I Do Not Want to Live Again in New York

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Feb 17, 2007.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all--

I hope all are so very well.

I have a problem and it is giving me a really bad flare.

I am basically confined to bed, which is not like me.

I got a call and a visit from an agency who wants to buy my house.

They want me and my neighbors out. And it stretches the block on both sides. Some will sell, some will not.

Yes, it is hurting my fibro/CFS; never do I stay in bed all day, but I am upset all can do is cry.

Some of the residents have already signed away their homes.

I do not want to lose my home. I have lived here for so many years and planned to spend my life here.

I am in Brooklyn Heights and I would most likely have to move to Manhattan. Yes, high priced and so small.

The Bronx is somewhat broken down, but have some very big apartments.

My problem: how can I handle this without flaring through this.

I am so upset I just want to give up.

All of my adult life I have lived here and although not evicted by the city for 'the betterment of the area'--I know they want to build high rises.

I just do not want to get sick (well, it is too late) to worry about this.

My question: What do I do when this is all I worry about 24 hours a day.

Yes, I am also flaring.

love to all,

nyrofan
  2. dononagin

dononagin New Member

No answers.. just sending love..
  3. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

Do you have to sell or are they just pressuring you? Sorry I don't know much about real estate.

If you DO have to move though, here's a way of thinking about it to cause less stress, possibly. Could it somehow be a new beginning? A change of scenery leading to a change in physical and mental states?

I was evicted from a place I really loved, not that long ago. Due to lucky circumstances I am now better off than where I was before. Although the process of moving was extrememly stressful, it did come to an end. I hope something good comes out of this for you at the other end.

You know the expression 'a change is as good as a rest'? Sometimes change can open up other parts of your life.

In any case, take VERY good care of yourself.
    yellowbird
    [This Message was Edited on 02/17/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/17/2007]
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Yellowbird:

You are right. They are offering me triple the money I had paid the house for (actually more, consdering inflation).

I just planned to spend the rest of my days here, so happy, so serene, so comfortably.

I have lived here since i was 20 (kicked husband out after getting the dx when I just about turned 50: said he could not handle it).

Sure, I could turn over much money, but from Brooklyn Heights to Manhattan is like living in a matchbox after being in a cigar box (if you know what I mean).

I am really flaring, though. I try not to worry, but I do not want to lose my home.

So far, no city 'evictions' for the betterment of the area, etc. The homes are too nice, but in a good location (for thier intentions).

I think they will lose in their intentions. Too many of us
    have lived here years. I asked my doctor/neighbor and he said he will not sell also.

It seems like bluff, but four have sold.

I hope I can hang on because my home is so important to me.
    Although I lost my little girl when she was struck down by a drunk driver when she was ten, I can still see her romping down the stairs and playing records, etc.

It is my only connection, you know?

Anyway, thank you for asking. i am sitting here because I can use all the help i can get before the tears start up.

Do you know what I mean?

nyrofan

The divorce
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Thanks, girls:

You always make me feel such better, especially with different possibilities.

At least it is opening my mind.

You know, when you are older and have these things happen to you, it comes as a jolt.

I feel just so much bitter after being here.

nyrofan
  6. achingbytch

achingbytch New Member

Hello NYROfan
    I live here in Brooklyn, on the poorer side of town as Brooklyn Heights is considered prime territory:) I feel badly for you for losing your home. If you are being bought out, you can probably take your pick of affordable communities almost anywhere.
    What about considering going outside NY altogether? Someplace warm, less chaotic and hostile, less competitive and welcoming, someplace where family and values actually mean something rather than how much money you make and what your job title is...might be less stressful.
    If I had half a chance and this opportunity, my bags would already be packed.
    Every door closing is another door opening...think of the possibilities, not just the stress in front of you. Good luck!
  7. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

I'm not a mother, so in terms of the memories of your daughter I don't know what to say except how sad I feel for you.

I really do know about 'home', though, I adored my old place, felt so comfortable, so lucky to live there. Everything was exactly how I wanted it, I was very attached to the place and I *still* miss it, one year later. BUT being in this new place has been really good for me so far.

In terms of where it would be best to go, I don't know the area but maybe you need to 'think outside the box', like bytch suggested...
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Achingbysy:

Starting over--not for me (I hope). I know what you mean, but there is so much to be going over. Between all it all it is confusing.

I can not focus, I lose my train of thought, I can not remember from one day to the next.

Well, so much for the drama of it all.

You know: you can have money in the bank for 'emergencies', but how much is it really worth it? How much $$$ do we spend? And do we get our best of care.

Sometimes I wonder.

love to all,
    nyrofan