the cfs