I Do Not Like Women Doctors...A Big Deal?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Jul 20, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello gang:

I had to say it. I really do not like a woman doctor. I always feel like it is a power play. They are wonderful, I am not. I always feel that they are playing Goddess of Medicine.

Maybe it has only been my experiences. Men seem to take more interest in me. They take their time and usually have loads of decorum in dealing with me.

Hey==am I the only one?

nyrofan
  2. place

place New Member

I guess like some of the other man docs there are some who are playing godess of med.

In general, I have liked 75% of all my women docs and only 30-40% of my male docs.

It's hard socially to see women act agressive, dominant and cocky, expecially if they are in charge of us.

Sometimes I feel the same way when my boss is a woman, almost like they have to fight for respect becuase they are a woman.

3. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

After many years of having pap tests done by male doctors, I had one performed by a woman doctor, and let me tell you, I decided right then and there that I would never let a man give me a pap test ever again. With the men, it was not painful but uncomfortable. With the woman doc, it was so quick, and I didn't fell a thing. When she said "ok, you can sit up now", I couldn't believe she had already done it. When I said "already, you're done?" She laughed saying "yeah, I'm quick. I know what it's like." Made me pretty angry with all those stupid male doctors I had suffered through before.
  4. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

With the exception on one all my women doctors have been kind and compassionate. I much prefer a woman doctor to a man anyday!

The one was a right B to me.. but I just never went back.

I agree with the pap tests.. I have had many and done by both men and women and the women were the best ;)
  5. kat2002

kat2002 New Member

I have to say that I do not like men doctors. My primary care physician for the last 15 years is a woman, and if she refers me for anything, I ask for a woman doctor for that too.

I don't think it's a big deal either way, just personal preference!
    Kat
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

because in general,they are more comfortable about conversation.They don't cut you off.I've had 3 woman doctors during my FMS(one was a neurologist who diagnosed me.)My records were so good that I got disability on the first try.Linda
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

just as long as they are a well informed, compassionate, and professional Physician, Physician's Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner. I have had both sexes as my physicians.

Thanks,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 07/20/2006]
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Well--maybe it is me. Male doctors just treat me so nicely,like a sister. Female doctors always seem to be in a power-play mode.

It might just be me. I accept that. Yet---I will take a man over a woman anytime.

nyrofan
  9. MamaR

MamaR New Member

After reading my venting story, I guess you know what I will say........I wish for a understanding doctor. WHERE ARE THEY?

Mari
  10. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mari:

They are all out there. It is like buying a pig in a poke.
    You never know what you are walking into. Qaualications for sure. 'Bedside Manner', what they used to call it, but how about now. What kind of manner do they have.

I guess it is hit and miss. Our experiences are all different.

You are a fighter: keep it up!

Nyrofan
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

rickj44:

That is so funny because I feel like the male docs I have are big brothers of the same age. They are so nice to me
    and know we are of the same generation.

This post has really opened my eyes.

nyrofan
  12. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I personally would not make a general statement saying I prefer one over the other. I have been terribly mistreated by some male doctors. But I have seen some that are great. Most of the female doctors I've seen have been wonderful. I've never encountered any "power play" situations with woman.

Lolalee
  13. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

Guess I have been lucky.

It was Female Dr. who was able to finally dx me, with the FMS.

It was a Female Dr. that discovered I had Tumors on my Ovaries, and did an OP that made it possible for me to finally have my Son.

It was a Female Dr. who delivered my Baby, and sat with me through the grueling 18 hr's of labor.
    Of course that was back in the 70's, and things were different back then.

After 4 Male Dr.s destroyed my Rotator Cuff, botched a C7Lamanitocy, and crippled my left leg, and my right hand.

Nope I perfeer Female Dr.s as they can relate to what I am going through, because of the other Female Problems I have,.

I have a Male Dr. for my Primary, but he consults with my Rhuemotoligst Dr. Who is Female, lol.
    He's not up on FMS treatments, and he listens to me, and Believes me, when I say I can't take that med, or can I try a new med. (within reason)

My Pain Dr. is a Male, but I usually end up, being seen, by his Pain Prescribing Nurse. Yes, she's a Female too.

I never really thought of this before, thanks for the Topic, and something New to think about,

Thanks ED, ......lol.....
  14. libra55

libra55 New Member

Believe it or not I have never been to a female physician! And I am 50 years old.

So I have nothing to really compare with.

Michelle
  15. mary124

mary124 New Member

I prefer male over female doctors-more comfortable around them I guess, all of my doctors are male, with the exception of the PA for my pain management doc and she is female. I see her every 3 to 6 months.
  16. AbbeyMae

AbbeyMae New Member

Nyro fan---

I myself see good and bad in both sexes. But, personally, I believe that women understand pain more than men.

But I see your opinion has a lot of others agreeing with you and also a lot disagreeing. It all adds up to our personal experiences.

I do have to say that my last 2 experiences with female Dr.s have been like yours. One was an ob/gyn and she acted like she was better than I. The other is the female Physician Asst. that works in my PCP's office, and she definitely has an attitude. I will never make an Appt. with her again.

Actually I am looking for a new Doc, for other reasons. However I won't have to worry about having to take an Appt. with the Physician Asst., but I will miss his Medical Asst.(back office). She is exceptional.

Love and hugs,

AbbeyMae
  17. keke466

keke466 New Member

My dr's are women. Prefer them over men anyday. I'm more comfortable around them. They are easier to talk to and more understanding. My youngest sister had a women dr and she was great with her. She had a baby after 14 yrs. and found 5 tumors and cervical cancer. Just did hystorectomy and removed it all. Very good with her and the baby.

The main dr is young and she dx me with fm in 98. I had never heard of it. But I'm not really crazy about her personality. The pa that works in her office is my main dr and I was seeing her before when she was at the other clinic.

Keke
  18. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

For the longest time I was frustrated that all the male docs I'd seen seemed/were...uninterested and short with me. So when I needed a new GP I decided to find a female...my pastors (whom I adore, who lead me to my God) wife at that. I had such high hopes goin in (maybe that was were I went wrong?) She was by far the worst doc I have ever seen! NO bedside manner, didn't listen and had no interest in my pain...as a matter of fact she told me to "just get over it" no male doc had ever had the nerve to say that to me, even if they were crappy and didn't help much. I felt sure that being a pastors wife she would have more empathy yet she had NONE! So I planned to just use her for hte routine colds and stuff but She "fired" me when I called to discuss referral to someone who would deal with my pain issues. I ended up writing her a pretty blunt letter...don't know if she read it but it made me feel better. I recently saw in the newspaper that she left that practice and went to and OB/GYN practice...OMG I feel sorry for the women she delivers baby's for as from what I gathered from her she doesnt' believe in ANY pain meds at all.......
    I won't say I'll never see another woman but she really gave me a bad taste in my mouth ya know?