I don't have arthritis but have FM would the same meds work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrohugslife, Feb 6, 2006.

1. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I know that there has been a debate on whether Fibromyalgia is an inflammory disease or not but I believe that it is a cousin the arthritis. I have been doing searches for past posts but I have not come up with anything concrete and I am a little behind on replying to posts here.

Do you think that the same meds that are prescribed to those that have arthritis would work for us?

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and will be getting new meds as my old ones are not working as well and my pain level is over the top, and I also suffer through fatigue.

I know that Stormskye has a shake but I can't take half of those ingredients on there because of my IBS. I have been making my own shake that won't affect my IBS issues.

Anyway please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Nicole
    [This Message was Edited on 02/06/2006]
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I was put on Celebrex for a while, but stopped them when I discovered supplements did just as well in controlling the pain.
  3. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Hi, do be careful. I took slow release Ibuprofen for FMS for years,on my then G.P.'s advice, & believe that it greatly contributed to my present horrible Interstitial Cystitis. it's very acidic.

Dr St Amand believes that untreated FMS can eventually become arthritis when our bodies run out of places to store the phosphates that we are genetically unable to rid ourselves of, & begins to store them in our joints. He believes that it is not possible to reverse the resulting joint damage, although his treatment will rid the body of phosphates stored elsewhere. That's one theory anyway. You can find it on his Guaidoc website.
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

It becomes very clear that the way it works is as an anti-inflamatory. I think the bumps in our skin are inflamation and could be phosphate based or some other thing. I think Guai works well, although I think we may not need the whole protocol(although I know a lot of you do the whole thing)when you see all the other research into Guai, so I have found it works(for me at least) without being too het up on the asprin connection etc. I realise now that when I have taken this for water in the ear and asthma in the past, my FM has gotten better too. I admit I am new to using it just for the FM, and bow to better knowledge than mine. It just seems to work no matter for me.

I like Mark London's research on Guai, although we are all indebted to Dr St Armad for starting the use of this in the first place, although I see from old herbals that the bark of the Guaic tree was used for centuries for inflamation and aching bones and flesh!

So I do think it is inflamation for me, but maybe there are different types of FM too. As there are different types of other connective tissue diseases.

Love Anne
  5. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I have trying many different anti-flammatories medicines and well none of them have worked or worked long enough. I am taking quite a few herbal supplements, and I am about try Sam-E.

I have tried Guaifen sp? and it did not work for me a few years ago. I will be going to a warm water exercise classes soon in addition to the exercise that I do (Yoga, and walking).

I am just trying to figure out the avenues to go in trying to get some relief. My doctor just prescribed Tylenol3 that has codeine in it and that scares me to take it. So I figure I would take it when my pain is really over the top and I feel like jumping out of a window.
    Somehow the doctor does not seem to understand why I want elephant tranquilizers instead, I would sleep really well and not feel a thing for a week or two...aaaah but I digress LOL.

Nicole

6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

In order for Guai to work we need to avoid salicylates as they use the same receptors on the kidneys. The Gauidoc website explains it.