I don't get colds anymore

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rickj44, Oct 13, 2009.

1. rickj44

rickj44 Member

Since this illness started in 1996 i haven't had a cold or flue, been 13 yrs, not complaining one bit, but very unusual for a guy that use to get a couple colds a year and flue once and awhile. Everybody around me gets sick and i know i am getting germs, you cannot help but not too.

I told this too my Dr and he replied. " Touch Wood" in other words it went right over his head. not that he can do anything about it, but atleast he could have said something more in line with a connection between FM and the common cold i use too get.

I am thinking this year, No Flue shot.. i am getting really down on the thought of having it. For one thing i dont work , and am house bound most the time.
    And i find this illness slowly progressing.
    I notice my right foot will get warmer and then normal, once and awhile.. strange feeling, and i am not telling my Dr. he will say something dumb.

I hate having this.. its a struggle everyday. I use to be a strong male, I have changed alot, still a male :) but very weak.. When i do things i am in high gear.. feel like i carrying a person on my back..

2. rickj44

rickj44 Member

I am thinking this illness has Elevated my immune system and that is why i am not getting sick.. and why i have so much fatigue.

I have no idea if its true.. but when i take Prednisone i feel much better, and as we know prednisone suppresses the immune system.
  3. bakeman

bakeman New Member

If you look up old posts you will find many have commented on this in the past.

4. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Actually it's true! The immune system in people with severe or progressing M.E. is usually chronically activated, so it's ALWAYS on guard instead of having to wait for a bug to activate it. It's almost a good thing, because when we're in this state, any infection is just devastating. Getting colds/infections again can actually be a sign that you're improving. Strange, eh?

When I first fell ill, I got one cold in three years, and that happened as I was starting to go into remission. Unfortunatly I then got EVERYthing that was going around, to the point of relapsing again. But since then, again, I've rarely gotten anything.

You may be -physically- weak, but I bet you're a stronger person now than you could have ever imagined, and that's amazing. ;)
  5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist over 25 years ago, probably close to 30 years with FMS. I had bronchitis and pneumonia, then bronchitis, sinus infections. After further work up, I was found to have an immune deficiency. It is considered "primary" immune deficiency.

I have wondered, maybe after 25-30 years of trying to conquer an unseen virus, if maybe my immune system was simply depleted..... this is just me thinking out loud.

But, children, young children, have the same immune deficiency I have so........ I belong to a support group, most of us are receiving immunoglobulins...very expensive treatment.

I am getting over a cold right now.

6. jole

jole Member

I had bronchitis at least once a year before getting totally down with FM...but in the past 7 years I haven't been sick at all. There are times I feel like a cold is coming on..sore throat, swollen glands, etc. but it's gone in a day or two. Never a fever.

The "constantly turned on immune system" is what I describe also, which makes me wonder if we really DID catch something what would happen. Since we seem to be in overdrive all the time and actually came down with something like H1N1, would we have a chance at all of fighting it off? Just wondering..............but not worrying, 'cause there's nothing I can do about it anyway, lol...